Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Zone Designation: Swimming Pool  (Read 3427 times)

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Zone Designation: Swimming Pool
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:13:39 pm »

Allow a body of water to be designated a swimming pool. As long as there is a ramp and the level is 6/7 or under, dwarves can change out of their clothes and swim while on break or during free time. Can be used as a type of meeting hall. Will train dwarves in swimming.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: New Zone Designation: Swimming Pool
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:59:41 pm »

yesssssssss
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:31:01 pm »

Excellent idea.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:20:02 pm »

I dunno- I have a hard time imagining dwarves willingly swimming for recreation. They are mountain folk.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 06:17:54 am »

I would agree with the thematic clash, although it would be a good thing to have a designation for deliberately making them swim. Locking them in a room and flooding it seems even less logical than dwarves swimming recreationally (even if it is a more dwarf-y solution). ;)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 11:00:42 am »

How about  traffic designation which allows dwarves with skill in swimming to path through it? That could be interesting...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 12:23:00 pm »

It really doesn't seem like a thing that dwarves would do for pleasure. The classic dwarf archetype is too modest to strip down for swimming. If you adjust the name so that it's bathing area, then it starts to make more sense. You can train swimming in a big enough bathtub.

The biggest problem would be contaminants though. A swimming pool is going to end up being as filthy as any other bathing area, absolutely packed with blood, pus, forgotten beast goo, and probably worse things.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 10:02:02 pm »

It really doesn't seem like a thing that dwarves would do for pleasure. The classic dwarf archetype is too modest to strip down for swimming. If you adjust the name so that it's bathing area, then it starts to make more sense. You can train swimming in a big enough bathtub.

The biggest problem would be contaminants though. A swimming pool is going to end up being as filthy as any other bathing area, absolutely packed with blood, pus, forgotten beast goo, and probably worse things.

Tsk tsk, do you not know about recycling system of Aquifers?

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:47 am »

You have to put magma one Z level under the swimming pool and call it Dwarven Baths much like the Turkish ones.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 06:10:20 am »

That gives us a good reason to build a pool that can be flushed and refilled with a few levers.

As for the stripping down: they still have their beards, don't they?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 07:57:35 am »

You have to put magma one Z level under the swimming pool and call it Dwarven Baths much like the Turkish ones.

That should give an even happier thought:
"Had a nice bath lately"
"Had a nice hot bath lately"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »

"Had a nice bath lately"

"Was boiled alive today"
"Suffered serious injury recently"

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:08:35 pm »

Baths, swimming pools... either name is fine. I suppose you could designate if it is a co-ed or gender specific area like some bath houses are. I don't see it as a thing all dwarves would utilize, but rather ones who specifically have a preference to swim or are friends or relatives with ones who like to swim and they could accompany them.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:30:30 am »

"Had a nice bath lately"

"Was boiled alive today"
"Suffered serious injury recently"

Naah, that was patched sometime. No more boiling gobbos & elves  >:(
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 06:28:04 am »

I like this thought. Also.. underground rivers. Swimming would be a valuable skill for dwarves. Being clean is also valuable to them. Personally, I think the ability to take a bath should be preferred over showering by bucket. The zones should have a setting for whether only a single dwarf can use it at a time, though: you could designate small, one-at-a-time bathtubs for modest dwarves, and gender-specific or co-ed bathing areas for the less modest ones. I think co-ed would only be suitable for the least modest, but would give those few dwarves a happy thought similar to talking to a friend or something if they share such a bath.

To recap:
Zone with "shared pool" set to off - personal bathtubs - gives +2 happy thought to modest/not-social dwarves "Had a nice, relaxed bath lately", +1 to other dwarves "Had a nice bath lately".
Zone with "shared pool" set to men or women - gender-divided bathhouse - gives +2 happy thought to averagely modest/social dwarves (if shared with 1 dwarf or more) or highly-social/not-modest dwarves (if shared with 4 dwarves or more) "Had a good chat and a bath lately", +1 to anyone else "Had a nice bath lately".
Zone with "shared pool" set to all - co-ed bathhouse - same as above if shared with same gender, +2 to not-modest/highly-social dwarves if shared with any of opposite gender as well "Enjoyed a good chat and a bath lately", +1 to anyone else "Had a nice bath lately" but modest or not-social dwarves will refuse to use it if there's anyone of the opposite gender in the bath. If someone of the opposite gender walks in on one of these dwarves, the +1 thought will be prevented and the dwarf will step out. These dwarves will prefer free personal bathtubs though.

May be a bit too open-minded of me, but it seems like a nice thing to have. For dwarves, though, only 10% or so would actually enjoy the co-ed baths. Perhaps parties could also be held in bathhouses for like-minded dorfies.

Just some ideas to play around with.
Pages: [1] 2