Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort  (Read 40939 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2012, 10:27:10 pm »

I am ashamed to work with such incompentice :P

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2012, 02:00:45 am »

settled that we noticed something off. Wypie was... missing.

I had to say why... WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2012, 04:29:25 am »

the trick with arena fights is one on one unarmed opponents and if possible make them crippled before hand, i only use them to get more experience for my soldiers as they gain more in actual combat than training drills

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2012, 09:23:23 am »

Centaurs are, by definition, unarmed. I figured four steel-clad dwarves (all of them at least competent/proficient in their chosen weapon style) could take them no contest. I was wrong. I have to admit, the steel armor is not yet complete, boots and gauntlets are a work in progress, but every soldier has been issued a breatplate, pair of greaves and helmet. Also, most of the weapons are mithril, with some steel here and there, and wolfram for blunt. This is far from 'epic' equipment, but it should be more than enough against wildlife, or so I 've thought.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »

From the Journals of 'Sir' 1st Malachite, 104

Holy shit we are going to have a baron! Sure won't be me. And I won't have any of my boys prancing around as a noble, so I had to recommend someone outside the military. For lack of a better option, I chose Meph: Seems at least partially capable of handling her shit. I guess we should take care of furnishing an appropriate room for the maggot, I'm sure barony comes with becoming an entitled asshole.

For the record, I've reinforced the fort guard with two recruits. They don't have any real training under their belt obviously, but they seem agile and able-bodied folks. With the right equipment, I'm sure they will be fine. Steel production is very slow, since we still don't have REAL iron ore - we just smelt tetrahedrite, and hope for the fucking best. Which is not much. Somtimes I think we should just look for more mithril in the dolomite-galena layers, but outfitting our entire militia in full mithril gear seems like a pain in the ass, so mithril is still only used for weapons.

From the Journals of 'Sir' 17th Malachite, 104
Higginbottom is taking the recruits out to pummel undead birds. Though I may question his methods, I have to admit, this is a surefire way to slowly and steadily have the new lads aquire some degree of live-combat experience, and they aren't in any danger of getting hurt.
Still, this seems like an incredibly slow way to train for me.

We've also set up the fire turrets. Meph assures me this is the safe way to use them, without the danger of accidentaly setting the surroundings on fire. The whole thing runs one level below surface, and laid out like this:

1 - Stairs up to the outer courtyard. There's the possibility of setting traps and thing like that here in the future, for insurance.
2 - Gathering area for the military, with some fortifications - archers* could possibly use this to fire (pun not intended) at the enemy.
3 - Levers. the left one controls the bridge, right one shields/unshields the turrets.
4 - Fire turrets. We only have two at the moment, but there's room for improvement obviously.
5 - Drawbridge, with a three urist deep chasmn under it. Not much, but there's absolutely no way up. The ramps the miners used to dig it was floored over.
6 - Stairs leading outside, south of the fort. Safe and sound backdoor of the whole place, and also a way for the woodcutters to harvest the southern forest without circling around the whole thing from the north gate.

All in all, this looks like a decent job. I can't wait to test it on something. I also sincerely hope the turrets won't roast us alive, but that's the thrill of it.

*Some of those guys actually use bolts now. Not all of them, and I don't see the reason behind it anyway, since nothing changed. Maybe Wypie and the others were just incompetent cockroaches?

(Tomorrow? Not much. The day after that? Oh boy, that's going to be spectacular! Stay tuned.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 06:11:17 pm by Ishar »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2012, 06:58:07 pm »

the archers ARE the hunters

Military ranged dwarves cant use the ammo, because they think it is for hunting, same way miners/woodcutters get confused about their picks/axes when assigned as soldiers. Dont mix these professions and you are good.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2012, 01:54:35 am »

From the Journals of 'Sir' 10th Galena, 104
Since things are not exactly exciting lately, I've decided to give the little recruits a training session a little more... demanding. The remaining dark strangler zombies and zombie body parts were all gathered in the arena, and when the fortress guard took their positions, we let the creatures loose.
Of course, learning from the previous accident, we've taken precautions this time: Silus and his entire squad was in there with them, providing assistance. One of the new guys still managed to break his arm somehow, but other than that, the fight was smooth - with every combatant now fully (boots, gauntlets and all) covered in steel, and most of them wielding mithril or wolfram weapons, it was easy.
Every soldier is steadily racking up kills. Nobody came close to Freyas' current high score of 42, but some random axedwarf boasted that he is going to set a new record - apparently, this angered Freya so much that she's FINALLY up and active again. Not healed, mind you: her foot is still fractured, but that doesn't seem to slow her down. Her returning to active military duty is the best news I've heard in the previous months. My squad is back to full strength now.

