Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort  (Read 40937 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2012, 03:52:49 am »

I don't really have modding experience, so that's a no. There's quite a selection of unclaimed dwarves, from master smiths to architects and expert fighters. Of course there are still survivors from the ranger squad, but those don't really have a high survival rate here.
Or I could just say fuck this shit, and give you one of the infants. They are constantly popping up, I think we have 10-20 per year - and we lose them qutie frequently in battle, in fact, but nobody seems to mind much.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2012, 04:17:55 am »

Babies, the real shields of Shadytorments.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2012, 06:28:11 am »

Come to think of it, most of the military still has copper shields. Maybe babies are harder to pierce through?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2012, 02:17:01 pm »

From the Journals of 'Sir' 25th Galena, 104
Fan-fucking-tastic. The liaison finally left the fortress, only to run into a honey badgerman ambush. Not that I'll miss the fellow, he was always a smartass prick, but now, I have my doubts about the turret order I gave him... since the letter is rotting in the mud, the order may have some difficulty to reach the capital. Also, the badgermen prevented any outside operations.
Since we didn't nearly have enough time to tend to the defenses after the siege, there was fuck else to do but charge the bastards head on. Didn't save the liaison of course, but the battle gave Freya a chance to show the newcomers how it's done. She still insists on using her old copper battleaxe, but you'd barely notice: she's hacking away limbs like it was the finest adamantine. Her reckless charged resulted in quite a few flying body parts, but she was a bit too aggressive.
Charged right into the thick of the bastards, alone, hacking and slashing as she went ahead. At first, it seemed to turn out fine, but the fight slowly took its toll. When we reached her, she was lying on the ground, unconscious, literally at the top of a hill of corpses. The few honey badgermen that were left after the furious onslaught tried to pry open her armor, and take revenge. Stoutpants and Higginbottom took care of them without much effort.
Of course we've lost a ranger or two, but frankly, I've already given up on them. Completely unreliable. Hellishslapped lost a tooth in the aftermath, I'm grieving more for that.
Freya is basically unharmed. The fight took its toll, but she collapsed from exhaustion, not battle wounds.

From the Journals of 'Sir' 21st Limestone, 104
We've taken down the fortifications from the fire turret corridor, and replaced them with a moat. I sincerely hope that this way, the turrets will fucking work next time. Meanwhile, the boys are doing a little housecleaning: a few of the slain badgermen came back to life. That would have been disastrous a few years back, but now, the military can handle that, no contest. The creatures were more challenging when they were alive - wielding steel battleaxes and all that. I'm not saying it's not annoying, it just isn't frightening anymore.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2012, 03:20:53 pm »

well, can dwarves like guns?
because if so, i want one of those, a peasant, who makes the guns.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2012, 03:54:11 pm »

Dwarves cant like items, only creatures/materials/plants.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2012, 08:40:51 am »

Then why does some of my dwarves like "Battle Axes" or "Shoes"?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2012, 10:53:54 am »

9th Sandstone, 104
-Damn it Freya, what the fuck was that?
-Chill, Sir.
-what? That was just a damn yeti. In the early days, we literally ate those for breakfast. And that was barehanded-early.
-So?
-So now you have full steel gear, finally accepted to use that damn mithril battleaxe, and now this nothing of a yeti smacks you around like a first-day recruit. What the fuck, soldier?
-Nah. It was nothing.
-How is me pulling your ass out of a losing fight nothing?
-It wasn't a losing fight at all, Sir. As you can see, I'm not even injured. It was just a game, giving my opponent the sporting chance it deserved.
-Damn, girl, you are getting overconfident! This shit was careless, you are a loose cannon! Get your act together!
-Whatever.
-Don't 'whatever' me, maggot, I'm still your commanding officer! You are going to work on your disciple, or I won't care how good your service record is, you will not endanger my squad like that any more! I'll have you kicked out of the military, and you'll be hauling corpses for the rest of your miserable life, is that clear?
-Yeah-yeah... Sir.
-For starters, you are hauling in the remains of that yeti to the food storage yourself.
-*Sigh* Yes, Sir!

12th Sandstone, 104
-Sir.
-Yes, Stoutpants, what is it?
-I oversaw the masons working on Mephs' new baron quarters.
-Yes, yes. Magnificent work of dwarven stonework, ain't it?
-Indeed. So magnificent, in fact, that it gave me an idea.
-What kind of an idea?
-Sir, as you know, I am the hammerer of this fort.
-Aaand?
-And as hammerer, I am considered nobility.
-Oh Armok, I see where this is going.
-And as such, I feel I'm entitled to a clear glass window in my office, to better observe the traffic.
-You do realize we don't even have sand, let alone glass.
-I do. Still, I am confident in your abilities, Sir. You've always granted sensible requests, and I'm sure mine is quite reasonable.
-You do, huh.
-Yes, I do.
-Well I don't. Now get the fuck out of my office!
-Sir?
-You may be hammerer Stoutpants, but I am still your commander, and what's even more important, I can kick your ass so bad, you'll never even think about glass again. I'd have you hammered if you weren't the only hammerer yourself. Dis-the-fuck-missed.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2012, 11:56:35 am »

@hugo: Seems you are right. I was thinking of things with possible pref-strings.

