_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1952 1953 [1954] 1955 1956 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5927345 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: You just couldn't help yourselves.
« Reply #29295 on: August 21, 2015, 12:28:18 pm »

Milno decides to check how Rookie's going with that new, sahred body - and whether something ridiculous happened to it already - when he notices it's nowhere to be seen. He goes through the camera feeds and notices the thing disappearing into the infirmary. He sighs and decides to ask questions later; for now, he has a few other experiments to do.

Go to the test room, as long as no one is there testing something dangerous - if so, then just get an airlock. Check if I can simply make the gauss rifle float at about chest height using the gauntlet. Whether it works or not, and still using the mechanist gauntlet's powers, try to a) make the gun disengage/eject its magazine then b) press the trigger/make the weapon try to fire after being unloaded just to see whether it's feasible (if "a" fails then perform a manually, consequently saving ammo and making the test safer).
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29296 on: August 21, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »

No, I mean you're not just gonna get the blue shard, you're gonna get all the other components in there as well, the metal, the wires the lead shielding, etc. Might make it hard to tell what came from what.

Rimma thinks a little, then speaks again:
- If it is possible to remove the wires, it would be good. I would like to keep the shielding and the metal case around it though. I'm not very good with hardware, I think I'll mess the whole thing up if I try.
Do you think the entire blaster pistol could be made in a pill?

Talkity talk

Missed a thing
"Eh, Even if you break the thing the materials going in will be the same."

"As a whole thing? No. Maybe if you broke it up and fed it through in pieces.

Yeah, I don't know shit about this. I mean, yeah, you can create it out of thin air. That would probably be like...couple hundred feet in radius.

So, if I wanted to create one powerful enough to, say, deactivate a battlesuit, in a radius of a hundred feet, I could do that?

Question about manips: in the new system, can you explain how one exactly uses a manip? Do you just input variables (heat to X degrees y metres away) and let 'er rip? If yes, could one 'prepare' a manip action by putting in the variables but not hitting 'execute' until needed? If yes, could this be used to regain reaction shots in a way, but only for a single prepared thing? For example, you prepare the input/calculations for putting up a forcewall, but wait with hitting execute until needed. And if you then need to do something else entirely, you first have to delete the prepared variables, wasting time.

I dunno...I'm not certain if something can be completely insulated against EMP or not. Do you know?

Thats a good question. I'm not sure. From a realistic standpoint you probably should be able to, but I'm not sure from a gameplay standpoint. I'd say that...probably no because the point you enter (20 feet away, whatever) wouldn't be the same point a few seconds later (planetary movement, galactic movement, individual movement, etc)

CHARACTER

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hey, another newbie! How ya doing?

Wiki dis guy, Gnomes.

Eddie frowned for a split second.  Then his smile returned, but it looked a little desperate this time.

"What?  The recruiter talked a lot about going to strange and exciting places for the government.  He was a UWM recruiter, you know.  I, uh, think there may have been some kind of mistake here.  Is this the HMRC?  Is there a commanding officer I could talk to?"

Express incredulity.  Ask to speak to a commanding officer.
"Yeah, it's been a couple hundred years since then. Times have changed. Welcome to the glorious worker's rebellion. We still go to strange and exciting places, we just do it for fun, profit and war  now."

Run and find someone who has experience with this sort of thing, also scream.
 ahhhhhhhhhhh

You run out into the hall but you don't get far before the mesh is in your legs and you lock up and collapse.

"STAN 9 sounds interesting. I guess I'm watching that one! Oh, any other ones I should watch? To get an idea of who everyone is around here?"

Watch it. And other missions. IC knowledge gain time!
IC KNOWLEDGE GET

Yeah, just write it as one big block of text describing the experiences in question. There's only so much one can do if one is strapped in and shuts up. I'd really like to get the treatment done someday, you know.

Now are you sure you

Just kidding. I only asked because now you won't get to see your arms start talking to you! Oh well.

You can feel it when the stuff hits your spine; it comes in like ice water across the muscles of your back and seeps into your nerves with a dull ache. You feel odd sensations, tingling, a feeling like you have to move your arms and legs. You strain unconsciously against the bonds of the bed, the burning of the muscles quieting the desire to move. Your arms and legs feel soft and pliable, like taffy, with no bones. Your skin is literally crawling across your body like a wet towel. You begin to hear something. Or perhaps hear is the wrong word. Hearing implies comprehensible noise; this is white noise in your brain stem that carries with it emotions. Alien feelings are bubbling up into your head like foam, feelings for which you have no context. Yearning, hunger, searching, disappointment, desire. There's something missing from you, something gone. You feel it like a hand on your throat, like fire on your heels, like punctured lungs; it's gone and you need it. You're only vaguely aware of the outside world now. Your left arm brakes as it strains against the straps. You jaw is clenched so tight your teeth are cracking. You need out. You need to run free. What you need isn't here. You need to find it. They cut out your heart. The right arm strap breaks.

