Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort  (Read 40932 times)

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 05:39:45 pm »

oh hell, send me at em, I can take a seige. it worked for my fort, why can't it work here?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 09:19:07 pm »

Posting to say that I will follow this, for testing purposes and a nice read. :) I would also like to be dwarved, "Meph" and be a anti-social dude that does not fight, but likes eloberate trap settings. And burial holes with hatches on them to throw the reanimating corpses...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 03:35:52 am »

Glad to see that people are interested in this. About the dwarfings:

Silus is a damn beast, and I don't have a clue why. She's only a skilled speardwarf and competent fighter, any other fight-related skills are novice. She only has a copper spear (despite the fact that I assigned her an iron one), a wooden shield, and refuses to wear armor for some reason. Still, she one-shots everything she encounters, and nothing has touched her so far.

Empfan is recovering nicely. We don't have any animals to train yet, and the elves didn't show up somehow, so I don't know about this.

Wypie, I have a squad of seven marksdwarves, but they are permanently off-duty, since we only have one quiver at this point. When I get around to correct that, you'll get your dwarf.

Meph, I'll see what I can do when I get home, and find you an architect/mason/mechanic.

And by the way, there's a TON of available military dwarfs. I've currently drafted roughly 25, but most of the migrants come with some fighting skills, so I could potentially double that, if need be. I don't have that many weapons though. Progress has been slow on that. When I get my shit together on the food department, I'm gonna dig for some real metal - and flux.
Oh and about that, I don't understand the food problem: harder farming is off, and I have a big underground farm (muck roots, plump helmets and sweet pods, with a little cave wheat), brewing is going on two stills, barrels are not a problem, and the fort is still constantly low on alcohol. We have a shitload of pond turtles though, so food is not an issue since the fishing industry skyrocketed. Meph, you may want to look into that - three fisherdwarves keep a population of 72 fed, using only murky pools.

Update coming in a few hours.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:44:01 am by Ishar »
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 04:41:43 am »

Wow, I'd forgotten about this one. I'll have to keep checking this thread as it has been an entertaining read.

According to the internet I've always wanted to be the little girl, so that is fullfilled in a way. At least Silus seems to embody everything I expected anyway.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:26 am »

11th Limestone, 102
'Holy shit, Silus, I owe you a big fuckin apology, soldier! Here I was, thinking that bringing babies to battle is a crappy decision on your part. Why didn't you tell me that this was live combat training?

Look at this shit, man: a fuckin infant, punching a fuckin harpy to death. What? This is not your kid? Bollocks. Still, this little fella has a shining military career to look forward to. That's some serious shit from a toddler.'

From the Journals of 'Sir', 14th Limestone, 102
A group of shadow men attacked us today. It was weird as fuck.

Judging from that fight, I can conclude three things:
1 - Silus is getting pretty fuckin good with the spear, cutting a shadow man in half with one strike.
2 - Shadow men are creepy sons of bitches, they kind of explode when they die. Nobody got really hurt, but that's something I think we should remember.
3 - That ignorant piece of shit Silus still uses that crappy copper spear, refusing to switch to a proper iron one. Even though I've explicitly ordered her to do so.
Come to think of it, I still haven't appointed a hammerer yet.

From the Journals of 'Sir', 3rd Sandstone, 102
I've given command of the fort guard to Tormentingscalded. He has a solid record: a confirmed kill in defense of Shadytorments, father of four, and can handle a battleaxe almost well. He was given adequate quarters, with all due furnishings, office and dining room, as befits the captain of the guard.
I'm expecting the autumn traders any day now. It worries me greatly that no other caravan passed through here. I don't particularly miss the bloody elves, and I've always found drows kind of unsettling (especially since their blood still pours on us constantly), but it would be nice to see some humans for a change. And preferably not in zombie form this time.
Also, a mason crafted a native silver throne today, and since then, he thinks he's people. Bah! Still remains a good-for-nothing maggot, as far as I'm concerned. I've got to admit though, the throne looks nice, fit for nobility. I'm going to keep it safe, and give to someone worthy someday. It's easily worth 30000 urists.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 09:10:25 am »

11th Limestone, 102
'Holy shit, Silus, I owe you a big fuckin apology, soldier! Here I was, thinking that bringing babies to battle is a crappy decision on your part. Why didn't you tell me that this was live combat training?
Look at this shit, man: a fuckin infant, punching a fuckin harpy to death. What? This is not your kid? Bollocks. Still, this little fella has a shining military career to look forward to. That's some serious shit from a toddler.'
o.O

