Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Hospitals: Very dangerous and to be avoided at all costs?  (Read 10903 times)

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitals: Very dangerous and to be avoided at all costs?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »

IS THE DORF HEALTH SERVICE PLOTTNG TO KILL US ALL?

Multiplicity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 04:12:58 pm »

My problem with hospitals is that my dwarves absolutely fail in keeping hospitalized dwarves hydrated, despite the hospital having plenty of buckets, a well, and all my docs dedicated soley for fixing up patients as well as tending to their needs (even my important dwarves still have patient care labors enabled). Then again, dwarves generally ignore dwarves who got wounded in battle and prefer to drag corpses and junk back to the fortress and leave the injured to die. So maybe dwarves just give a crap about wounded dwarves, period.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 05:52:53 pm »

My problem with hospitals is that my dwarves absolutely fail in keeping hospitalized dwarves hydrated, despite the hospital having plenty of buckets, a well, and all my docs dedicated soley for fixing up patients as well as tending to their needs (even my important dwarves still have patient care labors enabled). Then again, dwarves generally ignore dwarves who got wounded in battle and prefer to drag corpses and junk back to the fortress and leave the injured to die. So maybe dwarves just give a crap about wounded dwarves, period.

It's not your imagination that many dwarves would not lift a finger to help someone. Your chief medical dwarf's main qualifications should be a sense of duty and feeling rewarded by helping others.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 12:07:52 am »

This can be fixed with DFhack.  After you start the program, type 'liquids', then 'wclean', then 'block'.  Then, on DF, hit k, and just start going over your entire water system - switching back to DFhack and hitting enter, then back to DF, move the cursor ten spaces or so, then back to DFhack, hit enter, back to DF, etc.

It's time consuming and annoying, but it's the only way to deal with stagnant water.

I would suggest using 'flood' instead of 'block' ---> whole water system cleaned in one go. Map blocks are tiny (16*16), and will restagnate if you overlooked one of them. 'flood' will try to clean all tiles at once (might have problems with waterfalls, but that's another issue).

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:01 am »

While the CMD is not the one who HAS to diagnose, he does need some diagnostician skill; and s/he enables the hospital for use.

I've had mixed results. Due to various bugs/laziness, I never bothered with more than splints, crutches and cloth/thread and clean water for operations, (oh, and tables or traction benches) and the survival rate is roughly 75:25. (After five years, it's still about 70:30 from infection.)

I have had two dwarves with serious injuries come away without infection in previous forts; it seems the longer the time they rest before they are rescued, the more likely infection will strike.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 02:04:55 am »

My dwarves usually survive if they make it to the hospital without suffocating.

I have a cistern (2 z levels) made of entirely constructed floors and walls, with the only way in being a screw pump. By manually operating a wood pump you can do this very early on. The well is a water zone above this surrounded by an equipped hospital zone. As mentioned this fixes the stagnant water, even if it is stagnant where the pump draws water.

In addition 1, and later 3+ dwarves have all medical skills and nothing else enabled.

But perhaps the most important part:
- During and after a battle all items are mass forbidden. Some through options, some I manually mass forbid.
- After battle my own corpses and wounded are usually retrieved swiftly (not sure when they decide that a dwarf should "walk" back to the hospital though :p)
- After that items are free for all.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:42:40 am by humblegar »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 03:17:19 am »

Can you have 2+ hospitals, or we face the same bugs as 2+ depots?

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 04:33:35 am »

When is the antibiotic makers workshop coming?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 12:05:14 pm »

Just make a cistern underneath an aquifer, dig a shaft upwards into the aquifer to fill it up, connect the shaft to the cistern with a diagonal so it doesn't flood the fort.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:06 pm »

It might be a good idea to have a second hospital constructed and equipped but bricked up and inaccessable so when your primary one becomes infected you'll have a backup.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »

Approximately when DF includes stuff from the 20th century. Or one mod after healing magic is properly introduced.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 03:16:06 pm »

I use Dwarf Therapist to make everyone doctors. Saves time and hassle.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 08:50:03 pm »

Approximately when DF includes stuff from the 20th century. Or one mod after healing magic is properly introduced.

Really?  Physicians were using vinegar and alcohol as cleaning and disinfecting agents with a historical record going back to the ancient Greeks.  It was particularly noted as a weird quirk of the Franks, if I recall properly (and I might not; that particular detail was something I think I heard in passing somewhere).  Against a decent range of bacterial infections, it even actually worked (specifically, because the reduction in pH killed or reduced the activity of the pathogens).  Mind you, since they had no clue about microbial theory, much less modern antibiotics, they felt free to come up with their own explanations.  Besides, that dwarven booze has to have some powerful antiseptic properties; that's how you know it's dwarven, right?

Question on building sanitary cisterns for medical use: when people talk about lining it, they just mean putting in smoothed or constructed stone, right?  Does it have to be smoothed or constructed, just one or the other, or can it be left raw stone as long as there aren't any dirt tiles?  I looked in the wiki, but it doesn't give much details in the reservoir about how to keep the water clean. 

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 10:23:13 pm »

Question on building sanitary cisterns for medical use: when people talk about lining it, they just mean putting in smoothed or constructed stone, right?  Does it have to be smoothed or constructed, just one or the other, or can it be left raw stone as long as there aren't any dirt tiles?  I looked in the wiki, but it doesn't give much details in the reservoir about how to keep the water clean.
In my experience, rough walls have worked fine for my cisterns.
KD

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 12:18:58 am »

In my experience the "care for patients" labors (labours for 'u' loving cultures) are very low priority.  If you have the pop, dedicate 1or 2 "nurses" who have only those labors enabled  and things will be different.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4