Your back arches, the strap on your throat biting in. The feelings are growing. Not foam now, no, now it's molten lead. It presses on your brain like a vice. You see stars, real stars, an endless expanse of black and pinpricks of light. You're moving across it so fast, so fast. The stars blaze large and then are subsumed in your wake. You can see it. You can see it. A pinprick of red on a distant galactic horizon. It's there! IT'S THERE! You're so fast but it's so far away.

You reach for it, reach, strain, scream. You stretch so hard you feel like your shoulder will dislocate, so hard that it feels like your arm is being torn away.  Your hand catches fire.

You wake up in a different room, still strapped to the bed, but this time with casts on your arms and bandages around your throat and legs.

"STAN 9 sounds interesting. I guess I'm watching that one! Oh, any other ones I should watch? To get an idea of who everyone is around here?"

Watch it. And other missions. IC knowledge gain time!
May I watch this performance too?
go to the theater with a couple rotten apples, when I get bored throw an apple at the stage and scream 'do better!'
Well you're watching a movie so...
Christopher slumps in disbelief at the short attention spans of his fellow union members, and the short attitudes of the commanding officers on ship, not bothering to reply that the denial of the need for a union is often an indicator of one being needed. He slowly begins to realise the hopelessness of his entire life and situation, and decides that fifty-six reasonably happy years is enough.

After a quiet cry over where he has ended up, he purchases the force monosword from the armoury, as well as a set of uncon battlestimms, making the latter into a pill in desparation using the pill machine.

He composes the following will on his wristpad:

Quote from: Last will and testament of Christopher Pseudos, age 29/56
I have already reliquished all claims on any property not on-ship at this hour, and do bequeath my sword and armour, and my room, as well as any other tokens or things of use that I have gathered, to the foundation of the Common Soldier's Union on board this ship, that fewer poor souls should suffer and die, with this meagre fund controlled democratically by the few who attended our first meeting, and all subsequent members ready to prove faithful members of the CSU.

Finally, he takes a glass of whisky from the bar into a testing chamber, and, all alone in the vast empty echoing space, downs it in one, and the pill with it.

He then sits quietly in horror at the choice he has made, waiting for it to take effect.

Making the uncon stims into pills won't really do anything beyond what they already do, so I'll save you a token.  I'd suggest something in addition to that.

1.The first test I'm not sure exactly what you're looking to find out.
2.Yeah, it survives none of those.
3.Well platelets don't heal do they? All they do is prevent bleeding. And they stop the bleeding basically instantly.
4.The standard venom is a Tetrodotoxin that inhibits sodium channels. Prevents neuron firing by not allowing them to form electrochemical gradients. Alternatively, you can get an Amatoxin, which inhibits mRNA production.  Neither are terribly fast, but the Amatoxin has a fatality rate of nearly 100%. Takes a long time to work though. We're talking over a week.
5.The bladed nails are sharp, very sharp, like an obsidian knife, but they won't make it through armor.
You want the Kisame model?

The first test is intended to test just how invisible the cloak makes the wearer - ie. how effective it actually is.

Auriel checks how long it takes for the Tetrodotoxin to take effect - and whether it's a "local" effect or affects the entire body.

Yes, sure, let's take a look at the Kisame model.

Additionally, Auriel will take a closer look at the invisibility cloak, to see the mechanism it uses to actually make the user invisible - more specifically, if it's possible to work the same effect into actual armor. If it is possible, I'll switch over to the Tinker thread.

Furthermore, she tests the effects of bladed nails both on unarmored and armored targets - to see what kind of damage it does to unarmored targets (ie. "comparable to monorazor, or a sword, or?"), and to see if they would "break" upon hitting armor, if they're like obsidian.

Depends. As long as the background and the person are relatively static, it's basically almost 100% effective. If either the person or the background moves a lot, it loses effectiveness.

Effects entire body. Takes several minutes at least.

The Kisame model is just the one Morul has. Just a lithe robotic body that loses strength and endurance in favor of being faster and more dexterous.

