_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1408 1409 [1410] 1411 1412 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5822461 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Mission 11: Grate's attempts at Apotheosis
« Reply #21135 on: December 09, 2013, 10:27:32 am »

(( My... Welp.
Hey, GWG, if Grate lives through this and remains quantum, how do you feel about visiting the Doc and telling him our little theory on his identity?..
Or maybe Renen, Lukas, or heck, Maurice could try doing that. On the chance that the end of 'Corps affiliation with UWM might have made him a tiny bit more lenient-oh wait, no. Scratch that. Urban Executors and their amps. ))
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:29:24 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #21136 on: December 09, 2013, 10:31:24 am »

((Out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in a cross-post of a skyrim screenshot LP for a zero-experience, zero shout run?))
(I'm pretty sure you need at least four shouts to finish the game, but sure.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21137 on: December 09, 2013, 10:34:46 am »

Yeah, I made an ultramodern pad for all of my fellow florans to live in, where the new blended with the old and was lit in creepy green light.
And now I'm going to lose it.
Nice thing about DF: When it updates, you can still play your old saves. Heck, you can even play an old version, if you come up with some reason to.

...I now want to play a 2D fortress which is in the shape of pi. Like, the number. 3.1415926535...

((I may just get it to see what all the fuss is about.
((I'm considering the same...))

Also I think that the Doc might be that "Clockwork God" it seems to fit in my mind at least. Either that or STEPHEN HAWKING is that. Because he invented everything.))
((He even invented not being sure if you're a god or not?))

(( My... Welp.
Hey, GWG, if Grate lives through this and remains quantum, how do you feel about visiting the Doc and telling him our little theory on his identity?.))
((If someone gives him a reason to...sure. And if he still has a chance of being...quantum-ey.

Which reminds me...how could we determine if Grate is still quantumy?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21138 on: December 09, 2013, 10:56:42 am »

((Out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in a cross-post of a skyrim screenshot LP for a zero-experience, zero shout run?))
(I'm pretty sure you need at least four shouts to finish the game, but sure.)

((You can skip quite a lot.  The only required ones are for main quest But Thou Musts.. and you can skip a couple of those.  Most of the in-dungeon checks can be skipped trivially.. it's only when forced to do so directly by a NPC that you must.  The general thing is that the character refuses to admit the existance of dragons.  Recently, I had an idea that would let me complete it by using no more than two shouts, a total of threeish times.. and two of those might be possible to cut out.))

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21139 on: December 09, 2013, 11:36:32 am »

((Anyone here ever played hostile waters?))

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21140 on: December 09, 2013, 12:16:04 pm »

Get very far away from whatever is happening, with BT.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:21:17 pm by Grunhill »
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21141 on: December 09, 2013, 12:17:24 pm »

((Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising? Yes. Though it was a while ago, and I've recently happened upon a much more faithful recreation of Carrier Command.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21142 on: December 09, 2013, 12:30:31 pm »

((Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising? Yes. Though it was a while ago, and I've recently happened upon a much more faithful recreation of Carrier Command.))
((What are you guys talking about and is it free to play?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21143 on: December 09, 2013, 12:36:27 pm »

((What are you guys talking about and is it free to play?))
((Hostile Waters (or Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising in the US) is a British video game inspired by carrier command. Oh, and it is quite hard.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21144 on: December 09, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »

((which pill was that, again?))

((I already volunteered for diplomacy duty, but if needed, will go anywhere.))
De-Ass the area, away from the.. thing.
Well, the briefing room you're in is pretty far from the hanger, so you go hide under a bench.

"FUCK. CAN WE NOT CATCH A FUCKING BREAK?"

Move to the door, and peek out. If anything flies at me, nudge it out of the way with my mass amp. If whatever comes down that corridor looks to be way out of my league, duck back inside and dive for cover.
You peek your head out the door of the briefing room and look around. Nothing...yet.

"STEVE! WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?!"

Get into a place where I can move away from things flying around. Ideally, outside if possible. Far away otherwise.
Well, since you're in the briefing room, you're not exposed to shit floating yet. You also can't really get outside because the only way out is the hanger, which grate is in. Really, he picked a very bad place to do this, at least in terms of evacuation.

