Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finally - no more Mica Thrones encrusted with Diamonds - I hope...  (Read 4425 times)

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"04/27/2012 Toady One Finishing up some random things to make carts worthwhile. You can hook up track stops to levers to disengage them and you can also set the friction amount when you build them. Workshops can be set to give only to selected stockpiles and stockpiles can be set to only accept goods from their links (other piles/workshops/vehicles)."

I hope now Urist McCrafty wont run fifteen levels down, making major not-shortcuts to some worthless stone when he was supposed to use Obsidian for the Floodgate which is lying directly in front of his Workshop... 

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finally - no more Mica Thrones encrusted with Diamonds - I hope...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 04:28:11 am »

.....Title is related to content HOW?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 04:29:31 am »

I think you've got that backwards. Workshops can be set to GIVE only to selected stockpiles, not take from.

I feel your pain.

@Corai: Do you really not get how?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 04:33:28 am »

"Mica thrones encrusted with diamonds"

"No longer going to run all over to get stuff"

No.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:44:02 am »

"Mica Thrones encrusted with Diamonds"

"Being able to select what goes into the stockpile next to the jewelers shop a little more reliably"

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:46:41 am »

I get it now, worthless stone made with valuables.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:52:16 am »

It would be nice it Toady made this possible without colossal fort-wide workarounds.

"No, not the microcline! You are supposed to use the obsidian!"
"Eff you! I craft what I want!"
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:57:45 am »

Stocks screen forbid forbid forbid forbid forbid. Mason Urist makes the first few thrones out of obsidian then learns about the new dining room mining expedition and goes "Hey those microcline 10 levels down aren't forbidden, I'm going to go make some thrones out of it as well!"

Engage facepalm.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 05:02:30 am »

There's also how the dwarf picks materials close to their current location, not close to the workshop.  Whenever I want, say, 5 cinnabar mechanisms, I always order at least 6, because the first one will always be either microcline or mudstone.

As annoying as it is, I've always kinda liked how independent minded dwarves are about their craftwork.  They're artists, and will not hamper their creativity just because of some silly government policy.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 05:07:01 am »

There's also how the dwarf picks materials close to their current location, not close to the workshop.  Whenever I want, say, 5 cinnabar mechanisms, I always order at least 6, because the first one will always be either microcline or mudstone.

As annoying as it is, I've always kinda liked how independent minded dwarves are about their craftwork.  They're artists, and will not hamper their creativity just because of some silly government policy.
Government policies would be a common hinder in the ways of art, since there are things they forbid you to use and depict, like a statue of communism made from body parts.
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 05:08:50 am »

Damn nobles and their oppressive obscenity laws...

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 05:13:46 am »

Damn nobles and their oppressive obscenity laws...
Exactly! DF is the perfect virtual reality simulator. ;D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 06:11:46 am »

I get it now, worthless stone made with valuables.

1. Dwarf has a candy battle axe in front of it, two tiles away. Is told to encrust it with diamonds.
2. There's a mica throne 1 tile away, below it.
3. It chooses to spend a century acquiring the mica throne, to stud it with diamonds.
4. The potential value from the diamonds is almost entirely destroyed.
5. Diamonds are rare. Never seen a single one before.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 08:01:42 am »

Hmpf,

I guess you're right, there still seems to be no way to stop my little artist from crafting with whatever there Urist McSpidey-sense let feel to be the closest item in range even when the way to it is half around the world....

But still at least a lot of pain in pile-management will be reduced by this new feature.

I'll keep hoping that at some point it will be easier to let my lovely axe swinging alcoholics know what material to use in which Workshop.

Although its one of the FUN things in DF managing the chaos, rather than having every work by it self.   

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 01:09:21 pm »

Hello!

Ah, I remember the glorious times when we could at least tell the mason's workshop what general color of stone to use or not to use (it has been a while, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy)... at least the general tone of things was controllable.

Anyhow, with the improved stockpile management/movement, it should be easier to reduce the probability of such incidents. After all, the dwarven behavior is relatively predictable, so having the desired item directly below/above the workshop tile and placing a cut green glass command before the encrust command should in most cases yield the desired result...

Yours,
Deathworks
Pages: [1] 2