Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort  (Read 40946 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2012, 02:52:05 pm »

What the... before, I saw my pictures in the thread, but now, they only work if I copy the url into the browser. Do you guys see the screenshots, or is this problem common for others?
I could switch to some other image-hosting site.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »

Not just you, They don't show for me either.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2012, 03:35:53 am »

From the Journals of 'Sir', 1st Sandstone, 103
Not much happening right now, really. The search for iron continues - we've found a few small deposits, but still nothing really. Also, the miners are digging out a new hall for a timberyard, and an additional wood stockpile. The carpenters tell me this timberyard is long overdue, and I can definitely agree. With more than a hundred logs (and another fucking wave of migrants, therefore a huge demand for beds), our wood industry definitely needs a boost.
I've also had a nice training session with Hellishslapped. It was really entertaining. I had reach, but she had flexibility.

I was concerned about the woman for a bit, as she showed minor signs of depression, but she seems to have recovered nicely. Sadly, the same can't be said for Tun - she's just running around and babbling these days. Darn shame, she did real good work with that titan. I wish we could do something for her.

From the Journals of 'Sir', 10th Sandstone, 103
A great hero has passed away. The titan-slayer, the one-man legion, Tun Baniklegon has finally died of thirst.

She was laid to rest in a glorious tomb, fit for a warrior of her stature. Furthermore, I've ordered the haulers to use Fancycombines, Mephs' true masterwork. In her short life of nine years (little more than a child, really), Tun Baniklegon has killed 34 of our enemies, and also slayed the fire titan that dared to attack our mighty fortress. This way, maybe we can honor her memory.

From the Journals of 'Sir', 23rd Sandstone, 103
Silus is finally up, and immediately resumed active duty. She's currently training her squad to dodge. She does this by 'lightly tapping' them with her mithril spear. The same spear she routinely guts zombies with. The little maggots are scared shitless. They dodge like crazy indeed.
All the others are still bedridden: Wypie, Hugo, Weiss and Freya.

(Image problem is being looked at. Patience. Another thing: I hope you dont mind the few references I drop here and there. Maybe this one was too obvious, but I just couldn't leave it out.)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2012, 12:43:28 pm »

I hope one day I will prove my worth and have this engraved in the halls of heroes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also tempted to draw up a new avatar for myself.

Also I forgot, how did I get injuried? Gobbos?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

Yes, that goblin ambush REALLY hit us bad. Things are far better now - most of the main fighters are up and ready, the equipment is also getting better. All of your dwarfs are still alive.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2012, 06:41:54 pm »

Dropping a Garrus reference in here is just torture to my soul, since I still have to wait 4 months before I get my hands on that game...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2012, 11:49:17 pm »

That ambush seemed to show up at the wrong time. Oh well, now that the army regulars are getting back on their feet again hopefully the deaths will stop.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2012, 05:22:40 am »

Dropping a Garrus reference in here is just torture to my soul, since I still have to wait 4 months before I get my hands on that game...
When I read that, I imagined your avatar flipping the bird instead of just claws... I suppose boredom at work does wonders for me.

Update later today, of course.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2012, 10:39:13 am »

From the Journals of 'Sir', 27th Sandstone, 103
A couple of centaurs were hanging around the fortress for a while. I didn't give them much thought, and wrote them off as harmless creatures. In my eyes, those silly things fall into the same category as fairies and unicorns. Elf stuff, that's what I mean.
Them, somehow, they just stormed in through the main gate. Two of them were caught in the cages, but two others made in into the fortress. That shit does not fly with me.
To add insult to injury, the fucking beasts took down my newest recruit, a hammerdwarf. That was really un-nice of them. When members of my squad die, that kind of makes me look bad.
Of course, we cleaned up the mess with the rest of the boys, but still, this was a major embarrassment.
Higginbottom should guard the fort fucking better, if he still wants to remain captain of the guard.

17th Timber, 103
-Sir, look what I... found!

-Mmm. Nice steel arrow indeed. Where did you get it? And why is it bloody?
-I was hit with it Sir. Also, I think I need some medical attention. But never mind that, Sir! Just look at this fine bolt! I can keep it, yes?
-Well that's just... what is it now?

A familiar face steps closer.

-Fuck no, it's you again?
-Yes, Mirroredskunks, it would be me. I'm sure you'll love the wares I'm carrying this time.
-I'd LOVE to chat with you, cun... I mean, cunning liaison, but as you can see, we kind of have a little situation here.
-Ah yes, it IS a bit corpsy. More so than usual.
-Nothing serious, just a goblin ambush. We are mopping up, no casualties on our side this time. I'll be back in a bit. Treat yourself to a drink until then, dic... dear friend.

