Mayday
- 18 (10.7%)
Ironhand
- 21 (12.4%)
Other I've not seen mentioned regularly :p
- 7 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [POLL] With what graphics do you play Fortress mode?  (Read 5567 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [POLL] With what graphics do you play Fortress mode?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 01:00:21 pm »

am I the only one that uses IronHand?

Maybe I should put my magic pixelart skills to use making a tileset... Personally, I prefer to use a graphics pack simply so I can tell the difference between "Giant Donkey" and "Dwarf" without using loo(k), or (v)iew.
You can't tell the difference between a big brown D and a colored smiley face?  ???

Really, you can almost always tell what creature is what after the first time on a given map by their behavior. Case in point: my current map has tiger men and giant tigers, both yellow uppercase Ts. However, tiger men appear in groups, while giant tigers are solitary, so if I see one yellow T, I know it's a giant tiger, and if I see more than one I know it's a pride of tiger men.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »

Gah, Yeah, dwarves show up as smilyfaces...

But dogs get a a big D, as do donkeys.  I think they are different colors though.  Still, I prefer to see a little emoticon for a dog and a donkey respectively. Computationally, the difference is minimal. As far as the GPU is concerned, that data being blitted is immaterial, so I dont see the problem.

I prefer animal crackers over alphabet soup.  Sue me. :D

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »

Dogs are small d's, war dogs being grey and regular ones being tan. Dwarves are smiley faces so there's no way you'll ever mistake them for anything else. The easiest way to tell what something is, is simply to press v and get the cursor in its vicinity (not that I need to that often).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:45 pm »

The point was that I dont like alphabet soup, and prefer animal crackers.  a crude animal image tile is more intuitive to sleepy engineers like me.

(I see enough alphabet soup making blueprints, and putting GD&T data down.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 03:29:10 am »

I'm so used to rectangular ASCII now, it'd be weird to look at anything else
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Pinguinpanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 04:14:42 am »

I use rectangular ASCII, but I use different colours. I just got used to ASCII, and when trying tilesets afterwards it just looked wrong, only thing that was better was the colours so I used a mix of colours from some tilepacks.

I also ussually have Stone Sense set up to have a look at my stuff in 3D.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 07:42:22 am »

Defaults. I thought about using a tileset when I started playing, way back when 40c was the most current version, but took one look at the relevant config file and thought, "No way am I touching anything in there, I don't know what any of it does and I'll probably break the game." I got a lot more relaxed about fiddling around with the raws after a couple of months, but by then I was used to the ASCII.

I tried Mayday's set once, just out of curiosity, but it turned out to be harder to tell creatures apart; I'm guessing Mike wasn't really drawing his sprites with 10-inch netbook users in mind. Maybe I'll give them another try one of these days now that I've got a decent-sized screen.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 08:04:38 am »

Regular rectangle graphics all the way.  I just tried turning graphics on to try this square thing, and it looked so ugly I immediately typed die in commands screen and changed it back.  I'm just so used to the rectangle version that I can't change it now.  I did always wonder why I could do a 5x5 and it wasn't square, now I know *shrugs.*  As far as telling what everything is, my eyes are adjusted to the 'matrix' and can read it perfectly lol.
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 08:15:46 am »

Phoebus. I like having everything colored, smooth and having it's own image. I find it is a lot easier on the eyes than ascii and makes the game much more enjoyable to play for me. The first tileset I ever used was ironhand, and that one was good too. So many colors, so pretty. :D Kind of surprised nobody else who voted for phoebus bothered to post about it, and it's just the ascii users posting (mostly).

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 10:36:32 am »

Square ASCII. Specifically, Markavian's 12x12 all the way.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 12:36:53 pm »

Am i the only one who uses Mayday?

Don't get me wrong, i love the Vanilla graphics, but when i was showing my friend how to play, he used Mayday and i thought to myself... "This is kindof nice..." and it stuck. Sometimes i just play with the Vanilla graphics to refresh myself, but i find mayday more pleasing to the eye then other tilesets/vanilla graphics.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:50 pm »

curses_square_16x16

But I voted "square ASCII," since that was the closest match.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »

Hi!

I chose the first option, even though I am technically using a slightly modified set as I have manually stretched the graphics since my computer insists on making things square. As I mentioned in other threads, I have grown used to the stretched ASCII to the point that it is the only way I personally can enjoy the game.

Yours,
Deathworks

thesocialshift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 01:10:54 pm »

This has really transitioned with time for me. I currently use the hanuman tileset (basically a better square curses) with selected graphics from the Ironhand pack. I like graphics for dwarves and goblins, etc. while having other things simple ASCII.

I learned the game using Ironhand, then transitioned to default without graphics for a long time. At somepoint I switched to the square hanuman tileset and just recently added the graphics I selected in.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 01:20:02 pm »

Vanilla with graphics off, because I can read little letters better than I can figure out tiny graphics.  I use a tileset to make it display squares as squares.

Vanilla with graphics mode on is still ASCII, just with square tiles and colored blobs for dwarves. That's why I use it now, I like the letters :D
I'm not sure why the poll thinks you can only get square ASCII with graphics on, though.

That was just for my own clarity. I don't know of a way to make it square without graphics mode on, or using another tileset. That's why I left an other, I guess, lol. Did I miss an option that makes vanilla graphics off square?

Edit: read a few more posts (lol), guess I did. Tile size setting, or something. I'll go have a look now, I liked the smileys:p

Although, I still haven't seen really any difference with it on or off, except the dwarves... Maybe I'm just blind, lol. I like em a separate graphic, so I might just keep it this way, anyway:-)

I tried out all the options in the poll when I first started, mainly because those are the LNP options :p stuck with Phoebus, just switched... I can read it now! Lol.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:29:34 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 [2] 3