Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Uh-Oh moments  (Read 5724 times)

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uh-Oh moments
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:45:09 pm »

So yeah this is a thread for moments like. uh oh, A person got possessed and I have NOTHING they are asking for. Goodbye sane dwarf

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uh-Oh moments
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:11:52 pm »

Forgot to close off an entrance, then get alerted to three simultaneous ambushes. Happened yesterday. And not just goblins, but some powerful ass modded creatures.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:14 am »

Walling the map edges of the cavern. I am like 90% done when a forgotten beasts shows up as the remaining area that hasn't been walled yet while all of my workers are running around down there.

It was a nasty one with a hard shell and deadly spittle.  Before I unpaused, I issued the Civilian alert to evacuate to the above ground military barracks. Then I had 2 squads, ten 15+5 axedwarfs in axe, fighter, shield user, and 4 elite markdwarfs. I gave them a station order at the central exit stairs then unpaused. Luckily, noone was in line of sight, so the forgotten beast lingered for several seconds before deciding to path into the fort. He ran into trouble when he met my military. He got owned pretty bad They chopped him up pretty good and no one got hurt, and they used their shields to block the spittle attacks so no syndromes, yay!. I then butchered it and made more soap and a forgotten beast roast stack of like 350 meals.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:27 am »

After building a large floor and 200 pumps i just realised the area i was draining for a dock was going to be about 10 tiles short for the ship i'm planning to build.
I better reembark with 7 embark tiles wide :/
Unfortunately i can't pick the same location, which took me hours to find a nice bay with iron/flux/trees and coal.
Also i spent half an hour embark/abandon/reclaiming with 10000 embark points of Oak/Limestone/coal/magenetite/steel bars/whatever.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:12:41 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:14 am »

Just export the world data in legends mode. Then generate the exact same world, but set the embark points to be several thousand instead of that messy embark/abandon/reclaim method. Then simply embark in the same place and take everything on the first trip. Assuming it only takes you like 10 minutes for world gen, you could have the same spot ready to go in about 15 minutes with no other delays!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:29:21 am »

.... Great idea, and i had already made embark points 10,000 but i needed much more steel, I'm thinking of just cheating and making the make steel reaction produce 100 bars.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 03:57:00 am »

Decide I want a well in the fort. Dig safe enough space so miner won't drown, place well, ramp up into aquifer.

The miner happily wanders out of the space and the maintenance door is locked. The reservoir which the well sits above starts to fill nicely. And then the area around the well starts to fill and then the fortress starts to fill and UH OH!
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 04:34:28 am »

A person got possessed and I have NOTHING they are asking for.
Had one of these moments in my previous fort.
The dwarven caravan had just left when my mayor got possessed. Of course he demanded plant fiber cloth, of which I didn't have any. And I had embarked on an area where dwarves were the only race to send caravans.

As an added bonus, the mayor went in full talking in tongues mode while the liaison was still trying to have a chat with him, so the liaison got all unhappy as well.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 05:21:51 am »

9 legendary siege operators
9 masterwork siege engines
all placed just a little too close to the entrance to the fort
and then everyone dies

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 05:54:55 am »

I have probably a quite frequent story - my dwarves were sweeping the battlefield of a siege (which was quite massive, with involvement of gobbo war leader) when the late lashers squad arrived. Late, because it was after disposing of the leader and most fights. I almost retreated to a safe zone, when one  of the dwarves has noticed the troll, who survived many shots and was advancing to the gate. After killing the relatively distant troll the dwarf noticed the more distant lashers... All my casualties from that siege (8 dead soldiers, 2 injured) were caused by that single las(h)er squad and its maceman commander. While the lashers were finally subdued by my melee, the murderous maceman fled!

There were three uh-oh moments:
1. when the lashers arrived
2. when the nearly retreated soldiers were attracted by the lashers and their fellows had to help (maybe that wasn't such a bright idea)
3. when most of my soldiers ran after a single fleeing, heavy wounded gobbo, directly opposite of the lashers position

I so hate lashers that I always treat them as FBs and consider as even more dangerous. Lashers are the only reason I'm even considering building danger rooms - such trained soldiers are nearly impervious to lashes (and flying bolts).

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 08:03:30 am »

"The traders are preparing for their journey."

SHIT SHIT GO URIST GO.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

SaberMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 10:54:35 am »

Started a new fort a few days ago, my first time to embark on a volcano, and it was going well. I had my magma forges and such setup and had started my first military squad on pump training, with plans to send them into the danger room next while I finished cranking out their steel gear. I *should* have given them some simple iron gear for training/emergencies and then melted it down later, but I figured I would be fine because sieges don't come this early...

I guess those gold statues I put in the nobles rooms and the dining hall boosted my wealth too much, because about that time I received a siege of 20 or so goblins. Thankfully my bridges were linked up already and I had traps at both entrances, but there weren't enough cage traps for all of them. I tried to run them back and forth by alternating the open doors so they would go back and forth across my serrated disc traps, and I managed to cut them down to 1 remaining goblin. Then I got careless with the bridges and that last goblin got in and has killed at least 8 dwarves already. At that point I saved the game and played something else while I think of what to do to fix it.

I'm probably going to conscript my miners into a squad and have them try to kill it (they are all pretty good with one legendary so I figure they can probably pick one goblin to death). Once he's dead I'll evaluate my remaining dwarves to see if I need to abandon/reclaim or if I can just wait for more migrants. !FUN!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 11:54:26 am »

I was doing my second aquifer embark. I had gone down through the aquifer with only minor problems using the "2 slit" method. Then I wanted a bigger entrance so i could put the trade depot below the aquifer, so I started preparing to dig up from below, and I dug up one level higher than I should have, and suddenly noticed water flowing down my main stairs. Uh-Oh.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 01:22:38 pm »

-A werelizard showing up right after a MASSIVE migration wave.
-Lever not hooked up to bridge.

FUUUU...

Then it attacked a clothier. Dumb me hospitalized him after:
-Severe blood loss
-Ability to stand lost
-Ability to grasp (somewhat?) impaired
-Motor nerve damage
-Sensory nerve damage

Why was that dumb? Well.. safe to say the were scratched or bite or whatever'd the clothier.
The clothier caught the werelizard curse, too.

THEN when he was human again, I had the damnest time trying to dead him.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »

Oh right, that dirt tile didn't get mined away because it had a tree on the layer above. How silly of me to redesignate it.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30
Pages: [1] 2 3