*Sigh* so now this is happening. There goes all attempts to do something quickly. See bottom of this post.
Sorry. I was hoping that it would help me find something...useful Grate could do before he went on the thing.
Of course, the way you phrased that makes me worry...

Actually, you shouldn't have your MK II since they just took your head and your body was vaporized by the nuke.
Does he have the Mk II's helmet? Doesn't the armory buy back damaged equipment at half price or so?

The lights in the room glow far too bright and then explode. Lockers bend and bow, being forced away from him. He tries to run and the wall melts in front of him, letting him burn his way straight into the hanger. The shuttles rattle on their racks and metal crates begin to rise into the air, glowing red hot. The ground beneath his feet rapidly cycles between different materials and light shimmers and behaves in ways not normally seen outside gravity wells and pulsars. His body glows, streams of condensed energy flowing off of it as he holds his head, trying to control whats happening, trying to calm the unimaginable amount of information he's receiving. Every atom screams, every string of weak nuclear force rings like a tiny bell, gravity is a far away roar.
((Did the doc see this happening, and if so why didn't he just say no? "Such things may be dangerous" is pretty...iffy...))

((which pill was that, again?))
((The one made from the manipulator battery.))

"AAHH! WHAT'S GOING ON?!?!"

Try to get away from the Sword and every other structure without causing too much damage. Also try to get this...everything under control.

[will:5]

You gain back enough control to run out of the hanger and back across the gangway, into the administration building.

AAHH! WHAT'S GOING ON?!?!

Run the fuck away
((Because it's The Doctor. You sound almost as if duty of care was a reasonable expectation of hm.))

"...shit."
Charles runs the fuck away from whatever the hell is occurring. Preferably to the infirmary or armory if he can reach them in time.

Much running commences

((I think the general reaction OOC even before GWG decided to have Grate to do was "that shit is dangerous" on top of the usual common sense. Well, Grate survived once but I rather doubt he'll escape this one.))

Milno is about to answer Maurice on the meat sandwich matter when something seems to happen. Something very crappy, as it is usual. "What the hell is happening in the ship?"

Ask Steve, activate EMM if shit goes out the window. Leave airlock if necessary to engage in "prepare to clean shit other people did" mode.

Edit: Duck as appropriate.

You stay in the airlock and watch as grate runs out and disappears into the building beyond.

>Clearly something which we'll find hilarious upon reflection, but terrifying at the moment.

(( ... Grate, if you destroyed that ship I worked so damn hard to bring back safe with one action :P ))

... yeah, I'm going to go with 'duck', anything that's throwing off that much energy is not something I can deal with.

Hide in the briefing room, duck under the table

Much hiding commences.

((@GM You missed me. Or did you?..
Also, wouldn't they rebuild Xan's MkII up from the helmet, just like in Feyri's case? Or was his head brought back without the helmet for some reason? EDIT: Ninja'd by GWG, same argument.))
Volunteer for amp overload aftermath mission.
Hey Steve, need any help with whatever weird something happening over there? In addition to checking that amp overload, that is.
Offer assistance. Sit, smile, drink soda and read something on transhumanism philosophical rationale from my datapad library. Pick VonNost's work if I happen to stumble upon it.

You calmly pull out your data pad and start reading as everyone panics around you. You can't find anything by VonNost though. It would seem as though that physical edition that the armory master had might be the only one you'll be able to find easily.

"Oh, shit."
Grab the nearest vulnerable-looking people and shield them.

You stand in front of several people, attempting to block possible mind bullets with your face.
((Now you dun it))

((Also, yeah, Steve would have zapped you if it would have blown up the ship.))

Lars, feeling the strange force, reacted on instinct.  He ran as fast as he could toward the briefing room and his supreme overlord.  "STEVE, SAVE US ALL!"

Run to Steve and fling self at his feet.   Supplicate.

>I would, but his shock module isn't working for some reason. Maybe interference. Maybe it is on but just not effecting him. Hard to say. I suppose I could go stop him personally...but we really should let his parents take care of this.  Hey, Jim, you wanna go discipline your child before I have to have the armory master do it for you?

