Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: SMR Breached; How to Mine Slade; Duplicating Candy *updated* Spoilers  (Read 53351 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Molten Rock Breached, Slade Mined. Spoilers
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »

I'll make a slade only stockpile and put it next to the magma forges and forbid everything except it when someone gets moody. Holy crap. It Just happened. while I was typing that one of my weapon smiths got a mood. Lets see what kind of slade thing he might make. He is asking for adamantine wafers specifically. but also stone. So He will have to use the slade.
He grabbed the slade. Its taking him forever hauling it from the depths of hell to his magma smelter near the surface.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:07:27 pm by GoldenShadow »

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 06:15:19 pm »

It's about ten times more dense than platinum, so of course it's going to be hard to haul.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Semi Molten Rock Breached, I broke the game. Spoilers
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 06:17:16 pm »

This is strange. I channeled through the Eerie pit to the most bottom layer of the map, which is -16 on this embark. But I can't do any deeper. I can't even remove the ramp on this level.
This sounds similar to the old behavior in 40d, where you could dig down to the bottom of the map, and then simply couldn't dig any further down.  The map simply didn't exist deeper than that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 06:22:28 pm »

This is my theory. When you build something on the slade floor, it converts the floor to the same material the construction was made out of. If you build a rough diorite floor over the slade cavern floor and remove it, it becomes a diorite cavern floor. There is still a Slade Wall directly underneath. However, all of the unrevealed blocks below that will become whatever the floor is when you reveal them. All except for the upper Slade wall, it will not change. Its kinda hard to explain. After I see what this weapon smith moods that slade into, I am going to savescum and try this a bit cleaner and make a video of it in action.

I figured out why an aquifer appeared down there. I built some of the walls with Stiltstone blocks. This created siltstone walls below which I guess support aquifer water or something.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:31:24 pm by GoldenShadow »

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 09:17:56 pm »

You mentioned earlier that your marksdwarves were using copper bolts. Try to use silver for bolts, if you can. Silver is harder and heavier, and will cause more damage because of [BLUNT].

Actually disregard that, I found out bolts use [EDGE], which means that sharper metals might be best, though hardness and density also make bolts more powerful. It's a bit complicated, really.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:32:41 pm by ComradeGafarov »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 09:25:03 pm »

They were using copper to train with. Anyways it seems to be just as effective at killing the demons. I had like 800 bars of copper and only about 150 bars of silver. Though I am using wood bolts to train the 3rd markdwarf squad.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Both parts of the Slade mining video are up now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:04:17 am by GoldenShadow »

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

Make slade warhammers/maces
:D
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Other than a moody weaponsmith, is that possible?

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would hope so. The density would make them AMAZING.

By the way, what did that weaponsmith make?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:48:05 pm by ComradeGafarov »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

adamantine mace with menacing spikes of slade, among other items

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A slade mace with spikes of bluemetal would've been preferable, due to slade's massive density, and bluemetal being a better piercing/cutting metal because of infinite sharpness.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure I understand everything correctly, but if most of slade under constructed floors actually changes to whatever are those floors from, I suggest using raw adamantine for coverage. Double spoilerific profit and all that. Maybe even smelted candy could be used, although Armok knows what will come out of it. 900$ adamantine bar boulders, maybe?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy Crap. Thats an awesome idea, I wonder why I didn't think of it first. Going to try right now.

Update. It didn't change the tiles, but I still don't understand whats going on, maybe the cavern collapse it what triggers the unrevealed tiles to change.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:09:19 pm by GoldenShadow »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It should not be possible to make a warhammer without a mood.  It might make catapult ammo that actually kills things, though?

Or, the most impractical rock pots ever.  Slade windows also sound amusing.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6