Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 74255 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2012, 10:31:24 pm »

That's another nice improvement here. I actually need pots on occasion just against swarms of mobs; on-level ordinary mobs can hit for anything from 1/4 to more than 1/2 of your HP on Veteran, at least if you're a squishy glass cannon. I even had a moment where I nearly died because I didn't notice a single vermin-tier mob crawling up behind me while I was nuking, and it took me to a barely-visible sliver in something like 3 seconds of inattention. Oh, and you can combine lower level potions into better ones through a NPC.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »

You could do that in the old one too, I never saw a reason too though.  I never needed them, so why not just sell them?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:38:09 am by V-Norrec »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »

In the first one, I'd always end up combining them into mega-potions and then just heal-tanking a boss by downing a potion and standing still.  Sure, my ranger had all of zero defense, but when you're healing that fast there's a risk of the enemy's plade actually getting stuck as your flesh heals around it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2012, 11:16:20 pm »

I will admit, the blood gem shard I found with +15.2HP/second regen seems a bit overpowered for low-20 levels.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2012, 03:02:22 am »

In case any of you are still trying to get Hamachi to work -- Hamachi doesn't truly create a "LAN", exactly.
It's more based on the tunneled IP concept than the LAN standards. Thus, since Torchlight's LAN play doesn't use the TCP/IP stack, you're out of luck.
I think Tunngle works, and I know Evolve does.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2012, 04:07:05 am »

Don't forget that the game will probably have a decent mod community to further extend its lifespan.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2012, 04:40:02 am »

And when I see my health globe draining rapidly and try to run away, the game interprets my click to mean that I want to attack an enemy or break a barrel that's nowhere near the spot that I clicked. And then I die.

That's actually something I've noticed too, and considering I never ever had that problem in the first TL it may be a bug. Curious.

I played T1 during the week before the release of T2 and it seems to me it was even worse in T1 than it is in T2. But like I said, every single Diablo-clone I've played since D1, including D2 and D3, has this problem.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2012, 07:48:05 am »

Right, I think I'm close to the end of act 2 with my Outlander (on elite, because I'm bravestupid) and I love the game so far, everything is nice and fast-paced, combat feels fantastic, I'm loving the graphics style despite my initial reaction to the opening cinematic being absolute horror, thanks to some unique gear my guy's been looking like a badass western desperado for about 20 levels. I only have one major, major gripe with the game and that is whenever it tries to up the difficulty it seems to do so in the most obnoxious, irritating ways possible.

Stuff like being forced into big fights against lots of hard hitting enemies in small cramped areas gets rather annoying when I'm playing essentially a glass cannon (I'm trying to keep my survivability up but it's not really working that well). I just had one instance where I had to kill a large melee boss (easy) BUT he had ~12 other guys with him, including ranged guys, one with some sort of bone prison-ish spell (that killed me a few times if I'm honest, as suddenly being unable to move with several things that can 2-3 shot me chasing me equals dead) and two other unique mobs including one who ressurects the normal guys, all in an area too small for me to avoid attacks until I was down to the 3 unique guys, that whole encounter was just NOT fun in the slightest, and I was 3 levels above the enemies!

Also the major boss fights tend to have the same pattern: Big guy who hits like a truck and take forever to kill in an area that infinitely spawns additional enemies. Damnit, pick one of the last two, not both, if the boss is gonna take forever to kill at least give me a fight where I can unload at it for more than 1-2 shots at a time without risking being swarmed by stuff.

Lastly, enemies that are only difficult because they take 10+ minutes to kill and seem to rely on me either getting really unlucky at some point, or that I start trying to unload for more than the 1-2 shots I'll normally throw because I'm bored with the fight and simply want it over with.

My apologies for the rant (I've just come out of 2 really irritating encounters in a row) but as I said, I love the game 99% of the time, and utterly despise it the remaining 1%.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2012, 08:35:34 am »

Elite is less of an irritating bitch than diablo3 Inferno, if you want to talk about gimmicks that make the game harder.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2012, 09:55:13 am »

So yeah, I'm well into 3 act now on Veteran.
So I guess I can talk a bit about the game.

It's good.. And on high difficulty, it's also quite hard. It somewhat feels much more like a Diablo 3, than the real Diablo 3 does.
My only real gripe with the game is that I have not found any way to respec my character, which is quite a shame as every class have several play styles.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2012, 10:02:42 am »

I disagree about the diablo 3 part, tbh. It feels much more like a sequel to dungeon seige than to diablo, personally.

(edit for grammar)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:06:08 am by Japa »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:52 am »

There actually is a way to fully respec, although it's a little bit cheaty.
Quote from: Reddit
Exit torchlight 2
On your computer navigate to Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save
Open the folder(s) and edit the settings.txt file. Each folder appears to be for a different character.
Search for CONSOLE :0 and and change the 0 to 1 and save
Launch the game and make a game
open the console with Insert
type resetskills into the console, hit enter, you are done

DISCLAIMER: I haven't used this method, and it is quite likely to flag your character as a cheater in multiplayer, so use at your own risk.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2012, 10:55:25 am »

I disagree about the diablo 3 part, tbh. It feels much more like a sequel to dungeon seige than to diablo, personally.

(edit for grammar)
Yes, I have felt that way too. It feels like a very good cross between Diablo 2, and Dungeon Siege 2. It's a better Dungeon Siege 3 than Dungeon Siege 3 was, in a lot of ways. Not sure on the Diablo 3 comparison, as I have not played it at all. But it really feels like a Dungeon Siege game, despite having almost nothing in common with it mechanics-wise.

Tried to start as an engineer on Normal. After a few hours of utterly annihilating everything without ever using a potion, decided that it might have been a poor choice. Now restarted as an Outlander on Veteran. Enjoying the game very much so far. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2012, 11:11:26 am »

Is there a way to unsommon town portals? they're really annoying when there's one waaay back in the beginning of the act that's cluttering up the list.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 22, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »

I'd honestly say that playing a glass cannon embermage is a lot easier than playing a glass cannon outlander, if only because of the ice-teleport.

In other news I've been messing around with my firewall to see if I can get MP to work in a way that'll let me connect to more than 1/60ish games.  ::)

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21