I'm pretty sure Lyra already did that.

They're basically like standard knives. Nothing special but very robust and sharp. They won't shred and explode stuff like a monorazor, but they'll easily cut through flesh, rubber, plastic, etc.

You would have to send messages through steve.

Depends what you consider big enough to move around in. They're about 12 by 12. Is that enough?
((Curses.))

Better play it safe. On movement room, not structural and fleshbeing damage; find a nice open room without a lot of people in it. Didn't we have a cursed boxing ring or something?

Then off we go:

Either way, begin testing berserk mode:

-How aware do I remain while berserking? Can I still think and change my mind on things, or does it focus me pretty much entirely on KILL MURDER MAIM?
-Related to the above, say I decide to destroy a certain chair in a different room, berserk mode, and then attempt to change my mind while in berserk mode. Does that work or fail, and why and how? (Also, preferably set berserk timer for short enough that I can't reach the chair in time)
-How badly does it stress out my body and mind?
-Related, how annoyed does the medical staff get when I show up with minor wounds asking to be treated despite not having been on mission at all?
-Does repeated short-term use seem to have any effects, either on its own (stress, agitation, exhaustion) or in relation to itself (better control, more severe rage, Eric assuming direct control)?

Depends on the Mind roll. Might be totally in control, might just completely lose it and hulk out.
Again, depends on the roll. On better rolls you could change your mind, on lower ones you wouldn't, on lowest you'd be too busy team killing to think about chairs.
Depends what you do. If you just stand there, nothing really. Maybe a bit tired.
None. They know this place.
HEHEHE I'LL NEVER TELL.

Push B3, C4, F4, H8, H1.
Recall results of last turns science.

Spoiler: last turns science (click to show/hide)

As per that first one, how equidistant we talking? Like, are you measuring this out so that each one is perfectly 5 feet from the cube or just doing it by eye?

Oh it doesn't matter. B2 can't be pushed right now.

You get b3 and c4 in but F4 isn't pressable.

Milno decides to check how Rookie's going with that new, sahred body - and whether something ridiculous happened to it already - when he notices it's nowhere to be seen. He goes through the camera feeds and notices the thing disappearing into the infirmary. He sighs and decides to ask questions later; for now, he has a few other experiments to do.

Go to the test room, as long as no one is there testing something dangerous - if so, then just get an airlock. Check if I can simply make the gauss rifle float at about chest height using the gauntlet. Whether it works or not, and still using the mechanist gauntlet's powers, try to a) make the gun disengage/eject its magazine then b) press the trigger/make the weapon try to fire after being unloaded just to see whether it's feasible (if "a" fails then perform a manually, consequently saving ammo and making the test safer).
It can do all these things. Assuming you roll well.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29297 on: August 21, 2015, 02:54:17 pm »

"... what an exquisite ride," Cthunkan comments in an awed tone. "Was that it? Or is there more?" he asks of the room, hoping that the question will not be answered by a rogue limb, or perhaps actually hoping that it will be. One could get used to visions such as these.

Question the room. Am I in observation after the procedure, or is this still in progress? If the room does not answer, twiddle thumbs and toes until the men in the clean white coats come to take me away or round two begins.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29298 on: August 21, 2015, 03:20:20 pm »

Duncan starts thinking properly just in time, realising what the uncon battlestimms be made into: nothing interesting. He then sits in the testing chamber a while longer, resolving not to break down again from VR-trauma so quickly.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:34:45 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29299 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:44 pm »

Would get done from the movie and wander abck to the union room and proceed to inspect his mighty sword more closely!
That was a great play! Fine acting! Like actual combat! Though the suits of armor and the magic looked especially interesting.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Nunzillor

« Reply #29300 on: August 21, 2015, 03:46:06 pm »

Eddie had no strong feelings about the UWM.  But if this organization promised the same sort of experiences that the HMRC offered, he was interested.  "O-oh.  Well... I'm not really opposed to that, I guess, if you guys still do the same sort of stuff.  In fact, if this is the armory, I'll get outfitted while I'm here."

Purchase MFM.  It comes with a 3-token brain, right?  In addition, pick up a few other items: backpack, 3 3-foot metal poles, electrical tape, as much scrap metal as is free, binoculars, a specimen jar, a combat knife, and rope.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:36:13 pm by Nunzillor »

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29301 on: August 22, 2015, 12:48:23 am »

Auriel buys a Cloak of Invisibility (3 token), a Monorazor (1 token), and one pack of Medifoam (2 for 1 token, right?).