From the Journals of 'Sir' 13th Galena, 104
We were getting bored with all the plump helmets and chicken eggs lately, so these unicorns are surely to be considered a delicacy now. The rangers are getting better, if not at fighting, then at least at hunting. Oh well, providing us with food is not such a bad deal, real men use melee weapons in combat anyway.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2012, 05:21:08 am »

From the Journals of 'Sir' 13-18th Galena, 104

The Third Siege of Shadytorments
During The Winter of 104

I assume this event is big enough to warrant a detailed description of its own. So, a strong force of dark stranglers came to take the fortress - at least strong for stranglers. Unfortunately, they encountered some of our lovely undead critters, this time, some burning skulls. I always assumed burning skulls were, by definition, undead of their own. You know, disembodied skulls and all that, but Meph (who seems to be quite a smartass indeed) assured me there's an even more zombie-er version like the usual, and this is exactly that. Anyway, the stranglers were in for quite a surprise, as the burning skulls viciously attacked them, giving time for our civilians to retreat to the fortress.

The dark stranglers engage the burning skulls, while the latter set fire to the grass as usual - engraving by Silus, captain of the Machines of Bearing

We closed off the north gate, as well as the small western bridge we've used in our early days, so the only entrance available for our foes was the underground one, which led them to the fire turrets. Finally, it was the moment of truth! The real test of dwarven engineering! The true test of our ingenious design and hard labor!

The first sieger, in the kill corridor, facing the mighty fire turrets, the ones that do exactly jack shit, with the implied cruxification of Meph, the lead architect - furious engarving by the military commander of Shadytorments, captain of the Cudgels of Power

When the fire turrets remained tragically silent, I've ordered the full military might of Shadytorments to kill us some fucking stranglers. They did so.

The thousand squads of the Dwarven Empire descend upon the invaders, emphasizing the valor of the Militia Commander - engraving by Meph, lead architect, as a desperate gesture of apology for fucking shit up

From The Chronicling of the Lord Commanders' Heroic Charge Against The Vile creatures, May Armok Keep His Blessing Away From Him! - from the epic written by Meph, as an extension of her earlier, pitiful apology attempt

Long story short, the siege left us with mixed feelings. For one, the creatures were repelled, quite easily in fact: we only have a slightly wounded recruit, the others don't even have a scratch on them. Absolutely no casualties, that's for certain. The dark strangler army was broken, beat and scarred so much, I doubt they'll try anything anytime soon.
For two, the turret setup Meph advised is an utter failure. Fire turrets can't be used behind fortifications, at all. She tried to salvage the situation by saying that changing the fire turrets to bullet ones would solve the situation immediately, but I was really fucking close to ration him a good, clean hammering.
The only reason she avoided that was the exceptionally good morale in the fortress - regardless of the automated defense system's utter failure, we won the battle without any losses.

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2012, 10:06:21 am »

A little hint on using turrets: the turrets need to have a valid walkable path to their target, otherwise they barely ever shoot. The good thing about this is, this does not consider whether a door is locked down or not. so just add a section like this on top of your turret stands:
Code: [Select]
bd..     Legend:
F..#     F - Fortification
F..#     . - Floor
F..#     # - Wall
F..#     b - Bridge (raising)
F..#     d - Door
F..#
F..#
####

Lock the door, so your dwarves wont get the idea to take it as a shortcut. If you happen to be dealing with monsters strong enough to smash down doors, just raise the bridge to protect it, but remember to lower it after those are dead.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:41 am »

Fun fact: bullet turrets are the same. They can shoot fine when right next to a fortification, but they tend to stay silent when there's empty space/open floodgate between them and the fortification.

So I've switched to moats, those work fine.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2012, 01:27:52 pm »

anyone exist who has no relations, lovers/spouses with no relations aside?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2012, 03:51:26 pm »

No, there's still nobody like that. Strange thing. To give you some perspective, we have ~130 dwarves, 120 bedrooms, and only about 70 is claimed, some of them by children, so quite a shitton of dwarves share beds.
And since the pop cap is set to 100, I don't think a migrant wave is coming anytime soon.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2012, 03:55:30 pm »

is there someone with almost no relations?
meaning less then 10.
with no gods.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2012, 04:09:20 pm »

I didn't manually check everybody, but those that I checked had more than one page, with children, spouses, uncles, parents, mixed with a lot of friends and lovers - it's crazy. We have quite complex family structures here.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2012, 04:09:57 pm »

oh joy.

can someone be modded in?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16