Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Games and companies that allow monetization on Let's Plays  (Read 24814 times)

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games and companies that allow monetization on Let's Plays
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2012, 08:12:41 pm »

TGS en Machinima can sign other channels for partnership, handling the money and the rights etc. I'm 100% sure that they don't have all the rights their 'subpartners' use for their video's. Google just doesn't care or they somehow simply accept that Machinima and TGS take the responsibility. On the other hand, Google will _never_ simply trust the small guys with monetization. Even if you have shown that you have the rights to monetize a video 10 they might randomly ask you again for the 11th time.

I'm not hating on TGS or Machinima or their partners. I love what they're doing and I hope they continue. But they have a huge advantage over the smaller guys because Google favors the big guys. For example, try to get full blown partnership (not only monetization) as a new gaming channel. Won't happen. You won't be able to use their fancy CMS or even use custom thumbnails. You'll have to sign up with TGS or Machinima for that. That's bs imo.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2012, 03:23:38 am »

So your complaint is that Google doesn't give its youtube partnership to everybody all the time?
----
Also Youtube doens't do alot of active patrolling of youtube, considering there something like 36hrs of new video uploaded every minuet, it's quite impossible to actively look at content. They require concern parties to inform youtube.

So, its not really youtube saying it's okay that machina or tsg has uploaded any of its video. The partnership has a ToS, and can be quite fragile.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:25:42 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 04:17:20 am »

No, my complaint is that Youtube gives partnership to Machinima and TGS (and their 'subpartners'), knowing that they're violating the rights of copyright holders, but it's basically impossible to get partnership as an independent video game video maker. Even if you have the necessary rights! That's a highly unfair playing field considering that you have to go through Machinima and TGS to even get simple stuff like custom thumbnails.

The simple fact is that it's almost impossible to get partnership without going through these businesses. There might be exceptions but even if you have 20k subs you probably won't get full blown partnership and all the benefits without the approval of Machinima or TGS. While at the same time Machinima and TGS can (and do) give partnership to small channels with less than 10k subs who are violating rights of copyright holders. It's a messed up situation.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:21:19 am by Brons »

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2012, 04:47:19 am »

Also Youtube doens't do alot of active patrolling of youtube, considering there something like 36hrs of new video uploaded every minuet, it's quite impossible to actively look at content. They require concern parties to inform youtube.
Actually... If you have monetization rights (they call it partnership these days but it's not really partnership) you can activate monetization for video's and they put it under review. I'm not 100% sure how the backend works but this can  take several hours to a full day, so it's not automatic and it's not concerned parties informing Youtube. If you have the necessary rights they will activate ads on your video. But sometimes they will disable your video from monetization even if you do have the rights! I have over 500 video's of which I own the rights to monetize. All of them feature ads right now but I think that about 50 of them got denied initially even though they contain the same content as others who have been accepted. If I appeal their decision using the same documentation they always reactive monetization but this can take up to 4 (four!) weeks.

On the other hand, if you share your revenue with Machinima or TGS you get automatic ads, no questions asked.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:49:20 am by Brons »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 05:16:05 am »

No, my complaint is that Youtube gives partnership to Machinima and TGS (and their 'subpartners'), knowing that they're violating the rights of copyright holders, but it's basically impossible to get partnership as an independent video game video maker. Even if you have the necessary rights!
You're assuming they dont have permission, which is unknown. I bet they do.

That's a highly unfair playing field considering that you have to go through Machinima and TGS to even get simple stuff like custom thumbnails.
Then don't. Youtube of recent years have made fantastic efforts to lets folks make money of their uploaded videos.  But they're not the only folks out there. GO to twitch or blip or the other lessor known video sites.

And then or, I suppose, before, get permission to put up the LPs. It seems like you want this permission thing to be easier, but I dont see why it has to be easier. It may take time, money and lots of effort to get an actual yes or no on LPs. But so what. Why does it have to be easy?

The simple fact is that it's almost impossible to get partnership without going through these businesses. There might be exceptions but even if you have 20k subs you probably won't get full blown partnership and all the benefits without the approval of Machinima or TGS. While at the same time Machinima and TGS can (and do) give partnership to small channels with less than 10k subs who are violating rights of copyright holders. It's a messed up situation.
It sounds like you're assuming a lot with how their business model, and the legal side of works. Do have citation for these claims, even an AMA from reddit?

I mean, just going over the Direct Program details and the ToS, it sounds like Machinima is very well aware of copyright law, and have very organize system for handling it. For instance machinima will decline video with other copyrighted materiel in it. (such as music or images). They seem to be very focus with just video game materiel.

I dont see how they're for knowingly letting folks violate copy right law. Nor do I see how they stop others, or have a monopoly over video game machinima and lps.

