Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: You are a feudal lord!- Suggestion game  (Read 36765 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: You are a feudal lord!- Suggestion game
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2012, 07:46:53 am »

Hmm...what if we lured the bandits into a trap?  We still have those hunters, don't we?  We could use them to start an ambush, have them kill a few, then charge in using our spearmen ( and our Baronet ). 

I wanna wait till we get info about them, though. 

Also, UKR, why are we planning a rebellion? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2012, 07:53:09 am »

Did you play crusader kings?) Rebellion is the best way to become a baron ourself

And yes, if we have hunters, add them to the group that will meet bandits. But we need peasants with improvised weapons 6 vs 20 isn't good. And big no to waiting. Wasting the time is a bad idea, we need to dispatch them and get some fame before baron, other feuds react

And i insist on forgiving the peasant, we have good relations with our peasantry and should improve it further.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2012, 07:55:11 am »

I guess I see your point.  The man was probably starving. 

If the man was going hungry, let him go with a very serious threat.  If he was just greedy, beat him. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2012, 08:03:34 am »

I guess I see your point.  The man was probably starving. 

If the man was going hungry, let him go with a very serious threat.  If he was just greedy, beat him. 

+1

Also, I reckon that every able bodied man in the village plus us and the militia would be able to easily trounce 20 bandits. The key thing will be to lure them somehow into a trap. We want to draw them into the village on our terms...
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2012, 08:14:26 am »

I still think that we shouldn't tackle this problem on our own. I'm all for hunting glory, but this could easily get us killed. We have no heirs, and our "army" is a 5 man squad of spearman who have been training for about a year. We are talking 20 bandits who steal and fight for a living. Maybe I'm on my own here, but if we go after them, we should take the advantage.

And in regards to taking every able bodied man... would you feel respect and love to your lord if he told you to grab a pitchfork and head over to some other town and fight a bunch of grizzled bandits? We're going to lose face, and subjects, if we do that.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2012, 08:20:02 am »

No, no, I'm saying we lure the bandits into our village for a surprise attack. We get them to charge us and our five man militia and then the peasants swarm onto their flanks and rear. Hardly and risk at all :). Presumably, the bandits may come calling on us now that they've successfully looted a town upstream and we should be ready with a plan.   
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2012, 08:22:09 am »

No, combat in village = damage. We should meet them before they reach our land. And i propose to offer 1 gold coin to any peasant that will colunteer to go and fight ( not order, as said above, it will damage our relations with peasnts )

But let's return to the squire choice, it's a very important strategic decision, that will change game for years, I like both a peasant and local noble (but noble, IMO, better), and highly dislike baron's relative. Squire is our right hand, and he need to be loyal and respect us. Not view us as - my relative's servant, that will become my servant some day
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2012, 08:29:51 am »

Good point on the squire, I'll switch my opinion over to a local noble as well.

How about we send riders to the other local nobles, and try to organize a small expedition to take out these bandits. Safer, and will give us some stories to talk about over brandies and feasts with the other local nobles. Does that work? I really don't want our untrained peasants fighting these guys; they will get killed.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2012, 08:34:00 am »

Good point on the squire, I'll switch my opinion over to a local noble as well.

How about we send riders to the other local nobles, and try to organize a small expedition to take out these bandits. Safer, and will give us some stories to talk about over brandies and feasts with the other local nobles. Does that work? I really don't want our untrained peasants fighting these guys; they will get killed.

+1 to all this. It turn our bandit problem into an opportunity for us elite members of society to hunt the deadliest game. Everyone loves hunting the deadliest game? Shall the trophies of the day be ears or noses?

Also, this would give us a nice opportunity to check out the local noble potential squires. After all, we want a lad who doesn't get squeamish after seeing a drop of the re, red claret spilt. 

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2012, 08:34:59 am »

considering the amount of bandits and the lack of detailed information we have about them, we should probably not concern ourselves with them just yet.
if they were harssing OUR serfs however, that would be a differnt story.

we should consider sending out some people to gather information/rumours.

also, the offer to take the refugees in as serfs. allowing them to settle on our land in exchange for you know... stuff...

if they were herassing our serfs, that would be a different matter ofcourse.

for the squire I'd say either take a relative of the baron, or a relative of one of the nearby nobles. My preference would go for a nearby noble. The baron doesnt really like us. and if we for whatever reason would want to engage in a bit of lets say... mischief. it wouldnt help to have a snotnosed tattle tale as a squire.

Allow the peasant to make his case before you. a stern warning and a threat should suffice. if hes a total prick we should arrange for a beating. (so yeah +1 to what the others are saying)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2012, 08:43:35 am »

I agree that taking bandits ourself is a risky option, but rewrds may be pretty nice. We may get:

1) Their weapons will be ours and ours only. And weapons cost something
2) Fame
3) Bounty for the bandits that will surrender or we may recruit them, they can be somewhat disloyal, but nice militia.

Safe route will give us almost nothing

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:42 am »

"Safe route" will get us better relations and war stories to share with our fellow nobles, plus a first-hand look at potential squires in the thick of battle. Plus our peasants won't be killed, which I value quite a bit.

We'll still get some of the weapons, and some of the fame (we're going to lead this expedition), and some of the bounty as well. Plus, I don't think we'd want to recruit bandits that have already killed and maimed local citizenry. That could cause some hurt feelings.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2012, 09:13:45 am »

Well, I do think that we need to befriend small nobles like ourself, OK I agree with the "hunting party" idea

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2012, 09:18:02 am »

I'm still going with the "wait for more information" part of the plan. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2012, 10:56:25 am »

New proposal

1) Get 3 pages
2) Take a relative to one of the nobles in the area as a squire
3) If peasant is dirt poor, then show a mercy and release him, but announce that if he'll get caught again, he will become onearmed peasant.
else: Beat the thief.  Make it painful, but not crippling and announce that if he'll get caught again, he will become onearmed peasant.
4) Send messengers to the other local nobles, and try to organize a small expedition to take out these bandits
5) Turn servants into builders and order them build a simple watchtower (we must notice enemies before they come too close, and it's a good place for an archer or two)
6) If time is left, builders should also build a fence around the village

I doubt that 4 will work, I suspect that we'll get an answer like - it's baron's job.  But it's worth a try.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16