Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Musicians Thread  (Read 7772 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Musicians Thread
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:08 pm »

Hey! Hey you! Are you a musician, looking for a way to use your talents in a creative project? Do you want to contribute to musical projects that other Bay12ers are working on? Do you want to toot your own horn (pun intended)?

Well, look no further. This thread is for musicians looking for projects to join in on, and for composers looking for musicians to play their music. I had the inspiration for this a while back, when I was thinking about writing a suite inspired by the Battlefailed trilogy. After talking with some of my friends about an Indie movie we're planning on making, I decided to make this thread, so that the people of Bay12 will have a place to find musicians and music.

So, if you're a musician, post your instrument, and optionally what style of music you would prefer to play. If you're a composer, post what parts need to be covered, and preferably what style of music it is. A sample of the parts (MIDI or sheet music) would be helpful if possible. For example:

I play Bb Clarinet. I can and will play pretty much any style you can throw at me. I also play guitar, both electric and acoustic, but at a lower level than clarinet.

As far as the movie I mentioned earlier goes, the music hasn't been written yet, but the parts needed are:

Violin
Viola
Cello
Bass

Flute
Piccolo (?)
Alto Saxophone
Tenor Saxophone
Bb Trumpet (?)
F Horn (?)
Tenor Trombone (?)
Euphonium
Tuba

Various percussion parts (snare, bass, marimba, etc)
Piano
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:16:26 pm by Mego »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Musicians Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:52 pm »

Curses, no guitar part. Alas, if only I had kept up with playing trumpet. I'll be interested to see what the musicians of the Bay12 Forums will come up with, though.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:05:17 pm »

Yeah, I wanted a guitar part too, but it wouldn't fit with the theme of the film. Probably. The music we're imagining is mostly orchestral, with maybe a few operatic vocal parts.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:50:39 am »

I play Euphonium, and can compose a bit.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:09:46 pm »

Ah, excellent, another Euphonium player! I can offer my skills there if another is needed, but it's really not my, erm, forte. So to speak. That's piano (classical voice is a distant second), but it's not on the list, unfortunately. My sight-reading skills are atrocious, I learn from written music almost exclusively, and I don't have the drive for perfection that most good performers have, but I can play some tricky stuff with enough practice time. I would be happy to take a look at any piano music people have written, and provide feedback (constructive criticism always), or recordings, or both.

But, actually, I'd be more likely to serve on the compositional side. I haven't really written much at all - mostly vocal jazz arrangments - but recently I've been writing down quite a original few ideas that would be more appropriate in an instrumental context. I've been searching for some kind of contextual background for inspiration, and for some reason Dwarf Fortress had never occurred to me. I think I'll monitor this thread and wait to see what instruments Bay12 has available before I delve into any creative project, however.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »

That's piano (classical voice is a distant second), but it's not on the list, unfortunately.

I'm glad you said that, because it is supposed to be. I just considered it to be under percussion, but it probably needs to be separate.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 06:51:48 pm »

So... two euphoniums, a guitar, and vocals. Sounds like a rock band to me.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:53:58 pm »

2 euphoniums, 1 guitar/clarinet, 1 guitar, and vocals.

HELL YEAH

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 09:43:27 pm »

Anyone got a well-known-ish song they want to cover? I want to try arranging this now.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 09:46:05 pm »

Anything by Pink Floyd, and I'm in. Perhaps Comfortably Numb?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 10:42:15 pm »

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with that band; I mean, I've heard the name, but I've never actually heard one of their songs. If there's a song who's tune I know, I'd be happy to play a guitar part in it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 11:32:55 pm »

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. (I've heard some of their music, but not enough to name songs by hearing them.)

If we want to go with music that I've already arranged, I have oodles of sea shanties and traditional Scottish songs. Isle of Skye?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 12:16:13 am »

2 euphoniums, a clarinet, 1 or 2 guitars, and a vocalist performing sea shanties?

HELL FUCKING YES.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:27:19 am »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:26 pm »

Gonna have to say no to NWS, just because it is amazing and our eclectic mix of instruments couldn't do justice to it. The Mortal Kombat Theme, however...
Pages: [1] 2 3