Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: You are a feudal lord!- Suggestion game  (Read 36809 times)

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a feudal lord!- Suggestion game
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2012, 09:57:50 am »

Yeah but to really bring some wealth back into our village we will need some kind of value added manufactoring going.

I can think of a couple of options.
- Weapons and armour made with imported materials. I suggest we start with simple things, like leather armor and simple spears and wooden sheilds, before we move unto things like plate armor and battle axes etc. Another option is to start our own mine and try to get the materials we need ourselves. This would take a while to gives us the full benefit, as it requires skilled personel to manufacture very valuable armor and weapons.
- Food, this industry would require the least amount of imported materials and while not as profitable in the long term as the armorment industry we would be able to start it up much quicker. We could make bread, beer, or meat (feed cows the excess grain as well as just pasturing them). Possibly fish too since we have a river, we could dry and export them. I think beer would be the most profitable option. We already have tons of grain lying around and you just stick it in a barrel with some suger and volla delicious alchol.

If we make things that are good for export people will come to our dock to trade, attract more people to a possible inn in the future, and just make all around more money. Of course all of these enterprises should be our personal property, we need to keep the economy tied in around us to ensure we make as much money as possible out of any economic growth.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2012, 10:16:33 am »

The original plan was to attract immigrants by having a well managed, safe and secure village. But if we can get ten times as much income in a fraction of the time just by making spears and shields, sure, let's do that instead.

Pull 5 people of farming and have them make spears and shields. Get stupidly rich.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2012, 10:48:01 am »

Woah, the amount of stupid comments like the one above is really a good way to kill creativity.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2012, 11:30:26 am »

What do you mean? A couple spears and shields apparently has a trade value roughly equal to what 10 farmers can produce in an entire year.

Why would we not want to make and sell them?

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2012, 11:37:42 am »

Can we all just cool down for a second? I'm sure the 25 gold coin value (we really need a simple for gold coin i am tired of typing that) seemed good at the time.  I think a drop to 15GC (yay orriginal symbol!) would be reasonable at that point because then if it looks like the guy is still making way too much money making simple weapons we can just say that they cost that much because of the costs of the materials and transport costs all the way out to our little village.

As an aside i would like to say that I fell myself and LordBucket did over analize this. I still believe that it is reasonalbe to argue the price should be dropped, but before I was too vitriolic in my language. This game as a great premise and shows a lot of potential. In everything besides the small issue of pricing of these weapons Evil Marahadja has been an excellent GM. I can imagine how hard it is to run a game like this. I have never run one myself so any criticism I could give the GM would be unjustified.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2012, 11:48:55 am »

Indeed 15 is a more reasonable price. Actually 10 might do aswell. Its hard to balance a game like this, especially since I am not a medieval expert. But I would appreciate a more constructive criticism in the future. Update is coming this evening.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2012, 01:17:01 pm »

Well, are there any objections to the construction of the port?

If not we should go ahead with that.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2012, 01:58:23 pm »

I do, but I'm clearly outvoted. I at least suggest you people look up the meanings of the words port, harbour and dock before you decide.

It's already been stated that we get our trade income from "going downstream" to Narsis. I assume that means we have small boats and the ability to land them.

What exactly is it you want to build?

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2012, 02:04:08 pm »

Whoa my bad I meant a dock, as I imagine everyone else did who agreed since we wouldn't need a port or harbour for now.

Yeah I had just been using the word interchangeably, but what I was thinking of was a dock. Your opposition to the construction of a port is much more understandable now.

A bigger dock than what we have now, one large enough to dock about 5 good sized trade ships, is what I think we need.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2012, 02:13:42 pm »

It's already been stated that we get our trade income from "going downstream" to Narsis. I assume that means we have small boats and the ability to land them.

Your village act as a intermediary between Narsis and the mining and lumbering settlements upstrem. So you get a cut of the profit as traders buy and sell stuff at your village.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2012, 02:22:07 pm »

Your village act as a intermediary between Narsis and the mining and lumbering
settlements upstrem. So you get a cut of the profit as traders buy and sell stuff at your village.

...so, they send ore and wood to us, and we have boats that carry it downstream to Narsis? Ok. So we do have boats. Are they sending it to us via land or river? If by river...why? How do they benefit from using their boats to send materials to us if we're just going to use our boats to send it further downriver? Or does that mean that we have better boats than they do? If so, that kind of makes it sound like we already have what everyone wants to build. What kind of accommodations do we have? Are we exclusively using rudderless boats and sliding them onto a beach? Do we already have a dock? Is there available slip space and moorings for trade vessels, or is it all taken up by our fishing boats?

Finally, what are the river conditions? Is it realistic for the trade ships that visit Narsis to travel upstream to our village?

EDIT:
Wait...I misread that. So...traders from Narsis sail upstream to our village to buy the goods that the ore/lumber settlements sail downstream to us? So...we already have docking facilities, yes?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2012, 02:37:47 pm »

I think our village is just a stop for traders on their ways up. Boats don't go very fast upstream and navigating in dark is quite hard. I think the boats that dock at our place are mostly small barges, so a better dock will increase trading stops. We can follow that with an inn.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2012, 02:46:54 pm »

The river is quite large where you are. So larger ships could travel there (Although your dock is not large enough to support them). The river thins out quickly upstream though. So you cant use the same ships for the whole trip. Hence the reason why your settlement is a
intermediary.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:49:21 pm by Evil Marahadja »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2012, 02:54:05 pm »

larger ships could travel there

your dock is not large enough to support them

Ok. This is useful information. I guess the next question is, after having bought the weapons discussed on the previous page, do we have enough money left to expand our dock?

And...do we happen to have any idea of the miltary and defensive capabililities of those ore and lumber settlements upstream?

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2012, 02:57:09 pm »

The river is quite large where you are. So larger ships could travel there (Although your dock is not large enough to support them). The river thins out quickly upstream though. So you cant use the same ships for the whole trip. Hence the reason why your settlement is a
intermediary.
So lets get some peasents to build us a dock fit to dock at least three of those ships at any one time.

Just build as large a one as possible with the money we have while being able to compensate the peasents at about half the price of their summer time labor, also use the volunters of course. I think half the price of their summer time labor is reasonable as they have nothing to do in the winter (I believe it is winter now as they just finished harvesting things) besides sit around and wait for summer. Sometimes hunt, but not really.

larger ships could travel there

your dock is not large enough to support them

Ok. This is useful information. I guess the next question is, after having bought the weapons discussed on the previous page, do we have enough money left to expand our dock?

And...do we happen to have any idea of the miltary and defensive capabililities of those ore and lumber settlements upstream?

I would assume that if we can build a granary for 50GC while fully compensating the peasents 50GC can buy us a dock if we only pay them half as much for their work. Also good question.

Oh and we still have a bunch of grain so if it comes to it we can always compensate the peasents with that. Or sell some of it to buy materials for the dock.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:07:13 pm by Mr. Palau »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16