19th Timber, 103
-Why are you covered in blood?
-OK, first off, I'll take all of your wood and steel supply, as well as your booze.
-And how would you convince me to do that, good Sir?
-By giving you ALL of our goblin loot, for starters. I can assure you, it's quite a haul.
-Well, that's... not half bad for a start. All right, agreed. What else?
-Don't toy with me, merchant. I know you brought the turrets.
-That I did. Don't underestimate me, soldier, you can't possibly afford the riches I carry.
-We'll see. OK, two fire- and two bullet turrets for the spears we've crafted for you.
-Now THAT is insulting. All these are silver spears, what am I to do with this garbage?
-Find some humans, and tell them it's good against the undead. That superstitious cowardly lot will believe everything.
-Hm... that may work, but still, not enough. What else can you give me?
-We have a shitload of shell gauntlets and helms. You can bloody well have those.
-What on Earth did you make those for?
-I don't know. We have more than a hundred, mostly bored dwarves here, and a metric fuckton of pond turtles. Seriously, that's our main food source, so we had a huge supply of shells. Some craftdwarf with a shitton of free time must have tinkered with them.
-I'll take those, but dirt cheap. Frankly, you ought to be paying me for ridding you of them. And I still need more for the turrets.
-Fine, you can have our fucking copper weaponry. We're in the process of switching to iron and steel anyway.
-OK, that's doable. I think I'll stick around for a bit.
-And what for?
-Oh, I just happen to have these as well.
-What's that?
-A slademantine short sword, a mithril halberd, a steel battleaxe, a set of slademantine-, slade- and welded mithril gauntlets each, and a single slademantine bar. Oh and another fire turret.
-Bastard. You took all our goods without showing me those?
-It pays to save your trump card for last. You'd better remember that. So as I've said, I'll stick around. Maybe you can forge a couple of more weapons for me in the meantime. Until then, you get to enjoy my company. Free of charge, even.
-Oh joy.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2012, 03:07:26 pm »

Heh, the centaur thing is nothing, I once had all 40 of my millitary dwarves fall asleep with the bridge down.  We died shortly after from dehydration after the necromancer was dealt with...

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »

Now I put the bullet turrets in front of the main entrance (behind frotifications of course), so that kind of thing won't happen again. I know that two turrets probably won't stop a full-scale siege, but they at least keep the (zombie) wildlife away. That's a huge load of micromanagement off my chest.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2012, 05:48:23 pm »

"Sir ?"
"Meph...? What the hell do you want?"
"Shouldnt we build some floodgates in front of the turrets, and hook them up to levers?"
"Floodgates ? What for ? To protect them from the current of blood thats seeping into the fort?"
"No Sir. The turrets can handle wildlife quite easily, but if a master archer comes close, I dont think that the fortifications will protect them. We should be able to block line of sight and keep them alive. Makes no sense to sacrifice good equipment, if I might say so. The bullet turrets wont do much against armored enemies anyway..."

Also, flame turret blueprint:

Code: [Select]
WWWWW <= walls
WTWTW <= wall, turret, wall, turret, wall
FFFFF <= fortifications
XXXXX <= floodgates

Enemies walk here  <= entry

WWWWW <= walls
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:08:56 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2012, 04:15:10 am »

Hm. The problem with floodgates is the fact that they are vulnerable to building destroyers. Maybe if I elevate them, or dig a moat... suggestion considered.
By the way, I don't know much about Masterwork SCIENCE - is it possible to build turrets somehow, or the tech is only available via caravan import? I'm not a fan of landmines (just fancy one-shot traps, really), but turrets add great flavor I think. It'd be nice to have more, and the caravans only bring a few. I suppose dozens of turrets would be overkill though.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2012, 09:51:13 am »

23th Moonstone, 103
-I'll be leaving now. What's your final offer?
-I managed to get these forged, plus you can take whatever drakescale armor we have. We can always make more of that anyway.
-Splendid. That will be enough for the weapons and the slademantine bar.
-What? And what about the gauntlets and the turret?
-Are you kidding me? Those gauntlets easily sell for 5000 a piece.
-That's just simply not true. Tell you what. See all these corpses around here? It'd be a darn shame if one or two dwarves were added to the mix.
-Is that a threat?
-Consider it... an incentive.
-Very well, I'll give you the mithril and slade gauntlets, but no more.
-Pleasure doing business with you. See you next year!
-Wait! What about the trading agreement? Don't you have a list for me?
-Oh, basically the same. Mithril, steel, wood, turrets. Nothing special.
-I'll be off then.
-Fuck you then.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2012, 10:50:40 am »

"Ah, my designs were hasty... I meant to build the fortifications outside, and the floodgates inside of course. And dont hit me Again, Sir"

//offtopic: Since 1.9 you can build stuff yourself, and mines have been buffed considerably (10 times bigger explosion range) You need dead automaton parts for the turrets though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16