Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing With Pockets  (Read 1632 times)

thieferybeast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Clothing With Pockets
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:47:36 am »

Hey guys, first post! (Well, in a long time. I had an account here ages ago, but I forgot the name of it, so now I have this one. XD)

Anyway, I'm starting off with a new adventurer, a human outsider, and the lack of pockets to keep stuff in is becoming painful. Since outsiders start out naked, you can only carry two items, which is reasonable... but then you put on the cat leather coat you took off that warrior you just killed, and pick up his pouch of coins, and realize that you can't actually keep the pouch and your dagger and your spear, because the coat has no pockets to put the pouch in. And then you feel pretty silly.

So basically what I'm saying is, some articles of clothing (coats, robes, and pants, probably) should function as containers for small objects.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing With Pockets
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:00:02 am »

Go in a fort, there might be backpacks lying around. Or in a dungeon.

I mean, I don't think that should be a priority, plus pockets are, surprinsingly enough, kind of recent in real-life.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:01:42 am by bitesh »
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

thieferybeast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:01:35 am »

That's a good idea and it's what I'm doing, but I still think the suggestion is worthwhile.

Also I just noticed that NPCs apparently keep their pouches in their socks? That's so weird.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 03:37:10 am »

*googles sock coin purse medieval"

The historic types of money container include the sock, forerunner of the purse, from which the saying "save in a sock" may have developed. In museum collections, we especially find socks made from woven metal threads, often supplemented by metal circles for closure. Some socks are crocheted, embroidered or made entirely from little pearls or glass beads. Ladies' crocheted socks or purses for holding coins were already used in the 17th-19th centuries both in America and Europe.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:47:43 am »

I mean, I don't think that should be a priority, plus pockets are, surprinsingly enough, kind of recent in real-life.
true but that is due to the time need to make a pocket by hand, not lack inventing them.
pouchs are a lot more comen as a way to store items
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:18:04 am »

there's no limit to how much can be held in a dwarf's hand
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:56:16 am »

there's no limit to how much can be held in a dwarf's hand

actually, there's no limit to what you can remove from your backpack. I recently had that experience. If you pick more stuff than you can hadle directly from the ground, the game'll tell you that you don't have enough free hands.

true but that is due to the time need to make a pocket by hand, not lack inventing them.
pouchs are a lot more comen as a way to store items

well, ok, that's a valid point.
but also: ACHTUNG, UNGEBILDET!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:01:06 am by bitesh »
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:40:38 am »

Alternatively, there could be more vanilla crafting reactions, which allow you to tan hides and make backpacks and clothes from them. One, sole, knapping reaction seems a bit..sparse.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.