Mother of God.
This is one to look out for. I think the only thing that would make this kid more hardcore is if in a few years he has a fell mood, kills his father, and uses his spine to make a bone spear. I am now proud and terrified of my little dorf's baby & family by extension.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 12:27:57 pm »

What the fuck. Somehow I totally lost yesterdays progress, my save file reverted to the early autumn of 102. Tomorrows' update may be delayed. I'm working on it.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 02:25:13 pm »

Ramblings of boredom by Empfan while recovering:

You know, I though I would HATE being in the millitary, but its pretty damn awsome.  I'm fine without a weapon, going to need some better armour though...When the hell are these bones going to heal anyways?....need some golems too, wonder when the drows're gunna come...hmmm...wouldn't mind trying a hand at golemancy...probably would impress sir to boot if I don't kill anyone in the process too.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 02:53:54 pm »

So... that shadow man thing, with the badass baby and all that. Because I've lost some progress, that technically never happened.

Fun fact & cliffhanger: all claimed dwarves besides Meph (and this is an exception only because his dwarf is not in the military) are hospitalized. Nothing serious, no siege or anything, this just happens to be the case. Next update tomorrow.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 09:55:47 am »

24th Sandstone, 102
'So, lads! I'm glad to report that, thanks to the hard work of the brewers, the booze crisis is finally sol... what the flying fuck? You've got to be kidding me! Who are these shitheads? How many of you are there? FOURTEEN? Fourteen MORE fucking good-for-nothing civilian shitheads to feed? Get the fuck out of my sight, pricks!
So yeah, about the booze. We are pretty much still screwed. No pun intended.'

14th Timber, 102
-Sir, the two you requested are here, sir!
-Thank you lad. Bring in the dickhead mason first.
-Right away, Sir!

-And who would you be, maggot?
-Meph Rulerfortified, my lord.
-*cough* I'm your commander, and you will call me Sir! Understood?
-Yes, Sir!
-That's more like it. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but this report here says that you replaced a lever. Not just any lever, but the one belonging to the secondary bridge, which is mainly our first line of defense. And you did it without consulting any authorities, most of all, me.
-...Yes.
-What?! You confess? How dare you do a thing like that!
-Sir, if I may. That lever was poorly designed in the first place. Let me draw that for you. You see, if the main bridge is rectracted, the enemy flocks into this narrow corridor here, and stops, if the secondary bridge is also retracted. If we are lucky, our cage traps get some of them.
-That's correct. And when the military is assembled in the outer courtyard, somebody pulls the lever, and we face them at that chokepoint, easily holding off superior numbers. Theoretically, a few (let's say, three) hundred well-trained dwarves could hold off thousands of goblins. Silus' idea, if I remember correctly.
-I don't doubt that, Sir. But if you look closely, you'll see the problem: the lever is exactly next to said chokepoint. If a civilian pulls that lever, the aforementioned thousands of goblins descend upon the poor guy. That's why I moved the lever to the inner courtyard, Where it's safe.

-Hm. That's... that's actually not a bad idea. Hmpf... smartass, huh?
-Sir?
-I admit, maggot, this is not half bad thinking. But you still disrespected the chain of command, so some punishment is in order.
-Sir, have I... been called here for hammering?
-No, no, no. We don't even have a hammerer (though I keep reminding myself that we really SHOULD have one), so that's out of the question. No prison to lock you up either, but I think I have just the thing for you. From now on, we put that smartass brain of yours to good use. You are going to document everything from food production to metal industry, until someone more capable shows up. You are to be our bookkeeper.
-But I'm an architect and mechanic, and quite good at that... there's no need... surely there's another way...
-Don't worry, if you have any ideas, you can still come to me. But as a bookkeeper, you won't be out of sight, so there won't be any more surprises like this.
-Th-thank you Sir!
-That'll be all. And don't let this happen again. Hellishslapped, send the other shithead in!