And I am designing the Barons quarters, nice. Any levers and hatches in the room, with something underneath it ?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:35 am »

16th Timber, 104
-Greetings, fellow citizen!
-Whoa. Who are you, and how did you find us?
-Why, I am Atir Shashlogem, outpost liaison from the mountainhomes, at your service. And who do I have the pleasure to meet?
-Just... just call me Sir, and that's that. You haven't answered my other question.
-Oh, that's quite simple actually. We are just following due procedure: I'm certain you are aware of the traditional caravan rounds in every autumn. Well, since our previous liaison seems to have disappeared, I took over his responsibilies as an envoy, and took of with this fine caravan here.
-That's just peachy. First the smartass, and now they send me this fancy city lad.
-Pardon me, good Sir?
-Nevermind. Also, don't bother looking for your missing pal, he became badgerman-food. We saw them ambushing the guy, but couldn't reach him soon enough to save him.
-That's really unfortunate. How tragic. I did not know the diplomat personally, but I'm told he was an outstanding citizen.
-I think he was kind of a dickhead, actually, but enough about him. What do you have here?
-As you can see, we only jhave the finest wares the mountainhomes can offer.
-Fine. I'll take the bullet turrets first, then the wood supply, and of course... HOLY SHIT GOBLIN AMBUSH!

From the Journals of 'Sir' 21st Limestone, 104
Well, at least the fire turret system worked, at least to a degree. The goblins and their mounts were in for quite a surprise when they entered the tunnel (of death).

The goblins themselves had bows with them, so I found it better to seal off the fire turrets instead - they were expensive after all. Unfortunately, the goblin ambush soon turned out to be quite more than a simple skirmish. Two more groups of the little bastards showed up, and although we killed the first few that got through, we just had to raise the bridges. Frankly, I don't know what's coming. The merchants safely made it in, we only lost one battle-baby*, but the goblins are here now with such an overwhelming force that I would not call this an ambush. This is a full-scale siege situation now. I count fifty of the shitheads at least - that's double the numbers we have, even counting the caravan guards.

Sure, Freya, Silus, Higginbottom, me and a few others are damn good, but not THIS good. We can't win this with a frontal assault.

*Is there a possibility to forge armor for the little guys? Some of them are quite badass for pint-sized toddlers. Hugo just plain told me to fuck off, when I asked him. That may be a no.

(OOC: There's more of the fuckers on the hill. Seriously, I just have to wait until they leave, WAAY to much to handle.)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2012, 04:16:43 pm »

25th Timber, 104
-You mentioned our wood supply.
-That I did. How many have you got?
-Two.
-Two wagons or what?
-Two logs.
-Are you shitting me?
-Why would I lie to you, good Sir? We haven't received any requests from your fort, so we had no reason to bring more.
-Fuck it. Then at least give me your turrets, we have a shitload of silver maces in exchange, as requested.
-Splenid. Although for this caravan to function, I'll need you to throw in a mithril battleaxe as well.
-No fucking way. How about some gold crafts instead.
-I can give you three bullet-, and one fire turret for that.
-Fine, how about another batch of gold crafts for that acid turret?
-How about you add that battleaxe into the deal after all?
-How about fuck you. Chrome crafts, and nothing else.
-Fine, that'll do nicely. Anything else?
-Now that you mention it...

From the Journals of 'Sir' 25th Timber, 104
Buried the new liaison next to the old one. I don't know what he was thinking, after he broke that armorsmiths' arm in his berserk rampage. Maybe that I'll let that slide, or wouldn't notice it due to all the blood already here?
I suppose we need to solve the goblin situation sooner or later, or all of the traders are going to go insane. I understand they hate to stay locked up like this, but if I let them out, the goblins butcher them. And soon after that, us as well. That's something I'd rather avoid.
If all else fails, we can still handle the caravan guards better than all the goblins outside. A grim thing to consider, but it's a possibility.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2012, 05:38:45 pm »

Quickly build a second wall, and release the guards. Two problems solved, the guards and traders wont go crazy, and the goblins take some losses. Without any damage to your forces

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »

I take it I'm still in bed with broken bones while the docs just walk around and do jack.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2012, 02:43:46 am »

Meph: I still hope the goblins leave before all the crazy sets in. The caravan goods are sweet and all, but I'd really like a trade order this year.

Empfan: Well, yes. But your dwarf is healing nicely!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2012, 07:49:06 am »

30th Timber, 104
-Sir, you wished to see me?
-Yes, Hugo, come in. I have a task for you.
-Ready and able, Sir. Say the name, and he's dead.
-Nothing like that, at least not for now. You are promoted to squad captain, effective immediately.
-Sir... thank you Sir, I won't dissappoint you!
-Don't be so sure. Your squadmates are Muthkat, Eshtan, Rith, Sizir, Cilob and Kubuk.
-Excuse me Sir, but those names don't ring a bell. At all.
-That's not surprising. A buther, a jeweler, a carpenter and three peasants. Also, no equipment yet.
-Sir?
-You are to train another squad, straight up from raw recruits. You are constantly on training, and relieved of any other duty, is that understood?
-Crap crap crap... I mean, yes, Sir!
-Don't shit your pants yet, soldier. YOU get to keep your usual equipment of course, and your squad won't see any real action until they are trained and equipped. Also, you get to have Wypies' former quarters, in the military officer district. I'm sure that'll be more than adequate.
-Why thank you, Sir. I'll do my bst to train the lads.
-Gals, mostly.
-Sir?
-Most of your squad are women, like 80% of the fucking populace here. I tried to round up some decent guys, but those who are not already enlisted are vital elsewhere. You can't expect me to give you our best miners or smiths, we need those guys.
-So, more baby-slaying is imminent.
-Seems like it. Though I'd prefer if you and your squad did the slaying instead. Now, the final issue: what do you want them to be called?
-Well, they are doomed anyway, so the Shot Bloods should do nicely.
-Fantastic. Get to work immediately! Don't worry about your previous spot on the fort guard, I've given Higginbottom a replacement, though not equally skilled obviously. Dismissed.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16