Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort  (Read 40940 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2012, 02:11:08 pm »

The thing is, Shadytorments was established in 1.7.2. So no turret industry for me then. No automatons around, so it wouldn't be an option anyway.
Also, can turrets still shoot through fortifications reliably if they are not right next to each other?
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Stoutpants

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    • View Profile
    • Drunk Fortress!
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2012, 06:53:27 pm »

Could I get a dwarfing please. Something that uses a hammer preferably.
Follow my Drunk Fortress here!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2012, 05:26:37 am »

Sounds like we have a new hammerer.

Oops, that's also a woman. Would that be a problem? We don't really have that much men here.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:05:12 pm by Ishar »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2012, 03:55:11 pm »

6th Obsidian, 103
-Sir.
-What is it, Stoutpants?
-Sir, Wypies' rangers are kind of... complaining.
-What the shit? One: they suck goblin balls. The maggots ain't shit in fight, that's been proven a number of times. Two: Why is it that you bring this to me, and not Wypie?
-That last one may have something to do with Wypie being in the hospital.
-The little fuck. Slacking off again? What's it this time, the little baby hurt his fingers during recess?
-Sir, he was caught in a cloud of flames during the fight with the shadow men.
-Bullshit. It was ME who cleaved that shadow man in half, and I'm OK. Fuck, I didn't even have a damn shield with me! How could a ranger be hurt from that?
-Sir, don't forget that you have great armor.
-They do, too! It's not my fault that they are wimps, and can't hold the weight of a proper steel breastplate, and go out in leather and the like. If those guys are such pussies, they'd be better off watering the farms or something. Also, I'm told that this drakescale stuff is as good as bronze. While that's certainly not proper armor material, that should count for something.
-It seems like it does not.
-Yes. still, that's half the problem. Why in Armoks' name are these guys within explosion distance anyway?
-They seem to rush into every battle with their crossbows as melee weapons, Sir.
-That's their problem. We have hundreds of bolts stockpiled, that shouldn't be a fucking issue.
-Somehow they don't seem to use them.
-That's not good. While I don't give two shits about the rangers, some of those guys have wives, sons and the like. If they are massacred, that could have some serious consequences.
-So, what are your orders?
-Dunno. Hold them back for now. If someone doesn't like it, give them a good hammering. That's your job anyway.
-Yes, Sir.

From the Journals of 'Sir' 16th Obsidian, 103

A drow caravan came to us today. Which is weird, because the human said they had retreated beyond the ocean. They are still quite far away, I only saw them from atop the battlements, but I'm quite interested about their conflict with the forst giants. Especially since the human said their supposed retreat. That's obviously not the case, and if they actually beat the giants, that would be some story.

(Tomorrow: Actual things actually happening.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:58:35 pm by Ishar »

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2012, 06:03:40 pm »

Weiss's Journal:

Right, it appears according to Sir a Drow Caravan is coming, I wonder if I can convince him to pick up a grimoire if they have one, I dabble a bit in magic, but he may not like the idea of a ranged user after Wypie's archers killing themselves...I'll give it a shot anyways.  We got plenty of corpses and blood around, might as well make a use for it...

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2012, 04:20:59 am »

Let's just say that the drow thing didn't go exactly as smooth as I thought. Oh and Weiss is still in intensive care, with various broken bones. I think those were from the first (unfortunate) goblin ambush, but I don't exactly remember.

Also, does any of you know why is it that rangers refuse to use ammo? They don't have any problem shooting down prey while hunting, so it's not forbidden or anything. It's a shame, some of them are actually good shooters, and they just charge in to be slaughtered. In the uniform page, they have leather armor, indiv. choice ranged, and every type of ammo is allowed. Still no shooting. Why?

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2012, 10:12:00 am »

Let's just say that the drow thing didn't go exactly as smooth as I thought. Oh and Weiss is still in intensive care, with various broken bones. I think those were from the first (unfortunate) goblin ambush, but I don't exactly remember.

Also, does any of you know why is it that rangers refuse to use ammo? They don't have any problem shooting down prey while hunting, so it's not forbidden or anything. It's a shame, some of them are actually good shooters, and they just charge in to be slaughtered. In the uniform page, they have leather armor, indiv. choice ranged, and every type of ammo is allowed. Still no shooting. Why?

You remember to set the amount of ammo they use?  It doesn't do it automatically, and that's generally how most of my forts fall...to idiots who don't know to pick up at least one stack

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:37 am »

If did you assign ammo to their sqauds? 'm'iltary 'f' ammonition. And if you have aready it could be you have:
Not enough quivers
wrong ammo assigned
hunters have stolen all the ammo (aka placed a claim on it)
ammo is not in an ammunition stockpile (only stockpiled ammo can be used)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2012, 10:44:27 am »

From the Journals of 'Sir' 17th Obsidian, 103
Fuck. A white tigermen force just came to tear us apart. They came from the southwest, the drow are to the north... the problem is, the tigermen will be here long before the caravan, and the turret defense system is still not up (remember to sentence a few masons to be hammered later).
I hate to do this, but there simply isn't enough of us to meet the tigermen in the field. We have to hold off until they turn their attention to the caravan, and hit them from behind, trapping the beasts between us and the drow. A sound strategy, but it puts the caravan in great risk.

