Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF and clouds  (Read 4241 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF and clouds
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:25:42 am »

I am a bit worried about this - cloud is the number one buzzword today, and nobody can expect to survive without at least talking about it, even if it does not make any sense whatsoever (the hottest topic - cloud virtualization!!! twice the buzzword goodness for the same price).

So, what will DF do about this? Will it jump on the nonsense bandwagon, or fall wayside and be forgotten by history? That, dear Bernard, is an important question.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: DF and clouds
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 06:09:15 am »

I honestly have no idea what this topic is even about. Or what 'clouds' are relating to here. Is this like that unmanned drone thing The Pirate Bay was planning?
くコ:彡

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 06:11:57 am »

I honestly have no idea what this topic is even about. Or what 'clouds' are relating to here. Is this like that unmanned drone thing The Pirate Bay was planning?

The cloud is a new form of software delivery, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

It's a nonsensical suggestion for DF given that it isn't threaded (that is, everything is done in sequence) and that there's no integration of multi user access.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:13:29 am »

What of DF will extend into dynamic world of freeganism?  I hear a lot about freegans today and wanna know if DF will fall in step with this new, vibrant lifestyle.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 06:41:41 am »

This thread makes my head hurt

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:46:12 am »

DF already has clouds in adventure mode, actually. you see them when you fast travel.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 06:47:57 am »

What of DF will extend into dynamic world of freeganism?  I hear a lot about freegans today and wanna know if DF will fall in step with this new, vibrant lifestyle.

Kobolds are analogous to freegans.

Public perception generally follows suit.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:17:06 pm »

Post your community fortress on Teh Intarwebz.  Download it from anywhere.  Boom.  Cloud computing with DF.

Are we done here?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 02:23:02 pm »

meat is murder, you want to make the intarwebz an evil cloud! you sir must be an evil person, has not enough people being huskified into alcoholic tantruming sociopath by this game?
NO! :D
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 02:49:15 pm »

Post your community fortress on Teh Intarwebz.  Download it from anywhere.  Boom.  Cloud computing with DF.

Are we done here?

DFFD
Yes, we are done here.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 03:06:02 pm »

Are we done here?

This.

Although lately I've been storing and running all my fortresses from a thumb-drive.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 03:14:27 pm »

DF already has clouds in adventure mode, actually. you see them when you fast travel.
If the clouds are thick enough, they can also obscure your vision significantly - try to explore a foggy tundra and you won't be able to see more than a few inches in front of you.

Also, you win this thread.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:55 pm »

Another slightly related cloud solution: Dropbox.

If you have multiple computers (such as a desktop and a laptop), running DF from the dropbox folder is a great way to make sure you can play your fort from anywhere. I suppose one could extend this to allow multiple people to play the same fort, but you cannot have two copies of DF running simultaneously or !!Fun!! things will happen.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 06:44:34 pm »

If you have multiple computers (such as a desktop and a laptop), running DF from the dropbox folder is a great way to make sure you can play your fort from anywhere. I suppose one could extend this to allow multiple people to play the same fort, but you cannot have two copies of DF running simultaneously or !!Fun!! things will happen.
Somebody actually came up with a way to have multiple people running a single fortress off of a remote server IIRC. The only large problem was that because commands could only be given one at a time you had to pass around the controls. It allowed multiple people to view and give commands to the same fort simultaneously though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 03:48:18 am »

Somebody actually came up with a way to have multiple people running a single fortress off of a remote server IIRC. The only large problem was that because commands could only be given one at a time you had to pass around the controls. It allowed multiple people to view and give commands to the same fort simultaneously though.

DFTerm

It's a fun bit of kit.

I do like the dropbox idea; I wonder how much it would impact running a community fort - you'd not have to faff around with making sure everyone is running the right mods and if someone doesn't play their turn the game would already be good to go with the next player. Humm...

Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.
Pages: [1] 2