Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Falconry  (Read 2212 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Falconry
« on: April 28, 2012, 08:53:42 pm »

Some sort of falconry should be implemented in the game, ae. allowing you to catch, tame, and train peregrine falcons for hunting - especially for killing and bringing in ducks, buzzards, and the like.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Falconry
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:13:35 pm »

Can't you already do this?  Peregrine falcons are in the game and can be trained, although because of pathfinding woes in general, they don't fly.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:21:33 am »

Can't you already do this?  Peregrine falcons are in the game and can be trained, although because of pathfinding woes in general, they don't fly.
What the guy is suggesting is making peregrines hunt and kill those damn buzzards and other small birds. Birds of prey don't really kill roaches and thrips all the time.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:40:59 am »

Exactly. Easy to implement (do what they always do, just bring their kills to their trainers), makes sense, and would finally give us a way to get rid of those bloody buzzards.

Edit: They don't fly? ...well I suppose that would need to get fixed first...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:43:57 am by ResMar »

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 08:06:48 am »

This could be implemented for peregrine falcons, eagles, great horned owls, and snowy owls. They all hunt buzzards and the like and small land mammals like hares already, right?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »

It would get better if you bought a couple of giant pergerine falcolns from some elves. Or if you tamed a roc...

I think that this should be something that can be trained on top of a hunting animal as it lready exists. Maybe a "normal" hunting animal only hunts when its master does, but an "upgraded" (for lack of a better word) hunting animal can hunt autonomously.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »

It would get better if you bought a couple of giant pergerine falcolns from some elves. Or if you tamed a roc...

I think that this should be something that can be trained on top of a hunting animal as it lready exists. Maybe a "normal" hunting animal only hunts when its master does, but an "upgraded" (for lack of a better word) hunting animal can hunt autonomously.
Sorta like how the cats hunt vermin, but with larger critters. Based on size of the trained animal, I'd imagine. So A falcon can hunt smaller critters, but a roc could be out hunting horses or something.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 07:45:32 pm »

Horse-hunting rocs? Me gusta :D

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:17:02 pm »

Sorta like how the cats hunt vermin, but with larger critters. Based on size of the trained animal, I'd imagine. So A falcon can hunt smaller critters, but a roc could be out hunting horses or something.
Kinda like that, yeah. Hm, maybe the [VERMIN_HUNTER] behavior could be replaced by something like [HUNTER:X:Y], where X can be TRAINED (requires training, like I described above) or NATURAL (does not require training, like cats, and perhaps done by wild animals) and Y is the number of times bigger the hunter has to be to hunt a given animal (e.g. Y=10 on a Size 500000 creature means that it won't hunt adult dwarves but will hunt kobolds and younger dwarves).

Horse-hunting rocs? Me gusta :D
You're thinking small. If I recall correctly, the original rocs were also called elephant birds. That wasn't their name because they had trunks.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.