Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Procedurally generate the dwarven language  (Read 6189 times)

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Procedurally generate the dwarven language
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:59 am »

It bothers me that the dwarven language used for names and such is hardcoded rather than procedurally generated.

Before worldgen, there needs to be a "pre-worldgen" phase where the game generates things such as pronounceable roots and affixes for words (and also creature anatomy, but one thing at a time). It should then divide these up using a clustering algorithm to decide which consonant groups belong in each language, and then assign each one a system for representing parts of speech and verb tenses (such as isolative, agglomerative, inflected, etc.). Since this happens before worldgen, it can affect things like the initial name of the world and the user interface (like instead of the menu saying "Dwarf Fortress", it will have the dwarven words for "dwarf" and "fortress").

Then, during worldgen, the first time a dwarf encounters some object or activity, the language table fills in that slot with a randomly chosen word. This table is used to name dwarves and their settlements and artifacts, so very early dwarves all have names that mean things like "stone" and "beard", and later get names having to do with pottery and metalwork and such.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally generate the dwarven language
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:41:37 am »

For dwarves no; for animal men it's planned.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:09:39 pm »

The world of DF does not have a prehistory. As with western man's perception of the world until about the 18th century or so, the worlds of DF are created out of nothing in a short time and in just about their current form, and their brief histories are fully documented. The idea that there might be periods of history that were not historically recorded (in sacred books at first, transitioning into less trustworthy pagan histories around the time of the Greeks) has only gained currency recently. This belief still endures in many places in the USA, where young earth creationists will happily explain to you how the world was created 6000 years ago and are hard at work to introduce this idea into public school curricula.

The fantasy cosmology of DF has its roots in medieval thinking; it is haunted by ghosts and monsters, vermin arise as if by magic from the earth, and its inhabitants live and die according to regular cycles without thought of advancing their knowledge or station. Medieval scholars were of the opinion that the divine language spoken by Adam and his kin up until Noah had existed in a perfect form, with words for everything under the sun, even those which had not been brought into existence yet. Medieval religious ceremonies were conducted in a dessicated and unchanging Latin that had preserved its form long after its function had been exhausted; what education there was was conducted in Greek and Hebrew that would have been familiar to speakers of those languages a thousand years before.

It makes sense that a fantasy world brought forth out of nothing with a history of scant hundreds of years, uninterrupted by deluge or Babel, should have unchanged languages retained since the beginning. Elves and goblins can be met in any world who have no parents, as they were brought into existence from nothing when the world was formed. Why should their languages change? Few men or dwarves can claim a lineage beyond a few tens of generations. For them there was no long journey to civilization, no loose tribes united by common need, no great migrations or new discoveries. No proto-dwarf ancestor ever crawled from a limpid cave pool to lie gasping on a dark rock at the root of a mountain; no ape-man ever snatched a branch from a burning tree after a lightning strike on a dark night and conquered fire; the secret of making steel and forging armor and weapons were not discovered but have always existed from the very beginning.

The world of dwarf fortress is very different than our own. This is also true of its languages. The broad sweep of time that we think of when considering human history simply does not exist.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »

Stirring though your post may be, I suspect that's less a stylistic choice on toady's part, and more a matter of him not having gotten around to implenting it yet.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 02:02:02 pm »

Toady's expressed interest in doing more with languages, but has also mentioned the potential problems (from DF Talk#10):
Quote from: Toady One
The other issue is if you're having the game randomly generate a language, which is something that we've avoided up to this point, even though you can throw something together, especially with as little structure as our languages have now – we don't really have any grammar for them or anything, it's just here's a word, here's how you write it – the only reason we haven't done that is because we're afraid of getting too many words that are real life words. So for our dwarf language we didn't want the word for 'mine' to be randomly generated as 'pepsi', and have the word for 'dwarf' just be some swear word because of what it comes up with ... so if your name is 'Dwarf Mine' your name would be like 'Poop Pepsi' or something. It's just not what we imagined for the dwarf language.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 03:50:08 pm »

My main problem with this idea is that currently the language files are editable and if they were procedurally generated they would not be.  I like the option of having the Dwarves use German, or Klingon, or whatever.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 06:00:42 pm »

You know what else bugs me? The text for the game is always English! The game should randomly generate which language the interface is in!
And you know another great thing about this suggestion? It would turn the whole namng system of "Urist McDwarf" into an anachronism! It's almost as good as if we were forced to trade with elves instead of killing them!