((For the Doc to say that something may be dangerous... well, I'm not sure where to place him on power level, but signs point to more powerful than the AM. That said, he'd probably be quite probably be more interested in the transformation than in the damage to the ship. That's his domain.))

Get into cover, as far as possible.

Spoiler: Gorat 'Chin' Ivanos (click to show/hide)

More running.
"May, let's leave for a bit. I'm not liking those noises."
Thomas halts the cooking and runs.
Even more running.

Get people away from Grate, using battlesuit's strength and rockets. Don't let people close, even the ones who PMd you actions to shoot him. Especially those ones. Running away is the most sensible thing to do anyway. ((Hey, some of us want to see what happens. And it is more sensible to run away than to try to shoot him, since he could turn the bullets to candy. Or worse, turn the shooter into light. And it makes sense in character.))

And going to the amp overload even without Gilgamesh seems appropriate, since I indirectly caused it. I should help with all that.
I'd be going without Gilgamesh if i went on a diplomacy mini-mission too, right?

Well, grate ran do there's no one over there by him for the moment. Still, you guys might want to round up a posse of amp and manip users to deal with this. Before it gets worse, that is.

"Someone fucked with space magic again, it seems. Im just going to take a step back and...""

Take cover, be ready to deflect harmful whatevers with my amps
The running part 2: The Runnening
"Well!"

Get out of the way of pretty much everybody - duck away in a corner if possible and hope that I do not die horribly.

"Steve, are we allowed to go to the other sections of the ship now? We're not prisoners anymore, are we?"
The Running part 3: A good day to Run Hard.
"Dammit I JUST FIXED THAT! AND IT BROKE AGAIN! I think I hate children."

STEPHEN HAWKING decides not to interfere with the small child again. He is currently on the fence as to whether he should start hating children.

((Nice job breaking it GWG. I suppose if you die then we can try and revive the QGrate corpse and hope its "you"))
Kids are so ungrateful
...I have the feeling that I will need that shortly.

Since I'm close to the AM, go hide behind her counter.
If I'm not, jump onto Steve and hide behind him.
If I'm close to the Doc, go hide with him.

Quote from: Xan->Doc, Armory Master, Nyars
Something may have gone catastrophically wrong. If you manage to disable the anomaly, please preserve it for me. I wish to look at my goal.
You hide near the armory counter. The armory master sighs  and puts down her book.

"Honestly, it's like some of you were born without survival instincts."

((Please do that as far away from the ship as possible.))
((And with the AM/Doc supervising.))

Duck and cover.

((Also, Grate must really be power-hungry. That's two times he's tried to become more than human now. :P))

((I have 20 Will! I'll be fine.))
((Until you roll a 1, resulting in a 2.))
It's happening again!

"For three tokens? Not...really. A MK III would do it, even just a exoskeleton would do it. But three won't buy you an exosuit good enough to boost it to what you need."
((You know, there are several people who are swimming in tokens right now. Like Lukas, who has more than 20 sitting around. He isn't around much nowadays, but I'm sure other people could help out. And you can have that 1 token back if you need it, I didn't expect to get so many back from that manip. We'll just say you bought it for 3 then. Or maybe you can borrow someone's Mk.III or something.))

So you get that perfect decomp installed. I'll save you the work of having to wander around, get your suit opened and operated on, because stuff.
"There aren't any limits beyond the fact that you can't get any more subatomic then atom innards. No messing with quarks, but you can pull apart atoms and rearrange the numbers of protons, neutrons and electrons to make new things. Mostly, the limits are your own capacity. Making a lump of iron into a sword is fairly easy, converting the atmosphere around you into steel and then into a machine gun is possible, but hard. And don't try to make anything living. Again, it's possible, but not smart."
((Thanks, keeps things moving. Though I noticed you haven't deducted 20 tokens from Miya's Space Idiots file, might want to do that if you get around to it.))

""Ah yes, thanks for the info. Since Steve won't be needing me anytime soon it seems, I'll just busy myself with trying out my newfound skill, and training with it.
However, just as he's about to order a load of practice materials with the AM, the quantum shit hits the fan.
He tries to run and the wall melts in front of him, letting him burn his way straight into the hanger.
((I assume Miya is in his regular place in the hangar? If not, just ignore my post.))