She also checks the prices on the following, for future reference: Fatman Suit, High Guard Armor, Walking Bastion, Arbiter Cloak, and Public Avenger Gear.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29302 on: August 22, 2015, 01:12:51 am »

Alright then. Wander around some more, then hit up the rec room and watch some TV. Laser anyone that looks like they might be taking any suspicious pills
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29303 on: August 22, 2015, 05:23:06 am »

calm down and test my range of motion.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:26:22 pm by Urist McCoder »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29304 on: August 23, 2015, 11:17:36 am »

I dunno...I'm not certain if something can be completely insulated against EMP or not. Do you know?

I do, kinda, a little, but I'll provide some wiki quotes as evidence. Research ho!

I think it's one of those cases where you might not be able to literally insulate against an EMP of 'arbitrarily high size', but should be able to defend against EMPs generated in a way that's describable as 'portable'. I mean, I can imagine a battlesuit functions as a decent Faraday cage (which is how EMP shielding normally works):

A conductive enclosure used to block electrostatic fields is also known as a Faraday cage. The amount of reduction depends very much upon the material used, its thickness, the size of the shielded volume and the frequency of the fields of interest and the size, shape and orientation of apertures in a shield to an incident electromagnetic field.
Another commonly used shielding method, especially with electronic goods housed in plastic enclosures, is to coat the inside of the enclosure with a metallic ink or similar material. The ink consists of a carrier material loaded with a suitable metal, typically copper or nickel, in the form of very small particulates. It is sprayed on to the enclosure and, once dry, produces a continuous conductive layer of metal, which can be electrically connected to the chassis ground of the equipment, thus providing effective shielding.

But on the other hand it probably has weak spots or areas where it can still be damaged, aka 'holes' in the cage (for protecting against tesla coils, the faraday cage can just be a framework of metal. But for EMP protection, the cage has to be closed, more like a 'Faraday box').
Typical materials used for electromagnetic shielding include sheet metal, metal screen, and metal foam. Any holes in the shield or mesh must be significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation that is being kept out, or the enclosure will not effectively approximate an unbroken conducting surface.

And even without any big holes, shielding probably isn't 100%
Several factors serve to limit the shielding capability of real RF shields. One is that, due to the electrical resistance of the conductor, the excited field does not completely cancel the incident field. Also, most conductors exhibit a ferromagnetic response to low-frequency magnetic fields, so that such fields are not fully attenuated by the conductor. Any holes in the shield force current to flow around them, so that fields passing through the holes do not excite opposing electromagnetic fields. These effects reduce the field-reflecting capability of the shield.

So, we need to consider how a battlesuit is built. The main exterior element is armor, right? It might act as a Faraday cage depending on what it's constructed of, so you'd know best. If not, then it might still work if the outer frame is made of metal onto which the armor is attached. I personally suspect it would be shielded against small EMPs (eg small EMP nades or from a small nuclear explosion), but against a big EMp generating device (like that flux bomb compressor thing) I would imagine it would be affected. If not the whole suit, then at least certain components in places where the 'cage' isn't fully closed.

Finally though, note that this is for externally applied EMP sources. If I were to make one with the manip, it would be created out of thin air, meaning it bypasses shielding and directly affect electronics, right? Like how a microwave manip bypasses even the best heat shielding?

Thats a good question. I'm not sure. From a realistic standpoint you probably should be able to, but I'm not sure from a gameplay standpoint. I'd say that...probably no because the point you enter (20 feet away, whatever) wouldn't be the same point a few seconds later (planetary movement, galactic movement, individual movement, etc)

Hmm. But if I'm not mistaken, manip variables you put in are not some sort of 'galactic coordinates', but more a direction relative to the manip itself, right? Like 'create shield of 1m by 1m, 5m ahead at 15° angle above'. If so, why would it matter how much you move, since the relative input is still the same?

Or for another example, imagine you wanna create a 360° bubble shield around you. Fairly simple, and not matter how you maneuver still applicable/usable. Mind you, if you wanna deny it for pure gameplay reasons, no probs, just curious really.

