_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1878 1879 [1880] 1881 1882 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5929811 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Ping Pong Massacre
« Reply #28185 on: June 08, 2015, 08:52:51 pm »

((I think I just got confused because people keep changing their avatars for some reason, and they don't retroactively update. Sorry, lol.))
He's using a site that gives a different image every time you load the page. they do retroactively update.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28186 on: June 08, 2015, 10:01:16 pm »

((I think I just got confused because people keep changing their avatars for some reason, and they don't retroactively update. Sorry, lol.))
He's using a site that gives a different image every time you load the page. they do retroactively update.
Ohhhh, that explains it, thanks. I was getting really confused with that, especially since I often don't bother reading the name if the person has an avatar I recognize (and if not, well, sometimes I still won't, apparently).

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28187 on: June 08, 2015, 10:14:08 pm »

((Alright, after trying to learn what I can about this game, here goes... probably not quite a good starting character, could use some tips, maybe some slight modifications before he's put in the game?))
Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)
My advice is that you're likely to have trouble being useful with this character. Handiwork tends to be one of those skills that looks awesome but doesn't see much use. Materials and tools that let you make anything better than standard are pretty hard to come by, and even when they're not we've often got more talented crafters on board.

You can do it if you want, but expect to be doing a lot of crude jerry-rigging on missions and being asked how, exactly, you intend to make the laser shoot faster.

Aux suffers from similar issues; there certainly are terminals to hack and vehicles to pilot, but probably not enough to form an entire character concept out of (much to the dismay of many people here). Gen Knowledge, same deal; I imagine it comes up handy at some point, but it's not exactly a bread n butter skill.

All of which boils down to one very simple issue: You don't have a weapon skill. You're ignorant with guns, dangerous with manips and swords, and a walking disaster with alien fuckery; this is going to give you a lot of times on mission where you're standing there realizing that there's nothing that needs to be repaired, glued onto something else, piloted, hacked, or thought about in terms of general knowledge, but arguably could stand to be shot in the face or something.

So personally, I'd suggest you grab a point in a weapon skill: Con, Uncon, or Exo. You don't have to, if you'd rather keep your character flavorful, but you'll probably be doing more missions than normal huddling behind a robotic overlord wishing you were better at combat.

On a more mechanical note, the tradeoff system isn't one-to-one; it scales mercilessly. The first +1 costs a -1 elsewhere; having two +1s costs -3 total, and having 3 +1s costs -6. It'll be pretty expensive to begin with those skills, and you'd need another -1 to have those stats. I'd recommend a +1 something -1 something build, but I tend to like being able to dabble in everything; if you intend to be more focused, you could try dumping a bit more to get what you want.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28188 on: June 08, 2015, 10:23:42 pm »

((Alright, after trying to learn what I can about this game, here goes... probably not quite a good starting character, could use some tips, maybe some slight modifications before he's put in the game?))
Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)
My advice is that you're likely to have trouble being useful with this character. Handiwork tends to be one of those skills that looks awesome but doesn't see much use. Materials and tools that let you make anything better than standard are pretty hard to come by, and even when they're not we've often got more talented crafters on board.

You can do it if you want, but expect to be doing a lot of crude jerry-rigging on missions and being asked how, exactly, you intend to make the laser shoot faster.

Aux suffers from similar issues; there certainly are terminals to hack and vehicles to pilot, but probably not enough to form an entire character concept out of (much to the dismay of many people here). Gen Knowledge, same deal; I imagine it comes up handy at some point, but it's not exactly a bread n butter skill.

All of which boils down to one very simple issue: You don't have a weapon skill. You're ignorant with guns, dangerous with manips and swords, and a walking disaster with alien fuckery; this is going to give you a lot of times on mission where you're standing there realizing that there's nothing that needs to be repaired, glued onto something else, piloted, hacked, or thought about in terms of general knowledge, but arguably could stand to be shot in the face or something.