"Holy hell, what is that? Where did that even come from? WHY DOES THIS STUFF KEEP HAPPENING?
How do I stop it, or stabilize it or something?"
he frantically yells to the AM while patching her through so she can see what's happening. "Any idea whatsoever will do."

Back away from the Grate thing. A good amount.
If AM has any sort of advice on how to stabilize him or help him using my manip, do so.
If not, just try to stop or slow down whatever is going on with him, if that fails or I have no idea of how to do so, just use manip to push it away from the Sword and other teammates, but not off of the gangway if possible.

((No idea if this will work at all, but it's the only thing I could think of to help. Adding more space magick to the situation might just make it worse though.

Looking at the thread title, I'm curious about 2 things:
-If he had passed that will roll, would he have become some sort of powerful being capable of bending physics? Or would it just have lowered the bad effects?
-If Miya had failed his will roll during his 'Apotheosis', would it have resulted in him going mad with power and Steve putting him down before he wrecks the ship? Might want to research later what could happen in a worst-case scenario then.

Anyone ever seen that movie Akira? I like that movie.
((Of course you do, who doesn't right?))
Well, grate just ran right past you, trailing the sort of effects that would make physicists weep, so you're of the mind that it might be best to wait for back up. Even with the avatar, that shit looks like it's above your solo paygrade.

"May, let's leave for a bit. I'm not liking those noises."
Thomas halts the cooking and runs.

"Oh no. If this is happening....then Grate...he might...he...he's going to....HE'S GOING TO RUIN MY FELAFEL. NOOOOOO~"

Reluctantly run away with Thomas away from horrible Grate Monster.

"Steve! Is Grate's electroshock implant still working to any extent?"

((With the entirety of the Sword possibly in danger, that makes me think; aren't there hundreds of other people in different parts of the ship that we haven't seen yet? Or was Steve lying about that too?))

>All things considered, I don't think him being unconscious would actually help us, even if I could do it.

poke severed face, check for changeling mask.
Search brain and skull cavity for amps.
Inspect bits of melted tech and metal for anything recoverable/repairable.
Prepare scalp for transplantation.
Practice attaching the melted shield to my exosuits left arm.

Ask steve politely to allow me to prototype one of my auxilary hardpoints, preferably a heavy duty retractable shoulder mount.

1.It's borked
2.Borked
3. Really borked.
4. Not sure how you would do that...box of ice? Parsley for garnish?
5. EH, just consider it done.

>How about we do this when grate isn't shitting all over the laws of physics.

"so what about an anti gra..."*explosions, screaming*[glow=,2,300]"uh you dont mind if I...."[/glow]
hide behind counter with xan, greet xan

"Hello, Mr.Flesh jello"

Leave Tank! Also, Duck! And then Join the cleaning crew, and then go see AM.

Teal grates out: " Engineer Suits.... How many token if fire and acid resist?"

((If I can, I'd like to borrow Miyamoto's nanite thrower, in which case I'd use the spare tokens to buy hopefully an engie suit, (unless Radio Controlled wants to make one for me?), but if I can't get either of those, then a MK2.
And if I can have all of my cake and eat it too, then I'd like to spend the leftover tokens just buying grenades and a new 1/8kt charge.
And if I can't have the nanite thrower, I'll just buy the budget flamethrower.))

((Sorry to make it so complicated, just wanted to try and cover every base so that we could start the mission ASAP.))

((Sure, you can borrow it, but on one condition: it's namite thrower, not 'nanite'.  :P

Since we're a bit busy with the Grate situation, once you leave for your mission just put it into your action that you're borrowing that thrower from Miya, be sure to also take the spare fuel canister.
Also, you might want to quote a part of this post, in case I forget putting it in my action, so that PW knows you're allowed to take it. We can just abstract the IC part for all I care.

About that suit... I'm not sure if it's within Miya's capabilities to build complex machinery like that. I mean, it'd need a complex system of sensors and matching software to be usable, and I don't know if that's possible. Besides, I'll need to do quite some research and testing first before I try something like that, so it wouldn't be ready for your mission anyway. I think stuff like exoskeletons will still have to be bought/acquired one way or another, though Miya should be capable of then constructing some decent armor plates for it (since that's just a few plates of a uniform material, after all.))