If you wanna maybe allow it but balance it, you could say one can only have 1 manip action 'preloaded' (eg 'create bubble shield'), and that deleting the variables in case you wanna do something else (eg 'crush X with gravity') takes some time (eg one turn of combat time, so people suffer a sort of penalty if they wanna have a manip action prepared).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:05:03 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NoHopeNoChance

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29305 on: August 23, 2015, 12:09:51 pm »

Random new person has joined the game

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29306 on: August 23, 2015, 01:30:03 pm »

so whatever B3 targets cant have positive color?

continue the string and push G4, F7, H1.
if any button cannot be pushed, move to the next button until the string is complete.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29307 on: August 23, 2015, 05:31:21 pm »

Grab a stack of paper from the armory (I'm assuming I can get that for free) and head over to the test chamber for some testing on the burning power of my doom arms.
Can I do fine control over intensity? Can I scorch paper without burning through it? Can I scorch it so lightly that the scorch is only visible from one side?
What about controlling which parts of my arm are burninating? Can I press my entire hand against a piece of paper and only burn with say, the fingertip of my pinky? Can I do finer control such as burning a perfect square without moving my hand?

Also, turn my hands to maximum doom and karate some target drones into pieces for fun.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29308 on: August 24, 2015, 10:50:14 am »

Christopher leaves the testing chamber quietly, selling the unused battlestims and force monosword back to the armoury. He then purchases a laser rifle with a Haebi bone spike bayonet from the team fund for one token, hoping that it's an old soldier's weapon, and will serve him better than the previous owner. He also buys a blaster pistol and monatomic razor, and tries to get some more military combat fatigues, with as few bloodstains as possible.

((Do I bold team fund purchases?))
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29309 on: August 25, 2015, 10:15:47 am »

"... what an exquisite ride," Cthunkan comments in an awed tone. "Was that it? Or is there more?" he asks of the room, hoping that the question will not be answered by a rogue limb, or perhaps actually hoping that it will be. One could get used to visions such as these.

Question the room. Am I in observation after the procedure, or is this still in progress? If the room does not answer, twiddle thumbs and toes until the men in the clean white coats come to take me away or round two begins.
You look around as best you can with a strap around your throat. You appear to be in an observation room; there's a big mirror on the far wall, next to a door, which you can only assume is two way. A voice comes on over a speaker.

"How does your left arm feel?"

Eddie had no strong feelings about the UWM.  But if this organization promised the same sort of experiences that the HMRC offered, he was interested.  "O-oh.  Well... I'm not really opposed to that, I guess, if you guys still do the same sort of stuff.  In fact, if this is the armory, I'll get outfitted while I'm here."

Purchase MFM.  It comes with a 3-token brain, right?  In addition, pick up a few other items: backpack, 3 3-foot metal poles, electrical tape, as much scrap metal as is free, binoculars, a specimen jar, a combat knife, and rope.
Wiki

Yes, comes with a discount brain.

And all that we can give you for free, but no more.

Auriel buys a Cloak of Invisibility (3 token), a Monorazor (1 token), and one pack of Medifoam (2 for 1 token, right?).

She also checks the prices on the following, for future reference: Fatman Suit, High Guard Armor, Walking Bastion, Arbiter Cloak, and Public Avenger Gear.

Wiki the first part, as long as those check out in price.

As per the last part, I don't freaking remember. Half the time I talk about stuff once and no one expresses interest for months. I don't even remember half that stuff.

Alright then. Wander around some more, then hit up the rec room and watch some TV. Laser anyone that looks like they might be taking any suspicious pills
https://youtu.be/9CX0oSjwLqI

calm down and test my range of motion.

Well you can still move your upper body...but the stuff is creeping up your abdomen now so that probably won't be the case for long.

Random new person has joined the game
Another one eh? We're in that time I suppose. Wiki gnomes, make sure he's ok.

Welcome aboard.

so whatever B3 targets cant have positive color?

continue the string and push G4, F7, H1.
if any button cannot be pushed, move to the next button until the string is complete.

None of the buttons in that string, even the final one, can be pressed.

Grab a stack of paper from the armory (I'm assuming I can get that for free) and head over to the test chamber for some testing on the burning power of my doom arms.
Can I do fine control over intensity? Can I scorch paper without burning through it? Can I scorch it so lightly that the scorch is only visible from one side?
What about controlling which parts of my arm are burninating? Can I press my entire hand against a piece of paper and only burn with say, the fingertip of my pinky? Can I do finer control such as burning a perfect square without moving my hand?

Also, turn my hands to maximum doom and karate some target drones into pieces for fun.

Yes, you can do those things as long as you roll 5's.

Maximum doom? That might be dangerous.