In case you can't tell, that was sarcasm. Seriously, some things can remain constant between worlds.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:33:44 pm »

In many ways, this suggestion reminds me of one of the earliest threads I participated in... ah, here we are...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=38052.0

Now, it wasn't really talking so much about how the game conveys itself to the user, but within some of the ideas discussed are the possibilities that "token terms" and a structural matrix to convey these terms could be procedurally assigned "output tokens" relevant to the original terms (and given a racial flavour), and with less reliance upon strict "subject object verb"/whatever formation, but leave that to a procedural (tightly-seeded PRNG originating) creation process suited towards the target as well.

OTOH, I think we'd have to constrain the process a lot (probably to remove most of the variety that could be experience to avoid the risk of Dwarves having 'moonspeak' or even 'Clanger' words; or risk harsh linguistic constructions that even a half-Welsh half-Klingon with a bad cold, irritable mood and particularly tight collar would rarely utter.  What we've got right now does, to me, sound about right.  But then it would, I suppose, being what I'm used to.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:03:36 pm »

Here's why random words shouldn't be totally random:

Dwarf named "Kriusoanotuyhi McNeuoauntaturioal"

Totally valid linguistically, could only really be generated randomly, almost completely incomprehensible, and not nearly Dwarfy at all.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:21:58 pm »

What you could do is use the utility DFLang and make your own generated language for each world. Only a small effort on your part and it does exactly what you want.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 09:20:30 pm »

What you could do is use the utility DFLang and make your own generated language for each world. Only a small effort on your part and it does exactly what you want.
If you put in some more effort after using DFLang to switch the generated words around, you can have a more natural sounding language.  I got the idea from a program made for linguists that did the same thing as DFLang, but generated a spreadsheet.

Here's why random words shouldn't be totally random:

Dwarf named "Kriusoanotuyhi McNeuoauntaturioal"

Totally valid linguistically, could only really be generated randomly, almost completely incomprehensible, and not nearly Dwarfy at all.

You can avoid that problem  by having a foreign dictonary and find the procedurely generated word that comes closest to the translation for the english word,  you avoid it being too close of a match by generating the raws with a different word list.  You can convert raws, including generated raws to a spreadsheet using search and replace in a text editor, if it makes it easier for you, by replacing double quotes to single quotes, and brackets to double quotes.

The program was updated to no longer use the spreadsheet because of licensing, before it was discontinued.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:26:36 pm by Courtesy Arloban »
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:21:20 am »

You know what else bugs me? The text for the game is always English! The game should randomly generate which language the interface is in!
And you know another great thing about this suggestion? It would turn the whole namng system of "Urist McDwarf" into an anachronism! It's almost as good as if we were forced to trade with elves instead of killing them!

In case you can't tell, that was sarcasm. Seriously, some things can remain constant between worlds.
Pssh, you need to start thinking on a greater scale. Randomly generated UI language? What we need, gentlemen, is a procedurally generated game.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 03:28:13 pm »

Pssh, you need to start thinking on a greater scale. Randomly generated UI language? What we need, gentlemen, is a procedurally generated game.

I won't go into the details (because it's nowhere near ready for the public, anyway), but I have something like that in pre-pre-pre-development.

Spoiler: But that's off-topic (click to show/hide)

Lipbalm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 01:03:44 am »

Now, if you're after a realistic Dwarven language... I dunno. It'll be tricky.

Firstly, is there a need? Yeah, almost everything's randomly generated but procedurally generating an entire language is pushing the limits a bit too far...

Let me explain in this handy little spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In any case, all I can see is the languages of each civilisation at completely different ends of the word being similar or exactly the same. This happened with the Polynesian languages (Maori, Samoan, etc) and they're really similar because they've only had less then 2,000 years to separate. You're not going to end up with a language situation like Europe in Dwarf Fortress. It'd be nice... But unless it exports the entire grammar to a PDF I'm not liking the idea at all. It'd take too long to generate a world.

What I'd rather is if the game picked out one of several templates for languages which could be applied at generation. It's a good idea but... It's only a good idea in theory. However, if there's an easy way for this to happen and not make me cry whenever I see the language, I'd be all for it.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 05:00:21 pm »

Because of Dwarven Efficiency, and because it's hinted at in the language raws, I imagine that Dwarves use cases, adjectives are just tacked onto nouns, and word placement is the same as Latin: not usually relevant.

I personally love it being like that. Having done a whole lot of Latin in my years of schooling, and having been really very good at it, I find the case system and lack of word order (for the most part) to be really interesting, if slow, and that's what the dwarven race needs. Lets say a dwarf wants to say "I want a red apple," I see him saying something like (and I'm just making this up on the fly) "Mœlar urd bemīngrang"

Mœl would mean "To Like" (because I couldn't find what it actually is in DF). Ar may be the ending for present-tense verbs

"urd" would be "an/a."

bemīng is apple in the nominative, bemīnger is the accusative, but bemīngr has no "e" because ang (red) starts with a vowel.

Another example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2