Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Kinetic Void  (Read 27190 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Kinetic Void
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:31 pm »

It doesn't look like there is a thread for this yet... So I thought I'd make one.

Kinetic Void!

What is Kinetic Void?

Kinetic Void is a Science Fiction Space Sandbox, which focuses on procedural content, and detailed customization. The sandbox nature of the game arms the player with the tools needed to decide their own path in the galaxy; trading, diplomacy, combat, piracy, all are possible.

With Kinetic Void’s ship-builder, you can tailor your ship to any playstyle. Looking for a life of combat and danger? Swap out the extended cargo bays and crew quarters for more armor, a faster engine and another rack of pulse lasers. Wanting to lead the life of a battleship commander? Upgrade a small freighter to a super cruiser by adding hull modules, shield arrays, and turrets. But increased size comes with costs. Your ship will need more crew and equipment to run smoothly.

A different game every time! Each time a new game is started, the galaxy is generated, and not just the location of stations, planets and asteroids, but also the political atmosphere and even which factions are involved! No two games should ever evolve in the same way!

Influence the political nature of the galaxy. By signing up to work for a faction, your actions affect how the other factions perceive your “employer”.  Assist with forging alliances, or create tensions and war! Every action made by NPCs and the player contribute to a faction’s standings with each other faction. If one faction angers another’s allies, it can be expected that standings on all sides will deteriorate. When the galaxy is generated the standings between factions are also randomized ensuring that the galaxy will always be interesting!

There's a shipyard demo out allready, which is rather addictive. It's only in pre-alpha at the moment but the devs are updating it pretty steadily every Monday. Hopefully a kickstarter coming soon. They also do video updates on the development each week: click here for the most current one.

If you like lego and spaceships then this is something you'll enjoy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kinetic Void
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:47:38 pm »

That's pretty hot, but looks like the sort of thing my computer would have issues with.  The ship building looks incredible, extremely modular and free-build.  I love that.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:57:35 pm »

Oh wow... if this game delivers, it'll almost be my dream game :)

Here's to hoping!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »

Looks excellent. Seems to have very GalCiv 2 style shipbuilding, which is a huge plus since I always wanted to pilot those ships I made myself, but was limited to sending them into battle simulations.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on this game. And may even try to donate to it if it gets a kickstarter.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »

I read it as "Kinect Void", and thought of the cool places that could go.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:27:35 pm »

That's pretty hot, but looks like the sort of thing my computer would have issues with.  The ship building looks incredible, extremely modular and free-build.  I love that.

May as well give the shipbuilder demo a download and see if you can run it or not. :P

Also here are some ships I just built:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's really amazing the amount of stuff you can make with the few parts that are in the demo at the moment.

Harabeck- BLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »

Wow, it's cool to see interest in our game spreading. I hope you guys enjoy the demo. If you have questions/suggestions/bug reports please come by and post them on our forums. We're very eager to hear what you guys think about the game.
Lead programmer of Badland Studio. Check out our current project at KineticVoid.com!

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 05:05:17 pm »

Downloading the Shipyard Demo now. Looks really promising. Watching closely!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:05 pm »

Two ships I made. One's an armored transport, the other a detaching two-ships-in-one style colony ship/space station
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »

Awesome. The sandbox promise here is immense and very exciting.

Harabeck- BLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:18:05 pm »

Two ships I made. One's an armored transport, the other a detaching two-ships-in-one style colony ship/space station

Those are nice! You should rebuild them in the newest version. The textures look much better now.
Lead programmer of Badland Studio. Check out our current project at KineticVoid.com!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »

Harabek- BLS

Both posts thanking us and complimenting individual ship designs.  I think I'll be a fan of this game even if it turns out to be crappy, hard to compete with a developer like that :P

Harabeck- BLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:22 pm »

Harabek- BLS

Both posts thanking us and complimenting individual ship designs.  I think I'll be a fan of this game even if it turns out to be crappy, hard to compete with a developer like that :P

Well, here's hoping you get to be a fan of an awesome game.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 01:00:20 am »

Those are nice! You should rebuild them in the newest version. The textures look much better now.
Thank you, and definitely :) At the time I disregarded the updater.
The Disaster in action, with a new paint-job
Mr. Armadillo, doing his thing.
"Truthseeker", a heavy missile-boat, front and rear - I really, really want the engine shrouds at the back to pivot as you steer, though I know that's probably unrealistic hehe
The Aegis, a speedy corvette-type

Sorry for the image spam guys hehe. I'll stop, I promise. But this made me dig up GalCiv 2 again, so thanks for that =P

Are you planning on adding support for custom parts, as in GC? Even if they're just cosmetic, that really extended the life of the game dramatically.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

LumberingTroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 01:07:10 am »

Hey Guys, Sean here from BLS

Thank you, and definitely :) At the time I disregarded the updater.
The Disaster in action, with a new paint-job
Mr. Armadillo, doing his thing.
"Truthseeker", a heavy missile-boat, front and rear - I really, really want the engine shrouds at the back to pivot as you steer, though I know that's probably unrealistic hehe
The Aegis, a speedy corvette-type

Sorry for the image spam guys hehe. I'll stop, I promise. But this made me dig up GalCiv 2 again, so thanks for that =P

Are you planning on adding support for custom parts, as in GC? Even if they're just cosmetic, that really extended the life of the game dramatically.

We would very much like to have a mod community! It will have to be a post release development however as we are only 3 guys at this point. We plan to run our Kickstarter very soon, and if it goes very well, I would love to see an SDK as a stretch goal!

also I love the way your "Truthseeker" looks! I encourage you to play around with Hull 4, it has many connection points, and somewhere around 8 - 10 male connectors, you can do some crazy things with it! In the next patch I even added some more connectors to it because as I was building a ship I really wanted to put that part in a direction I couldn't. I love seeing people create stuff with the shipyard, and cant wait to get more parts in, the larger tiers of modules will be really impressive. here is an early shot of a Capital class bridge, next to the frigate bridge 1. http://i.imgur.com/IdGDR.png anyway, feel free to ask questions, here or in our forums, I'll keep an eye out here as well!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8