-Sir, Wypie reporting for duty, Sir!
-At ease, soldier. If I remember correctly, you are the captain of the Magics of Paper, is that right?
-Sir, yes, Sir!
-Splendid. Now then, you are the perfect person to explain this thing to me. How is it that all of you are assigned to hunting duty, and you haven't brought in anything in months? Come to think of it, the only wild animals we eat are those that are considered dangherous, and put down by the melee squads. Furthermore, your men are not even training! What do you have to say for yourself, you sorry excuse for a captain?
-Sir, it's... equipment related.
-How so?
-Basically, we don't have any quivers. Every hunter goes out with a single bolt loaded into his crossbow. If the first shot isn't an instant kill (and it's not, because we don't have equipment to train), every one of us has go all the way back to the fort for ammunition. We're trying our best, but it's just not possible, Sir.
-Hm. This is serious. I have a few rolls of cloth, but we need that for the hospital. We butchered a donkey a while back, but a piece of shit leatherworker made some trousers out of it, although nobody asked him to do it. We don't have anything to hunt, and I won't butcher or only pair of breeding horses.
-Sir?
-Fuck it, I don't know. I'll let you know when I figure something out. Dismissed.

(Next up: Surprise!)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 01:08:13 pm »

If you need another shi- I mean, dwarf, dorf me up! Name him Dohon, give him a weapon and point him at the enemy! May my death be glorious! ... Wait ...
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 02:41:58 pm »

I would give you our main powerhouse, an axedwarf. It frustrates me that she is still unclaimed. And there's the problem. On one hand, the dwarf is female. On the other, she has 20+ kills after less than two years. I also have a legion dwarf who is getting good with a greatsword, but that's also a female.
Is that okay, or should I look for another? There's plenty.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:52:00 pm by Ishar »

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 03:08:05 pm »

Journal of Wypie page 1: "sir" called me to his office today and I explained to him we have no quivers but he said we don't have the material to make them oh well.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 03:43:50 am »

I would give you our main powerhouse, an axedwarf. It frustrates me that she is still unclaimed. And there's the problem. On one hand, the dwarf is female. On the other, she has 20+ kills after less than two years. I also have a legion dwarf who is getting good with a greatsword, but that's also a female.
Is that okay, or should I look for another? There's plenty.

I wouldn't mind the female axedwarf. Would you mind calling her Freya then?
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 06:29:21 am »

From the Journals of 'Sir', 19th Timber, 102
Finally! A trade caravan came in. We gave them plenty of surplus weapons and a shitload of pond turtles for seeds, a nice supply of leather and cloth, an insultingly huge amount of wood (they sold that dirt cheap), another anvil, plump helmets and muck roots, booze (finally!), and a nice welded mithril bar - that was expensive, but I'm sure it will come in handy. I've declined the offer of blood cheese, although it looked appetizing.
We have to restock on weapons a bit, but it was still a pretty freaking good deal.

From the Journals of 'Sir', 27th Timber, 102

How the hell did this happen? A kobold thief jumped out of nowhere, and Silus went ahead to stop it. Then the thing just plain fucking broke her arm. What the shit? The gal - literally - eats yetis for breakfast, now a kobold of all things gets her? She's in the hospital, and we all wish for her full recovery. Still, Silus is one of our best soldiers. The fort is considerably weaker without her. I seriously hope nothing comes at us while she's down.

From the Journals of 'Sir', 8th Moonstone, 102
Meph just gave me the monthly report. Finally, I see some numbers I actually like.

Fuck you, starvation. Also, it's no wonder things are a bit bumpy. We have a metric fuckton of children. Even more than I thought.

From the Journals of 'Sir', 14th Moonstone, 102

That's what I like to see.

21st Moonstone, 102

-Holy shit!
-Sir, reporting for duty, Sir!
-Empfan, what the fucking fuck? You are up?
-Yes, Sir. I've been working for a few days actually. By the way, Silus is back to active duty as well.
-What the... Why didn't you report to me immediately?
-Well, you DID put out the order for a fishery to be be constructed, so I did that first.
-A fishery of all things? Why the hell?
-well, Sir, fish are technically animals, and as you know...
-I know, fuck it, I know. Animal trainer. Well it's really due time to get some real animal training started. I'll have the miners dig out you place, you'll get a kennel or something. We don't have any war animals really, so you'll be training pond turtles for a while. Anything else?
-Sir, I've been bedridden for a long time, and I have an idea. If I could only consult with Meph about this... given the resources, it would be marvelous.
-What's this about?
-Well, it goes like this...

(OOC: There you have it. Empfan left the hospital after one a half years of intense nothing. Basically, he was given water and food, and little else. Even though we have cloth, splints and the like, the doctors decided that it was nothing serious, gave a shrug, and basically said "Eh, I'm sure he'll be fine." )
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:47:03 am by Ishar »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16