Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Sedimentary Layers.  (Read 6269 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Sedimentary Layers.
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:56:47 pm »

I just started using 34.07, but I have a problem. There isnt any iron to be found. I generated multiple worlds, using reveal and prospect on DFHack to check. After about 5 worlds and 3 forts per world, there is no iron to be found. I eventually tried using the desired location feature and searching for Flux stone. There isnt any flux stone on the map either. Anyone else having this problem?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Sedimentary Layers.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:15:22 pm »

Nope.  Something is terribly wrong.

Thoughts:
1) Flux stone often does not correlate to what the embark map says.  There is flux stone on almost every igneous extrusive map, for instance, in the form of metamorphic nearby layers with marble, even though it doesn't say so prior to embark.

2) make sure you type "prospect all" in dfhack, not just "prospect."  Or it won't tell you everything.

3) Using reveal, you should be finding iron.  Are you looking for the right thing?  You should be looking for magnetite, limonite, or hematite, which show up in the default texture pack as dark red pound signs (like the british currency), bright yellow pound signs, or gray tildes.

4) Did you generate a world with a ridiculously high mineral scarcity value?  When you go to generate, it gives you an option to choose a level of mineral scarcity.  Setting this lower will give you more minerals (you can adjust it more finely by changing the value yourself in the world gen file, or using a utility like perfectworld)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:17:40 pm »

I cheked for Hematite, Limonite, and Magnetite on prospect, did nto know about prospect all, but i always prospect before I start a fort, and they always show up. I set the mineral scarcity on one of the worlds to 100, to have the most possible minerals, all others were generated on "everywhere".

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:23:01 pm »

The "prospect" command only shows what you can actually see.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:23:57 pm »

I used reveal. Reading the whole post helps.

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:02:20 pm »

Tried reinstalling the game, redownloaded game, prospect all, reveal then prospect all, but to no avail.

Ananasii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:06:14 pm »

Just making sure that you are aware that you can use "prospect all" when picking an embark location, not just after you have embarked (ie on the map screen) - it may help speed up checking for your ideal location

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 04:06:14 am »

Use Advanced Gen, edit the settings, and set the mineral scarcity to something lower than 2500 - I find around 200 gives me sensible amounts of minerals.

I didn't think anything other than coal was dependent on sedimentary layers in .34?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:11:21 am »

Setting the mineral to 100 still gives me problems when using the finder for flux in df.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 05:28:59 am »

You're looking in the wrong places for iron probably; your best bet is marshes and swamp. Also, do not set your mineral scarcity too low or the sheer amount of metals will override the amount of flux.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

vintermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 05:56:19 am »

You did check that volcanism wasn't maxed out in the world gen settings?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:44:05 am »

You're looking in the wrong places for iron probably; your best bet is marshes and swamp.
Technically, the best place to look for iron is in a sedimentary stone layer; if the game prefers to place them in swamps, then there you go, but I'm not aware of any hard evidence linking biomes to specific types of stone layers.

Also, do not set your mineral scarcity too low or the sheer amount of metals will override the amount of flux.
Complete and total nonsense - all* flux stones are layer stones, and the game chooses the layer stone before picking the mineral inclusions within it...

* technically, calcite is a non-layer flux stone, but it only appears within certain flux layers so it really doesn't count.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43:43 am »

You did check that volcanism wasn't maxed out in the world gen settings?

Hematite still shows up in igneous extrusive.

@OP: are you using a program like perfectworld, or are you just modifying individual values from the vanilla world gen file?  Because if you use something like perfectworld, and you don't know exactly what you are doing, it is very very easy to screw various things up and end up with, for example, no metal of certain kinds anywhere, by accidentally making the whole world igneous intrusive or something.  Vanilla does a better job of making sure you don't screw yourself over as much unless you work at it.

Another good thing to check: At embark, look to see if the game will allow you to embark with iron.  If it does, then that means your parent civilization DOES have iron somewhere, and you just aren't looking in the right place.  If it does not let you embark with iron, then you can be pretty sure there indeed is not any iron anywhere in the world.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »

Also, do not set your mineral scarcity too low or the sheer amount of metals will override the amount of flux.
Complete and total nonsense - all* flux stones are layer stones, and the game chooses the layer stone before picking the mineral inclusions within it...

* technically, calcite is a non-layer flux stone, but it only appears within certain flux layers so it really doesn't count.

Setting mineral scarcity to 100 will allow flux to spawn (obviously) but it will often not appear properly in the site finder.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 03:40:23 am »

I've had plenty of sedimentary layers outside of swamps. Your best bet is to go for the deeper soil layers embarks. Most likely problem is the volcanism and/or erosion settings in world gen
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2