Christopher leaves the testing chamber quietly, selling the unused battlestims and force monosword back to the armoury. He then purchases a laser rifle with a Haebi bone spike bayonet from the team fund for one token, hoping that it's an old soldier's weapon, and will serve him better than the previous owner. He also buys a blaster pistol and monatomic razor, and tries to get some more military combat fatigues, with as few bloodstains as possible.

((Do I bold team fund purchases?))
WIki, so long as it all works out.

Good luck with that rifle.

I do, kinda, a little, but I'll provide some wiki quotes as evidence. Research ho!

I think it's one of those cases where you might not be able to literally insulate against an EMP of 'arbitrarily high size', but should be able to defend against EMPs generated in a way that's describable as 'portable'. I mean, I can imagine a battlesuit functions as a decent Faraday cage (which is how EMP shielding normally works):

A conductive enclosure used to block electrostatic fields is also known as a Faraday cage. The amount of reduction depends very much upon the material used, its thickness, the size of the shielded volume and the frequency of the fields of interest and the size, shape and orientation of apertures in a shield to an incident electromagnetic field.
Another commonly used shielding method, especially with electronic goods housed in plastic enclosures, is to coat the inside of the enclosure with a metallic ink or similar material. The ink consists of a carrier material loaded with a suitable metal, typically copper or nickel, in the form of very small particulates. It is sprayed on to the enclosure and, once dry, produces a continuous conductive layer of metal, which can be electrically connected to the chassis ground of the equipment, thus providing effective shielding.

But on the other hand it probably has weak spots or areas where it can still be damaged, aka 'holes' in the cage (for protecting against tesla coils, the faraday cage can just be a framework of metal. But for EMP protection, the cage has to be closed, more like a 'Faraday box').
Typical materials used for electromagnetic shielding include sheet metal, metal screen, and metal foam. Any holes in the shield or mesh must be significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation that is being kept out, or the enclosure will not effectively approximate an unbroken conducting surface.

And even without any big holes, shielding probably isn't 100%
Several factors serve to limit the shielding capability of real RF shields. One is that, due to the electrical resistance of the conductor, the excited field does not completely cancel the incident field. Also, most conductors exhibit a ferromagnetic response to low-frequency magnetic fields, so that such fields are not fully attenuated by the conductor. Any holes in the shield force current to flow around them, so that fields passing through the holes do not excite opposing electromagnetic fields. These effects reduce the field-reflecting capability of the shield.

So, we need to consider how a battlesuit is built. The main exterior element is armor, right? It might act as a Faraday cage depending on what it's constructed of, so you'd know best. If not, then it might still work if the outer frame is made of metal onto which the armor is attached. I personally suspect it would be shielded against small EMPs (eg small EMP nades or from a small nuclear explosion), but against a big EMp generating device (like that flux bomb compressor thing) I would imagine it would be affected. If not the whole suit, then at least certain components in places where the 'cage' isn't fully closed.

Finally though, note that this is for externally applied EMP sources. If I were to make one with the manip, it would be created out of thin air, meaning it bypasses shielding and directly affect electronics, right? Like how a microwave manip bypasses even the best heat shielding?

Hmm. But if I'm not mistaken, manip variables you put in are not some sort of 'galactic coordinates', but more a direction relative to the manip itself, right? Like 'create shield of 1m by 1m, 5m ahead at 15° angle above'. If so, why would it matter how much you move, since the relative input is still the same?

Or for another example, imagine you wanna create a 360° bubble shield around you. Fairly simple, and not matter how you maneuver still applicable/usable. Mind you, if you wanna deny it for pure gameplay reasons, no probs, just curious really.

If you wanna maybe allow it but balance it, you could say one can only have 1 manip action 'preloaded' (eg 'create bubble shield'), and that deleting the variables in case you wanna do something else (eg 'crush X with gravity') takes some time (eg one turn of combat time, so people suffer a sort of penalty if they wanna have a manip action prepared).

That first part is getting far too close to tinker for this thread. In any case, if what you're talking about is right, it would seem like the major parts would be pretty well insulated (the armor contains metallic mesh remember) but that joints would provide a conduit for the effect to enter the body. I'd say it is vulnerable, but only to either a targeted EMP or one thats quite strong.

If that makes sense. I dunno if it does.

Hmm. Maybe but you'd have to type things out exactly and if you didn't end up wanting to use that sequence it would take you a turn to delete it and start over.

Pages: 1 ... 1952 1953 [1954] 1955 1956 ... 2101