Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can you atom smash huge animals in cages?  (Read 8582 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you atom smash huge animals in cages?
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:41:55 pm »

As it says on the tin.  Do cages make creature weight no longer matter for bridge operation?  I can't think of an easy enough way to test this quickly, since I have no such animals in my saves.  So... forum thread.

Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Can you atom smash huge animals in cages?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:54:33 pm »

Dump the cage, with a dump activity zone under the smasher.

Pull the lever.

I recently eliminated 30 kittens at once this way.

(It felt good too.)

I also have giant lions I can test on if you want.  I think I have a lead cage as well.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:58:55 pm by wierd »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:20:48 pm »

I think its size, not weight that determines if it will work.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:54:21 pm »

Dump the cage, with a dump activity zone under the smasher.

Pull the lever.

I recently eliminated 30 kittens at once this way.

(It felt good too.)

I also have giant lions I can test on if you want.  I think I have a lead cage as well.

No, what I'm saying is, let's assume you have a rutherer, in a cage.  If you let him out of the cage, and then try to atom smash, it will break your bridge.

What I want to know is, if you keep him in the cage, and just smash the whole cage, will it work?  I don't mind losing the cage.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:13:33 pm »

yup

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 05:18:49 pm »

Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 06:04:29 pm »

it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:31:06 pm »

Really? allow me to point you to the thread on dwarven daycare, I'm sure that will give you a warm fuzzy feeling to help cheer you up  ;) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »

No, what I'm saying is, let's assume you have a rutherer, in a cage.  If you let him out of the cage, and then try to atom smash, it will break your bridge.

What I want to know is, if you keep him in the cage, and just smash the whole cage, will it work?  I don't mind losing the cage.

I just verified that creatures too large to be smashed under a bridge CAN be smashed if they are caged, by embarking and testing it (domestic elephants!).

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:13:17 am »

I just verified that creatures too large to be smashed under a bridge CAN be smashed if they are caged, by embarking and testing it (domestic elephants!).
Huh. Well, that's interesting.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 02:42:59 am »

Really? allow me to point you to the thread on dwarven daycare, I'm sure that will give you a warm fuzzy feeling to help cheer you up  ;) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0

I see your Dwarven Day Care, and raise you a Mermaid Farming.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:46:05 am »

So... Putting a huge creature in a cage allows you to crush it?

Urist McEngineer: Sir, we have the Giant Sperm Whale Husk right where we want it! What shall we do?

Urist McOverseer: Release the atom smasher! Full throttle!

Urist McEngineer: But sir, that will shatter the mechanism and splinter the bridge! What else can we do?

Urist McOverseer: Hmm... Aha! Let's put a cage made of the strongest metal we can find around it! Obviously putting it in a cage of solid Adamantine will help kill this already nigh indestructible beast!

Urist McEngineer: Brilliant! I'll send for the smiths to make one right away!

DF logic  :P
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 04:26:54 am »

So... Putting a huge creature in a cage allows you to crush it?

Urist McEngineer: Sir, we have the Giant Sperm Whale Husk right where we want it! What shall we do?

Urist McOverseer: Release the atom smasher! Full throttle!

Urist McEngineer: But sir, that will shatter the mechanism and splinter the bridge! What else can we do?

Urist McOverseer: Hmm... Aha! Let's put a cage made of the strongest metal we can find around it! Obviously putting it in a cage of solid Adamantine will help kill this already nigh indestructible beast!

Urist McEngineer: Brilliant! I'll send for the smiths to make one right away!

DF logic  :P

Any dwarf worth their salt will rip a wooden cage that held a kitten from an elves hand, stuff a sperm whale inside and then atom smash the sperm whale.

Physics, ethics, nature and sanity weep
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 09:34:44 am »

it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums.
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 11:37:45 am »

Original motivation was to come up with an extremely simple way to deal with clowns, btw, for times when I am feeling cheat-y and just want to do some amusing project with them or their home, without much challenge.

1) Big long hall full of stupid numbers of cage traps
2) open the door
3) designate all the cages you don't want to be placed in a stockpile under a smasher
4) smash
5) proceed with amusing projects

Pages: [1] 2