Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is empathy useless?  (Read 8010 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is empathy useless?
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:38:18 am »

Is it?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Is empathy useless?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:40:26 am »

You're asking this.
On the Dwarf Fortress forums.
What answer do you really expect? ;)

I'm not sure from a game point of view. Probably. Check the wiki?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:46:21 am »

You're asking this.
On the Dwarf Fortress forums.
What answer do you really expect? ;)

I'm not sure from a game point of view. Probably. Check the wiki?
Empathy - Might increase chance of persuading people to Join you.

It says might, which helps alot. (not at all).

So thats why i ask.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:12:34 am »

Empathy and Social Awareness are very useful skills, as it is not easy to train them. I suggest you always put at least one point in each.

Musicality, Creativity, Patience and Linguistic Ability are completely useless, feel free to remove all points from them.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:32:12 am »

Empathy and Social Awareness are very useful skills, as it is not easy to train them. I suggest you always put at least one point in each.

Musicality, Creativity, Patience and Linguistic Ability are completely useless, feel free to remove all points from them.

i always add one point to social, to have 3 meatshields instead of 2.

but what us empathy used for?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:01:40 pm »

i always add one point to social, to have 3 meatshields instead of 2.

but what us empathy used for?
As you said before, it might help with recruiting companions.

What that means is that we don't know. Nobody has ever done the work required to find out exactly, though we have noticed signs that a higher empathy might allow you to recruit more companions. If you want to do the required !!SCIENCE!! and then come back and tell us so we can put it up on the wiki, feel free. But at the moment nobody has.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:07:25 pm »

For me it's a pretty important roleplay element too.

You can't really be a dogooder if you don't have empathy, you know? Likewise if you're going to slaughter a civilization it doesn't make sense if you have great empathy for everyone. Of course it depends on whether that kind of stuff matters for you or not.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »

You can't really be a dogooder if you don't have empathy, you know? Likewise if you're going to slaughter a civilization it doesn't make sense if you have great empathy for everyone. Of course it depends on whether that kind of stuff matters for you or not.

1. You can do "good" actions that benefit others whilst still having apathetic/bad motives in mind.
2. The reverse is also true. "I'm not killing them I swear! I'm just helping them die!"

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 03:34:41 pm »

I was thinking of starting a thread on most used or most useful or favorite Wiki pages. Here's one:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Attributes

and here is an excerpt:

Empathy   Animal trainer • Animal caretaker • Wound dresser • Persuader • Negotiator • Judge of intent • Conversationalist • Flatterer • Consoler • Pacifier • Leader • Teacher

So, I consider empathy in choosing squad leaders for the boost to Teacher. Note that it supposedly also affects Animal Trainer.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:11:01 pm »

@up No no, the wiki page shows professions boosted by Empathy, not the things that it helps in in adventure mode.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 01:55:51 am »

1. You can do "good" actions that benefit others whilst still having apathetic/bad motives in mind.
2. The reverse is also true. "I'm not killing them I swear! I'm just helping them die!"

Doesn't really seem realistic that it would be a consistent pattern of behavior, unless your character has a mental illness, is a psychopathic politician, or is forced to. If he does/is, then it requires a different kind of story than one doing good things from the goodness of their heart. As I said, it's a matter of whether it bothers you.  ::)
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:58 am »

empathy makes it takes less to get someone to join you like if your a peasant normally soldiers would laugh at you but if you sink a point or two in it they would join you the wiki says might because its unproven youca n easyily prove this so first time adventure its good

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 09:27:26 am »

No no, the wiki page shows professions boosted by Empathy, not the things that it helps in in adventure mode.

Oops, forgot this was the Adventure Mode forum.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 04:21:49 pm »

I just did a little test to find out.  I played an elf demigod with max social awareness, lowest possible empathy, and grand master fighter.  Without doing anything else I headed to a fort and recruited 12 companions, then retired.  I made another elf with the same stats but the highest possible empathy, headed back to the fort, and recruited 17 companions.

From the look of things, empathy helps recruiting companions, but not as much as social awareness.  I also learned that if you have no fighting skills, soldiers won't join you even if you're a demigod that specializes in being social.  And the soldiers learned not to be a condescending dick to the purely social demigod, or he'll ineffectually kick your leg and then you'll bash his head in and that's just messy.  And everyone else will make you clean it up, and then you won't, and then there's a body just lying there.  Dick.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 05:21:14 pm »

soldiers are based mainley off combat empathy is for peasnts and farmers the people who go i would.... rather not empathy makes it easyer to convince them so try them