From the Journals of 'Sir' 20th Obsidian, 103
HUGE military success. We captured a few of the tigermen in cages (the arena supply is getting really nice and diverse now), and absolutely decimated the rest. Since we have quite a few mithril weapons, and some - although not much - steel armor, it was more of a slaughter than a battle, really. Anyone equipped with a mithril zweihander ripped through the tigermen with ease. Blunt weapons didn't serve us quite that well, so it wasn't really Stoutpants' time to shine. She still broke some bones and things like that, but no kills for her this time.
The drow lost a caravan guard, and another is seriously injured, but all we have is an axedwarf with a broken foot. She seems to be in pain, but it's really nothing serious. Also, there seems to be a guy with us who wields a zweihander with one hand, and has a shield in the other. That's... that's really something. To tell you the truth, I didn't even think that was possible for a dwarf before. The rest are becoming brutally effective as well. The constant fighting against inconsequential foes like shadow men and various zombies turned out to be really good for training the troops.
Note to self: stage more arena fights. The cages are starting to fill up.

From the Journals of 'Sir' 1st Granite, 104
The drow merchant left today, without any trading. He said this battle cost him too much, and has to go back home immediately. Darn. The diplomat remained however, so I still hope I'll get some answers. The trader only hinted that their return is a sign of great things to come. We'll see.

(We've entered the Golden Age. And yes, ammo is set, we have 15 quivers for 8 archers, the archers ARE the hunters as well, and ammo is stockpiled. That amount setting thing is suspicious though. Where's that?)

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2012, 04:23:47 pm »

could the guard be used as arena fighters as they don't really seem to be getting used in the sieges.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2012, 04:40:10 pm »

Well when there is a serious combat situation, I tend to send in all three of the melee squads. The fortress guard just routinely get their asses kicked, that's all. I'll try to give them better equipment. If there's a migrant wave (doubtful), we may get some new soldiers. Those would go to reinforce the fort guard... I don't really have any other idea how to buff them up.
Arena fighting will commence shortly, I just needed to get my shit together after that little incident with the tigermen.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2012, 09:42:09 pm »

Why am I always getting injured? WHY!!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2012, 09:49:17 pm »

*Pictures wypie on knees, arms out shouting at the sky "WHY!!!!"*

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2012, 01:48:25 am »

You are trying to beat hidious monsters with an unloaded crossbow. That may have something to do with it.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2012, 09:42:39 am »

From the Journals of 'Sir' 19th Felsite, 104
Another group of goblins managed to sneak near the main entrance. Besides the fact that this is an outrage, nothing much happened. Silus and Higginbottom led their respective squads to deal with them, and the creatures were quickly scattered into the wind. The guys barely left anything for me. It wasn't until the dust settled that we noticed something off. Wypie was... missing.
It turned out he spotted the goblins first (or rather, the goblins spotted him), and that went exactly like it was to be expected. At least he went down swinging, not that it did much good. Crossbows are STILL shit when it comes to melee combat. He was given an honorable burial either way.
Also, Hugo had some trouble, broken thigh or something. That's really unprofessional of him: steel armor and all. A proper soldier shouldn't let goblins do that to him, that shit makes us look bad.

From the Journals of 'Sir' 28th Felsite, 104
To fend off boredom, we staged an arena fight: the captured centaurs against the fortress guard! It sounded good in theory, but unfortunately it quickly turned into disaster.
For one, somehow Meph was in the arena when the cages opened. I don't know what the fuck he was thinking (he said he had some cleaning to do), but somehow, he managed to avoid direct injury, so this was more of an annoyance than a real problem.
The main issue here seems to be that Higginbottom has the weakest melee squad I've seen. By far. And I've seen plenty. Basically, Hugo is his only capable soldier, and since that guy's out of commision for a considerable amount of time, this didn't go well.
It started nicely enough: Higginbottom decapitated one of the three centaurs with one swing, job well done. Then, the whole fight turned into a mess: one of the surviving beasts grabbed a baby (as it is something of a custom here to bring infants into battle), and started chasing Meph around, while still dragging that baby. One of the swordsdwarfs stood up to stop the madness, but the centaur just plain turned around, and broke his arm with its first kick. Then, it proceeded to systemathically kick him to death, since everyone else was busy fighting the other centaur. By the time they were finished, it was too late: both the baby and the poor recruit was dead. Sure, they finished off the centaur (I would have killed them myself if they had done anything less), but that did little for the casualties.

So, the fortress guard is down to four soldiers, one of them hospitalized. I'm thinking of giving them fresh recruits, but training those is a bitch. And we are totally out of capable draft material, so for the moment, the fortress guard is off duty - they simply can't handle anything with these numbers.
Note to self: DO NOT stage more arena fights.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16