Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring Buffed?  (Read 1871 times)

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring Buffed?
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:25 pm »

I have started noticing a MASSIVE buff for sparring. Two soldiers that I embark with have managed to get an increase of 5-6 levels in their appropriate weapon in 2 years. Has anyone else notice this?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring Buffed?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »

yes.  2 soldier squads are the new danger rooms.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:55:54 pm »

Bring two/three proficient soldiers, set them up to spar and enjoy your legendary teachers after a year.

yes.  2 soldier squads are the new danger rooms.

Danger rooms are still danger rooms. Also the initial happiness boom from 2 man squads =/< 3 man squad

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:24:37 pm »

sorry, but that's twice today I saw reference to "danger room".  What is a danger room?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:28:15 pm »

A danger room is when you take a bunch of training spears (which are more or less incapable of harming clothed dwarves) and sticking them into upright spear traps. Then you connect all of the spears to a lever, move your military on top of the area, and then set the lever to be pulled repeatedly. Each time the lever is pulled the spears will retract/extend, and every time they extend your military will gain armor user from blocking with armor, shield user from blocking with a shield, dodger for dodging, and weapon skill for blocking with their weapon. And all the while your dwarves will come out virtually unharmed because the training spears can't do any real damage to them (babies, pets, and unclothed children being an exception to this rule). It trains your military dwarves fast enough that most people consider it a sort of exploit in the game unless you nerf the potential somewhat.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:29:29 pm »

sorry, but that's twice today I saw reference to "danger room".  What is a danger room?
Make a room with Spike Traps on the floor.
Fill them with Wooden Training Spears.
Station Military inside.
Set traps to repeat.
Your soldiers should gain amazing levels, and any injuries will train your medics.

NINJAS!
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:55:58 pm »

lol awesome.  how do people come up with this shit?  science?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »

Probably somebody thought:
"I know that dwarves can be speared with upright weapon traps, so could I potentially use one of these to train my military?"
And then after they built the first one and promptly killed several of their dwarves thought:
"Is there any way to make these less dangerous but still train as much? I know! I'll use training spears!"
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 04:02:28 pm »

lol awesome.  how do people come up with this shit?  science?

1. Someone made weapon traps with useless junk like training spears
2. Notices goblins suddenly becoming legendary Dwarf slayers
3. HOW WHAT WHO?
4. Notices weapon traps
5. Begins science
6. Begins !!SCIENCE!!
7. Weaponization