Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speed up loading?  (Read 1940 times)

Speed up loading?
« on: April 28, 2012, 05:35:53 am »

If it is at all possible, could you cool cats at Bay12 optimize the loading of the game any further? Generating a world, searching for sites, even loading a big/old (or both) world takes quite a bit of time.

Is it simply because of the amount of data it needs to load or is it just kinda dirty right now? I understand the game is still beta (alpha?) so if this is something you intend to do once it's out of this phase, then sweet.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Speed up loading?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 06:20:33 am »

Generating a small world with a short history makes a huge difference for save and load times.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:14:52 am »

I'd prefer a fortress that can run for a longer time/with more units/with more complex paths before becoming bogged down in single-digit FPS ratings. I wouldn't care if generating a world took the whole night, if for example some preparation needed to be done to make pathfinding easier.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:50:41 pm »

ToadyOne optimizes whenever he can, but ultimately it's due to bigger worlds and/or longer worldgens have a lot more data, since it tracks all those people and events. Playing on a small world with only a short worldgen will do wonders for your FPS.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:52:33 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »

There's only one cool cat to do all that stuff, and "make it better/faster" isn't exactly a suggestion.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 12:36:00 pm »

Even with a Small world with Short history, it can take upwards of half an hour to load my game. This is a bit annoying when I just want to play a quick 5 minute Adventurer or something. If I tried making a Huge world with an Epic history, it'd probably take an entire day to load lol.

FPS is never an issue for me. Even with a larger than normal embark site and hundreds of entities running around, the lowest I've seen the FPS counter get is 24.

@Slothen: It's more aptly called a suggestion than anything else; hence why it is here.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »

Even with a Small world with Short history, it can take upwards of half an hour to load my game.

even when I play on my old laptop, it never takes more than 5 minutes tops to load or save, and that's with hundreds of years history on large world.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:39:34 pm »

That's very odd.  My computer doesn't run DF extraordinarily quickly, and loading a 5 year small world generally takes less than 5 seconds.  A 300 year large world usually takes about 2 minutes.

What sort of computer are you using?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 09:26:36 pm »

That's very odd.  My computer doesn't run DF extraordinarily quickly, and loading a 5 year small world generally takes less than 5 seconds.  A 300 year large world usually takes about 2 minutes.

What sort of computer are you using?

I just built this thing last month...

FX-4100 CPU
8GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD4670 (2GB)
2x 500GB SATA hard drives.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 10:12:29 pm »

What is the size of your save folder? 

For that matter, what is the size of your embarks?  (including number of z-levels in the map, if possible)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:46:04 pm »

DF is very CPU-intensive. What's the specs for your CPU?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.