So personally, I'd suggest you grab a point in a weapon skill: Con, Uncon, or Exo. You don't have to, if you'd rather keep your character flavorful, but you'll probably be doing more missions than normal huddling behind a robotic overlord wishing you were better at combat.

On a more mechanical note, the tradeoff system isn't one-to-one; it scales mercilessly. The first +1 costs a -1 elsewhere; having two +1s costs -3 total, and having 3 +1s costs -6. It'll be pretty expensive to begin with those skills, and you'd need another -1 to have those stats. I'd recommend a +1 something -1 something build, but I tend to like being able to dabble in everything; if you intend to be more focused, you could try dumping a bit more to get what you want.

((Actually his character is good, the first 2 1's each only cost -1))

((But again, this is probably better on the OOC thread.))
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:26:05 pm by fillipk »
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28189 on: June 08, 2015, 10:27:12 pm »

Actually his character is good, the first 2 -1's each only cost 1
Where are you getting this from? The Reality Shift thread and Parisbre's thing both state that each additional point costs one higher than the last.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28190 on: June 09, 2015, 12:44:02 am »

((The character creator page uses that rule, it was a thing when I created my character, and I think the wiki says so.))
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28191 on: June 09, 2015, 12:52:20 am »

Watch result of battle between non-MkIII-wearing Steve-controlled Milno vs a synth-flesh bot with +1 in everything, except for Uncon, End and Dex with +2 and basic weaponry. Battlefield is featureless plains, not atmosphere and not deadly towards humans.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28192 on: June 09, 2015, 01:08:02 am »

((The MMI was that man machine interface brain implant that lets you control tech like the assault suit as if it were a robobody amongst other uses, like letting steve control your body when the shit hits the fan.))

Place nyarstifact tusk carefully into whats his faces empty arm socket or stump, if it doesnt bond to his flesh be upset and remove it.

Ask nurses to test it for medicinal purposes.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28193 on: June 09, 2015, 01:20:01 am »

((The character creator page uses that rule, it was a thing when I created my character, and I think the wiki says so.))
((Ah, I see it now. That is some terrible formatting.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28194 on: June 09, 2015, 01:21:35 am »

((What, on the wiki? Cause if yes, thank you for volunteering to fix it!))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28195 on: June 09, 2015, 02:20:36 am »

((What, on the wiki? Cause if yes, thank you for volunteering to fix it!))
((*grumble grumble*

To make sure I'm understanding the system correctly: Each +1 costs one more than the last, but you get a second free +1 for -1 deal which can't be explained as "your first two +1s" because it only applies to individual entries going from 0 to 1, whereas the normal system works identically from 0 to 1 as from 1 to 2?))

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28196 on: June 09, 2015, 03:06:26 am »

((*grumble grumble*

To make sure I'm understanding the system correctly: Each +1 costs one more than the last, but you get a second free +1 for -1 deal which can't be explained as "your first two +1s" because it only applies to individual entries going from 0 to 1, whereas the normal system works identically from 0 to 1 as from 1 to 2?))
(( Yes. ))

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28197 on: June 09, 2015, 03:37:05 am »

Phoebe mopes and regret being caught. Not that he actually did anything. Duh.

"Hey... Steve whatsyourface. You're a wetwork computer, right? How do you keep your brains preserved?"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28198 on: June 09, 2015, 06:43:36 am »

((Alright, thanks for the help. Being new I didn't really know the consequences of this and the wiki didn't help much either to be honest. I'm going to go back to the drawing board with my character, don't put him in the game.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28199 on: June 09, 2015, 07:01:14 am »

((Alright, thanks for the help. Being new I didn't really know the consequences of this and the wiki didn't help much either to be honest. I'm going to go back to the drawing board with my character, don't put him in the game.))

((Did you read the newbie guide? It clearly states, for example, that having 1 weapon skill you're good with is a good idea.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 1878 1879 [1880] 1881 1882 ... 2101