THis is a pretty neat video, describing his experience with getting a partnership with machinima. It doesnt seem to support your view on the subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CO&hl=es-419&v=tM-Nc1XwpOo
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2012, 06:07:05 am »

No, my complaint is that Youtube gives partnership to Machinima and TGS (and their 'subpartners'), knowing that they're violating the rights of copyright holders, but it's basically impossible to get partnership as an independent video game video maker. Even if you have the necessary rights!
You're assuming they dont have permission, which is unknown. I bet they do.
It is indeed unkown. I just think it's not plausible that Machinima has written permission to all video games ever created.

Then don't. Youtube of recent years have made fantastic efforts to lets folks make money of their uploaded videos.  But they're not the only folks out there. GO to twitch or blip or the other lessor known video sites.

And then or, I suppose, before, get permission to put up the LPs. It seems like you want this permission thing to be easier, but I dont see why it has to be easier. It may take time, money and lots of effort to get an actual yes or no on LPs. But so what. Why does it have to be easy?
Yeah, easy answer. If you don't like the fact that Youtube is using favoritism and basically keeping the small content producer down, just go somewhere else! I never said getting full partnership should be easy. I just think it should be available to people who have don't have any strikes against their account, a good viewership and the rights to the video games they use. And it shouldn't be exclusive to 2 or 3 businesses who call the shots. Just imagine if you make video game content and say something bad about the people at TGS. You can kiss your custom thumbnails goodbye...

It sounds like you're assuming a lot with how their business model, and the legal side of works. Do have citation for these claims, even an AMA from reddit?

I mean, just going over the Direct Program details and the ToS, it sounds like Machinima is very well aware of copyright law, and have very organize system for handling it. For instance machinima will decline video with other copyrighted materiel in it. (such as music or images). They seem to be very focus with just video game materiel.

I dont see how they're for knowingly letting folks violate copy right law. Nor do I see how they stop others, or have a monopoly over video game machinima and lps.

THis is a pretty neat video, describing his experience with getting a partnership with machinima. It doesnt seem to support your view on the subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CO&hl=es-419&v=tM-Nc1XwpOo

Interesting that you use HappyCabbie as a source to claim that Machinima is aware of copyright law and have a good organization considering that the same person exposed Machinima for doing the opposite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZGQbfpXr4I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngj202Poays http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGPpeIWoXZA

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2012, 08:24:24 am »

-snip-

Your argument seems to be based on "I bet they do have the rights to every video game ever!" IANAL but I think it's safe to say that generally you aren't supposed to assume people have the rights to something... It seems to me that generally the opposite is standard, assuming people don't have the rights and challenging them to prove it (or more commonly just sending a DMCA takedown notice).

... Or just sending a DMCA takedown notice regardless because you don't like what they're saying.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2012, 02:23:36 pm »

For videos with adverts, places like TGS explicitly seek permissions from developers. They have a lot of viewers and as such it gives them a lot more weight to throw around, such that companies tend to give them those permissions. Why do you think TotalBiscuit uses a lot of music from video games in his streams for filling in the breaks? He has permissions to use all that music (he even explained this in one of the TGS Podcasts I believe) in his videos.

Also added Terraria to the list.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:25:07 pm by MorleyDev »

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 02:50:31 pm »

Google wants to invest money in Machinima

The deal may ruffle some feathers among other video makers, some of whom already complain that YouTube favors Machinima and a handful of prominent content partners. And people familiar with the funding round tell me that at one point Google considered routing the investment through its Google Ventures arm to try to allay those concerns.

What could go wrong?

adriaans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2012, 12:00:09 pm »

A bit surprised no ones talked about it yet, but what about Dwarf Fortress videos?
-Knowledge is power-

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2012, 12:11:32 pm »

I'm quite sure that since toady runs on donations anyway he couldn't care less. More people who see the game (especially with someone explaining what's happening on the screen) mean more potential donators.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2012, 01:09:57 pm »

I'm quite sure that since toady runs on donations anyway he couldn't care less. More people who see the game (especially with someone explaining what's happening on the screen) mean more potential donators.
pretty much this.

If I made a game, I'd not be remotely fucked about people monetizing let's plays of it, because it'd be introducing more people to the game.

Which means more money for everyone from the indie devs to AAA corporations. I know some corporations just don't seem to like money.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2013, 10:47:51 am »

I realize this topic is.. like 8 months old, give or take, but does anyone know if Tarn allows DF videos/LPs on youtube to be monetized? I thought I saw an indication that he has, but I can't for the life of me find anything in that regards.
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2013, 11:55:45 am »

I realize this topic is.. like 8 months old, give or take, but does anyone know if Tarn allows DF videos/LPs on youtube to be monetized? I thought I saw an indication that he has, but I can't for the life of me find anything in that regards.
*cough*
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:57:41 am by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2013, 11:59:48 am »

Please note: Despite the similarities in the name. Sonlirain is not actually the Toady One.

When in doubt, you should likely ask. Send a Email or PM to Toady would be my advice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5