Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 74239 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »

I've been in the beta.
I already sunk 20 hours into it, and that's just going through Act 1 on my own, which is the shortest act in the game.
It's also the only one in the beta. There are four total.

Add the multiplayer, the mods, and everything else...  Let's just say I can't wait for the release.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 01:14:55 pm »

I am hopeful that I can get into the beta at some point.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 01:40:18 pm »

Torchlight 1 seemed like its environments were less interesting than Diablo 1's, which was a disappointment (and they were all cluttered).  If the sequel has more interesting environments, while still allowing good amounts statwhoring, I'm all for it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 02:11:42 pm »

Personally I hope they have more interactivity with the environments ala the fixed maps with puzzles in Torchlight 1. Those were always a nice surprise when I got to them.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 02:58:16 pm »

If the sequel has more interesting environments, while still allowing good amounts statwhoring, I'm all for it.
I wasn't keeping track of the number of environments specifically, but there are three main overland areas in Act 1.
With exception to the first, which is a linear game introduction sort of thing (I'm sortof hoping they'll redesign this for the final game), each of these is a rather large area with a variety of regions (For example, the second one has a camp of trappers who, obviously, laid bear traps everywhere which really hurt!)
Personally I hope they have more interactivity with the environments ala the fixed maps with puzzles in Torchlight 1.
I've seen a puzzle. I'd say there's just a really really low chance for that chunk to spawn, and there's only that one chunk in the beta. With that in mind, there will probably be more puzzles in the final game.
There are a few interactive elements that weren't seen in T1 either -- a golden chest that requires a key from a particular mob to open (the loot from these is extremely crappy at the moment), a wall statue that requires a gemstone (a drop from a nearby Champion creature) that activates a teleporter to a small pile of loot (again, crappy stuff, but it's a nice concept), bandit camps with prisoners who will give you (absolutely AWFUL) loot (I REALLY hope they improve the loot table for these...  not once did they give me anything even REMOTELY useful), ghost chests that are locked until you defeat the ghosts haunting them, etc.

In any case, mods are your friend if you find the game isn't up to snuff already.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 11:04:54 am »

After watching some of the videos of this, I think I want to buy Torchlight two. It reminds me a lot of FATE, which I enjoyed a lot. Oh FATE, what found memories we used to share, what with my uber epic short(?)sword with ALL the echantments* which made anything in its way FUBAR, and my constant search for epic loot to sell in order to pay the bard to increase my fame.

*All of them.

@Jay
Could be luck of the draw, really. I know one guy who got fucktons of weapons on his play through. Not shitty ones either, some were pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:08:05 am by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 11:44:22 am »

Another game thread with no information about the game, except for people who already know about it.  I've barely heard about this game and anything with a B12 thread is usually legit, and yet I can't find it within myself to care enough to look it up.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »

Girlinhat, while I can't be bothered to write a full synopsis of TL2, I can offer you a copy of TL1 on Steam if you want to see if the gameplay is to your liking

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 12:32:12 pm »

I'm actually replaying the first Torchlight and it brought up a question for anyone who's played the beta of the second. I tend to like non-traditional character customizations and I have two Torchlight characters, the ranger girl (using wands and her most spell-like abilities with most of the stat points in magic and some in dex) and a mage (dual wielding axes with the magic shield, elemental resists, and pets everywhere, and stat points split between strength, magic, and defense). Are the weird builds still a possibility in the second game? I've seen some of the engineer's skill trees that make it look like he can go a couple directions but I haven't seen the other characters.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 01:13:11 pm »

The basic pitch: what if Diablo 3 was more like Diablo 2, but slightly cuter and expanding the open world stuff. Add in extras like pets and fishing (it is a collaboration between the creator of FATE and the creators of Diablo) and you'll get an idea. Fully moddable (with Steam Workshop support IIRC), and adding co-op into the mix this time (even LAN mode!) it is a pretty cool little game, for only $20.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 02:50:46 pm »

never heard of this, nor do I have any clue what it's about.

I prefer to find that sort of stuff out in the OP *hint hint*
Exactly.
Girlinhat, while I can't be bothered to write a full synopsis of TL2, I can offer you a copy of TL1 on Steam if you want to see if the gameplay is to your liking
Heck yeah free stuff :D  My steam account is linked to girlinhat42@yahoo.com - and to all you who are like "zomg girlinhat's steam" don't even think about it!  I keep my friend list generally light.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 03:35:59 pm »

Sent!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 03:42:14 pm »

I'll instal it tonight.  I get crappy 150kb/s and it'll take like 4 hours AND all my bandwidth, so I'll do it when I'm asleep.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 05:34:29 pm »

I didn't know this game would support mods. This may change things.

Not that good reports and a $20 pricetag wouldn't have, but modability can go quite a bit beyond just making the game "good."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 05:47:37 pm »

Another game for me to pick up at some point. I enjoyed Torchlight 1, although I haven't really explored it fully. Maybe I should do that at some point soon.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21