Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Won't use barrels  (Read 3680 times)

Dave146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Won't use barrels
« on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:13 pm »

Help!

I'm trying to brew, I've got several empty mahogany barrels that I've produced at a furniture stockpile, but when I tell the little buggers to brew they say

"....cancels Brew Drink: Needs empty food storage item"

Not sure what's wrong, is it a bug? I've successfully produced drink this way hundreds of times before.

Help!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Won't use barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:27:16 pm »

I have no real idea what the problem is, but you should make rock pots at the craftsdwarf's shops. They're just like barrels.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Dave146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:30:09 pm »

Why rock pots?

I'll give it a go and see if it makes any difference, maybe the bug/glitch is just with wooden barrels.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:32:04 pm »

Because you can get stone more easily.

Dave146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:35:16 pm »

Ah OK fair enough. Thanks for the tip.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:00:29 pm »

There's probably some active job associated with them. Like, some hauler from across the map is going to move them, or they're about to be filled with something. Rock pots are still recommended, though, as rock is easily available and able to be produced in massive quantities. They're made in a craftsdwarf workshop as opposed to a mason, though.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 02:33:01 pm »

You can look at them and see if they have a task associated with them. The jobs screen (J) shows tasks, and you can "t" over a workshop to check what's in it.

Rock pots are great for food storage, but you can't do away with barrels entirely. Barrels are lighter (and thus faster to haul to the depot when you sell things stored in them), and several workshops require barrels specifically rather than pots.

KaraMong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:52:09 am »

I tought you couldn't brew drink in rock pots and, in fact, didn't ever worked for me.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 02:09:52 am »

I tought you couldn't brew drink in rock pots and, in fact, didn't ever worked for me.
You thought wrong.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 02:30:42 am »

unless you use some strange mod, you must have done something wrong if it didn't work for you. Note that clay pots don't count, some of those need to be glazed.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

KaraMong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 04:19:02 am »

I made over 10 Rock Pots and they were standing in the stockpile but the Brewer always asked "Needs empty food storage".

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 04:34:27 am »

Help!

I'm trying to brew, I've got several empty mahogany barrels that I've produced at a furniture stockpile, but when I tell the little buggers to brew they say

"....cancels Brew Drink: Needs empty food storage item"

Not sure what's wrong, is it a bug? I've successfully produced drink this way hundreds of times before.

Help!

When this happens to me I check the path to the stockpile to make sure I didn't lock any doors or remove any stairs accidentally.  Because I do that a lot.

Dave146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 06:40:43 am »

Thanks for all the help. I never did find out what the problem was there was no locked doors or forbidden routes in the way. Perhaps they were marked for use by someone else who took a VERY long time to get to them. I'm now almost exclusively using rock pots, my fortress is pitifully small so the delay in moving pots around due to the extra weight is not noticeable.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 06:47:56 am »

several workshops require barrels specifically rather than pots.

Some workshops require barrels in their construction.  The only workshop that requires a barrel for a job is the farmer's workshop, when you are processing plants to barrels -- and that's a bug.

I made over 10 Rock Pots and they were standing in the stockpile but the Brewer always asked "Needs empty food storage".

You've already said you checked for pathing issues.  Burrows issue?  Either that, or you had a massive number of food items that wanted to be stored in containers, or a massive number of food stockpiles, and all 10 pots got earmarked immediately.  Did you see a "TSK" on each one?  Did they get a "(#42)" designation in their names?

In which case, the answer is to make even more.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:49:28 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 06:57:06 am »

you can pretty much never have too many barrels and pots.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2