Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poor Goblins.  (Read 1688 times)

ASimpleBoneFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poor Goblins.
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:17:14 am »

It's just not been a good embark for them, It's not even just my dorfs who have dismissed them as a minor threat. They lost their law-bringer in their first ambush, We figured out an ambush was happening when we tried to peel him out of a trap. Then an ambush they tried a few seasons later during the elf caravan was just comical. The elfs actively ignored them, setting up the trade depot while the goblins as a group chased different merchants around eventually ending with them all chasing a single merchant through the trap hallway.. A few more seasons later they had their first siege during a human caravan, charging in and immediately having their leader stabbed through the brain by a caravan guard causing the rest of the siege to retreat. All of my engravings seem to be goblins being ripped apart by traps.. or that dragon that came at the same time as their ambush.

Does anyone know if they accept gift baskets? maybe some tasteful goblin bone jewelry.

Anyone else have any stories about tragic goblin civs that just really aren't cut out for this attacking thing?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:38:09 am by ASimpleBoneFarmer »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Goblins.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »

Mine, obviously. Made clear by the fact that they no longer exist.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »

i lol'd.

My goblins had some fairly strong attacks for awhile.  Cave dragons, trolls, full sieges, etc.  Then their general came during a siege and got his head caved in.  Ever since they've only sent ambush squads led by elves.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ASimpleBoneFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:36:23 am »

Ever since they've only sent ambush squads led by elves.
A sure sign that they are tunneled way past the bottom of the barrel.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:59:10 pm »

Yes, poor goblins. I don't imagine training my mechanics by placing stonefall traps next to every bush is very sporting to them, or the undead goblins either, but really I was hoping they'd hit the zombies instead. It's not that they aren't cut out for attacking, it's that they never expected limestone boulders to drop on their heads from a clear sky. Perhaps they should have brought meteor shields; I could use some more metal.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:40:06 pm »

Goblins are rather pitiful creatures, considering their inability to trapavoid and their instinctive cruelty making them easy to bait into horrible goblin mangling devices just by placing a small cat in it.