Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblins with a human leader. I am so angry!  (Read 3994 times)

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
Goblins with a human leader. I am so angry!
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:29:03 pm »

Brand new fortress, only two years old in terrifying terrain, with 125 years of starting history.  We were assailed by thieves, child snatchers, two goblin ambushes and there is a vampire in our midst.  We're completely underground with plenty of iron and we have a military of three squads of eight hammerdorfs wielding silver, war hammers.   We just haven't had time to forge complete sets of armor.

In the late Autumn of our second year, a vile force of darkness arrives.  We're not worried, as we have five weapon traps with ten iron serrated disks each and our fledgling military.  Besides, the first sieges are like an ambush+.  We tell the civilians to hide in the well stocked, siege shelter.  The entrance still has the original embark pen with the migrants' yak calves as sentries/bait.  We maintain vigilance upon our entrance, awaiting the slaughter that will happen and the copper bins that will be forged from the goblinite... except they never show up.  We check and there are 20 goblin bowmen besieging us, yet they never advance.

I wait longer.  Looking for the tell tale signs:  animals at the entrance fleeing or the advancement of troops.

I think, maybe my keyboard is stuck.  I hit the pause bar a few times and see pause turn off and on as I press it.  Perplexed, I finally check the civilizations and see:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The bastards have a human leader and are using human tactics!  They are just sitting on the outskirts, waiting for an easy target.  It's been two months now, but they haven't sparked up a campfire.  I will take so much delight in dumping their corpses in the refuse heap.  This will make for a long game if the trolls and ogres follow the same tactics.

Edit:  Ok, so I scramble and build a catapult for training, firing into a ditch.  Carve out hallways, pave them, build walls facing the outside and carve fortifications into them.  The next vile force of darkness arrives and behaves like you would normally expect.  I check the goblin civ and the human advisor died.  ARRRRGH!  Four sieges, non stop, with the bastards parked outside and no more human advisor.  The goblins are still exporting terror, so I expect more goblinite in my future.  I enjoy one regular year of elves, humans and dorf traders vending their wares.  I have only seen the dorf ambassador one time, but I now have a baron.  The vampire must have been one of the poor bastards that died during a siege where the goblins rushed my fortress before retreating, because no one has died of sudden blood loss, (pernicious anemia for you Salem's Lot fans) lately.

Then this pops up into my screen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess I have won the game, as if it were possible.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:35:54 pm by McHaggis »
The Hammer Lord bashes The Recruit in the mouth with his *silver warhammer*, educating the target.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins with a human leader. I am so angry!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:43:54 pm »

So, its a true siege then.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:44:31 pm »

Ahem.....

Tralalalala!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »

Indeed!  After I dispatch/wait out this current nuisance, I plan to build a tower and employ siege engines.  This will be !!FUN!!  I'll update tomorrow.
The Hammer Lord bashes The Recruit in the mouth with his *silver warhammer*, educating the target.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:54:59 pm »

Indeed!  After I dispatch/wait out this current nuisance, I plan to build a tower and employ siege engines.  This will be !!FUN!!  I'll update tomorrow.

Siege engines only work on the Z-level there built on, so anything below or above will not be shot at/wont be hurt.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »

Also, if I knew who which dorf is a vampire, I'd make it into a squad and send it out to harass them.

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:01:20 pm »

Siege engines only work on the Z-level there built on, so anything below or above will not be shot at/wont be hurt.

I know. My entrance is down low.  The siege is up high.  So I need a tower to be able to fire upon all above ground levels.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 02:20:07 am »

One word: ballista.

Well, only if you can set one up on the proper z-level, siege weapon projectiles still can't shoot down or up...

Still, if it's possible it would be pretty satisfying to see those jackasses sitting around trying to siege you, then getting turned into hamburger from a giant metal-tipped log launched from half a map away.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 03:01:52 am »

Weren't ballistas horribly ineffective since 0.34?
Ah, found it, bug 818. Ballistas only kill 1 out of 7 unarmored targets.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 03:21:04 am »

catapults are even worse. You'd think a stone hurled with enormous force landing on someone would do some damage besides glancing off the helmet. It's like headbutting giant boulders and not getting hurt.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 06:24:39 am »

catapults are even worse.

They can be stacked. Greatly. Get every single Dwarf in your fortress a catapult, never look back. Flak tower.

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 05:10:40 pm »

Spent the last year in a half under siege.  Building siege engines now.  Vampire is eating well.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 07:33:00 pm »

Spent the last year in a half under siege.  Building siege engines now.  Vampire is eating well.
So baisicaly, you have a bunch of gobbos chilling outside your fort destroying every Adequade weaver (migrants) that comes along? Sounds more like a party then a siege, HEYO. I.... i dont even know....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 10:07:07 pm »

Have you considered sending out some bait to lure them out? If they're a goblin civ (it sounds like they are), then they're probably just waiting for someone to come out and play tag with them. The goblins cheat at tag, BTW--they use weapons.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 11:17:45 pm »

catapults are even worse.

They can be stacked. Greatly. Get every single Dwarf in your fortress a catapult, never look back. Flak tower.

And get legendary siege operators on each one.
I LOST THE GAME
Pages: [1] 2