Well, we'll say you're in the inventory, but it's a bit early to start joining the cleaning crew. We have to finish making more work for you first.

...May might be a sex icon in some places...

(Time to have May model on some photoshoots for recruitment posters? :P)

Jim winced slightly at Lyra's claws, but didn't draw away.

>No, seriously, Jim. You wanna go kill your kid for me? Because honestly, granting him death before he becomes something beyond our control is about all we can do right now.

((The battery is Black Box Tech. In some ways literally. As far as I understand, the "battery" is a sort of an array of self-contained interpreters for universe machine code, with a given "potential energy" held within for activation. The manipulators, in turn, are merely add-ons, developed to interact with that "battery" in semi-conventional ways. In a way, the battery is what does the work - the rest of the manipulator is there to incite it in a specific way in order to produce a desired result.

I don't think a proper similar example exists in conventional physics, so think of the "battery" as a cluster of super-buffed stem cells. Each cell can, given the right push and materials, become anything, any given organ or even a whole creature. The manipulator, then, is what gives it that push.

I guess Amplifiers work in a somewhat similar fashion, but somehow synergize with the mental energy of the user, so they actually hold just one "cell" that uses the user's energy to work, rather than the manipulators, that use blocks of 20 "cells" per battery, each with its own single-use charge.

Also, I believe I haven't posted an action.))

Anton frowns at Steve's words.

"Newbies as in literal newbies, or just people who still wear Mark Ones? I'd like to think that a year of HMRC service, even if it was just one mission, qualifies for something. But more to the point, the latter still applies. Anybody have any idea what went horribly right this time?"

Prepare for something unexpected happening. Red Hand to taser mode, safety off. Carefully pilot one of my drones with the upgraded OS out of the briefing room and through the corridors, seeking the source of the disturbance. Make sure to stop before the drone is in danger of being destroyed, if something obviously dangerous is visible.

That drone of yours catches a good eyeful of supergrate. You don't fly it any further because, well "Obviously dangerous"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21145 on: December 09, 2013, 12:59:52 pm »

>How about we do this when grate isn't shitting all over the laws of physics.
((In the immortal words of Elan: "Fight, fight, fight, fight the urge to say I told you so!"))

Find somewhere farther away from people. Keep under control!
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21146 on: December 09, 2013, 01:27:21 pm »

Despite my earlier foolishness, my survival instinct is quite healthy.

Xan considers. On one hand he really really wanted to know what was going on. On the other hand that was stupid.
The solution was obvious.

Form a ball of sensory apparatuses that have a protobrain in the center which stores all sensory information that it receives so I can retrieve it later. The apparatuses themselves cover sight in all forms of the electromagnetic spectrum, hearing in all ranges, all smell, all taste (including that kind that snakes use to 'smell' - basically it records everything. It also shouldn't be too large; size of a softball at most.

Extrude this thing in the AM's direction.

If you get called on to extinguish the anomaly, could you bring this thing along with you so I can see what happens? Just stick it in a corner or someplace where it won't get hit and return it to me after.
If you end up fighting whatever it is, that is.

Also creep out fellow hider.

If AM wants me to go fight Grate, scuttle off while making myself as agile as possible.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:14:03 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21147 on: December 09, 2013, 01:43:16 pm »

"How did the half-pint become a self-propelled manipulator overload? Anything you want me to do?"

Talk to Steve.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21148 on: December 09, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »

Lars continues to cower at Steve's feet.  "Yes, Supreme Lord!  You are wise in teaching us to deal with these problems ourselves.  All hail Glorious Steve, his General Jim, and the wise Saint Milno!  May Algis shield us all!"

Sing praises and prayers.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21149 on: December 09, 2013, 02:05:30 pm »

"Well, I'm feeling rather good where I am. Probably won't last."

Do the robot. Check how convincing I am. Does this body actually have specially-installed unsteadiness modules or something?
Pages: 1 ... 1408 1409 [1410] 1411 1412 ... 2101