Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 74230 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #255 on: September 24, 2012, 06:04:50 pm »

Is there any proper tanky builds for berserkers anywhere? Cause I seem to be dying an awful lot in elite due to enemies with knockbacks, especially in act 2.

I think it was last page where I pointed out that Shadow Burst makes you nearly unkillable.  Just bounce back and forth a couple times through enemies every time you take damage.  If you keep the skill high-level, it heals a lot, and you don't take damage while doing it.  You can also use it to avoid heavy attacks.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2012, 11:31:20 pm »

I've discovered that a Wand Chaos-based embermage is ridiculously hard to do on elite. Enemies mob you, and you can't do anything about it until at least level 7 if you re-stated your starting spell (which I did). You basically need to lure everything one by one when there is a large number of enemies. I'm going to hate the story bosses so much, but the DPS is going to be so worth it later.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2012, 11:40:02 pm »

That's what happens when you go with a glass cannon build that can't fill the screen with spellspam.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:04 am »

Had a lot of fun today theorycrafting with different people on steam, which was a nice change of pace from grinding through the game on a new character every few hours because I had a new idea.

I haven't even cleared act3 yet, then again, all of my new characters are on Elite now.

Some thoughts on the best skills in the game or for each class...
Engineer: Forcefield, healbot - having these on any difficulty less than Elite means you should not be losing health. Engineer is possibly the most versatile class with many build options but there's no reason not to carry these two skills on any engineer.
Berserker: Shadow Burst. Already covered. Why is this a level one skill again?
Outlander: Glaive throw clears rooms, although not as quickly as...
Embermage: Prismatic bolt - the one point wonder. Then put all your points in elemental attunement and the elemental brand passives and watch everything melt. Phase shifting ice teleport - you should not be getting hit.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2012, 06:30:12 am »

So I'm still hanging in there with that hardcore elite berserker I've been talking about.  It's gotten very difficult to survive.  I had to grind the Crow's Pass several times before I felt ready for the Frozen Hills.  There's just too many things in that area that cast horrendous burst damage spells.  I definitely need higher resistances, but I'm not going to find gear upgrades without pressing on.

One thing that has helped was realizing that execute doesn't depend on having the exact same type of weapon equipped in each hand.  I was using a fist weapon and a hammer at one point.  It's opened up so many possibilities for matching up good enchantments.  My execute chance is currently at 44%.  Every execute fills my charge bar by about 1/3.  When my charge bar is full, I do all critical hits for 7 seconds.  Every critical hit heals me for 5% of my health, another of my passives does bonus aoe damage on every crit, and one of my weapons gives +50% crit damage.  It's ridiculous.  I tear through hordes like paper.  It's just those spells that near one-shot me that give me any trouble.

Also... what the hell kind of protagonist sees a helpless victim wrapped up in a web, obviously trying to free themselves, and thinks "Hey let's turn this poor sucker into an explosion of gore and see if they're carrying anything useful.  No one will ever know!!!"
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2012, 06:38:39 am »

I know those casters you're talking about. They're cold spells. A worthwhile investment on hardcore would be the resist potions from the general inventory vendor that gives you +40 elemental armor for a few minutes. This is also highly useful on softcore elite against bosses that oneshot you. Also, supposing your hardcore berserker makes it to act3, invest in stupid amounts of poison armor. It will save your life. ;)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2012, 06:49:34 am »

Yeah, I've been trying to boost my cold resist.  I hadn't noticed those potions.  They should help a lot.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2012, 06:52:29 am »

Poison? Nah fire, the fireballs that leave burning patches in act 3 get seriously, seriously nasty, like 3000+ damage per second nasty.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2012, 07:26:44 am »

ok, my current outlander has 3 parts of the regal set - giving it 20% lifeleech. a 4 socket bow that is 12 levels higher than her and all Sigil passives and a single point in the Chaos burst skill, as well as ranged mastery.
currently level 16 or 17 and at the beginning of act 2. i feel like i should be leveling a bit more, but is there anything that is repeatable, as the areas i visited are rather devoid of life.
Also: the only area that killed me this far was a phase portal that led to 3 tar slimes. It was me against the legion of small dots. The dots won. after reentering a few times i paused the game and changed the keybindings of left shift to force walk instead of standing still and attacking. That worked better.
What resistances should i concentrate on?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2012, 07:40:57 am »

is there anything that is repeatable, as the areas i visited are rather devoid of life.

Not as far as I can tell. The only 'repeatable' area that I ever found was a story dungeon. I entered the first level and cleared it before I received the quest for it. Then I left the dungeon and went to get the quest. The first level of the dungeon that I had previously cleared was full of monsters again and unexplored (i.e. no map of the area).

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2012, 08:00:11 am »

You can repeat whatever you want by creating an internet game and checking the Reroll box.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2012, 08:23:45 am »

Actually, I found you can repeat whatever you want by creating an internet game and NOT checking the reroll box. It does it anyway, it seems.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2012, 08:33:44 am »

Actually, I found you can repeat whatever you want by creating an internet game and NOT checking the reroll box. It does it anyway, it seems.

I've noticed it does this, too, but only sometimes.  I haven't found what triggers it to happen this way yet.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2012, 08:50:20 am »

I'm sure I've repeated some levels when I have quit and logged back into the game. Not sure what triggered it exactly, but since I explore the entire area first I do know the maps can become dark again. This is in singleplayer.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54:55 am »

I've encountered that once or twice, but I didn't lose any levels from it. It just let me rerun and reloot the area again.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21