_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1353 1354 [1355] 1356 1357 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5939149 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Mission 11: Everyone else.
« Reply #20310 on: November 28, 2013, 12:13:16 am »

Quote from: Simus>Xan
Xan, I wouldn't ask. I saw it myself, we lifted the slab off of him and he was standing there, unharmed. Next to a bloody smear. Then Morul shot him, and he continued to stand there while he fell dead. The corpse should be around here somewhere, probably in the infirmary.

I have to say, most anything we come up with would probably not inspire anything, at least initially, apart from if we continued to call ourselves the HMRC, regardless of the content of the acronym.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20311 on: November 28, 2013, 12:25:55 am »

"That's something we agree on, at the very least. Can't think of any good names if we don't know what we're supposed to be really searching for.

Oh, and personally, 'Machines and bureaucratic instruments give off an impression of power and seriousness' sounds good in theory, but to me, it sounds more like stagnation and corruption. Stability, sure, but isn't that what the UWM already stands for, more or less? Stability and order, and all they ask for it is a boot planted firmly on your neck. You really think people will be enthusiastic when all we seem to do is replace one oppressive regime with another? Even if that's not what we're trying to do, it'll sure look that way.
Again, right now, like it or not, we are a revolutionary force that tries to replace the current government with what we think will be better. Once we do that, We will become the establishment, after which the need to concern ourselves with projecting stability. We can still tell the people we are trying to build them a fairer and better place to live in the propaganda, but we are talking about the name now, not whatever goals we have for the future.

I think the first thing our name should imply is change and hope, you think it should convey stability and efficiency. I totally get where you're coming from, i really do, I just don't think we are a point yet to be giving that as our main message.

And yes, I know that a big part of the reason the UWM is what it is due to the inherent difficulties of maintaining order in such a vast domain, and that a being like Steve should have far less trouble with that. But until we know if he even wants to show himself to us, I think it's safe to assume the ordinary citizen won't like being governed by a machine. Sure, once they see how good it works out, they'll accept it, but we need to get there first. We can reveal it was a big wetware AI masterminding it all once we are securely in power and things have run smoothly for a few decades or so. Then we can actually show them that Steve is benevolent, instead of a big scary machine here to destroy humanity or something like it."

"Trouble is, isn't Hephaestus filled with people in transit, so to speak? Do the people living here even want to be here? Locals might, sure, but what about the rest? They're going to be rather difficult to convince to give up their lives for a cause that, for all intents and purposes, is only preventing them from being on their way and safe. Also, we are the HMRC, if not in name, then at least in spirit. That also poses some issues with making us look like freedom fighters on the up-and-up. A bureaucratic name is more true to the spirit of the whole enterprise, though this is mostly conjecture on my part."

"Anyhow, it is agreed. We shouldn't pick a name until Steve gives us some dirt on what it is we'll be doing with the universe."

Stacy then turns to Grate.

"Ooh. Oh dear."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20312 on: November 28, 2013, 01:07:31 am »

"How about the Meritorious Explosive Revolutionary Coalition? Or something like that? I'm not that good with names."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20313 on: November 28, 2013, 01:13:44 am »

May walks over to Jim and Grate. She slumps to the ground between them, until she's laying on the floor. She turns her head to watch people argue.

"....."

((A lot of drama over picking a name. Y'all know what this means...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20314 on: November 28, 2013, 01:23:23 am »

"Oh hey, I know! Keep the HMRC, but let it stay here. The HMRC took Hephaestus, so let's say it stayed on Hephaestus! Rename it the Hephaestus Militia of Reformed Criminals, and charge it with defending this place.

Oh hey there Grate. Nice to see you're... alright.

Ahem. So, with HMRC nominally staying here, since I did overhear a bit of Steve intending leave some administration behind, whatever it is that goes out to fight the UWM must have a different name. If we're just naming the fighting force, OGRE works - we're strong, we're feared, we're not known for being subtle or employing smart tactics (and let it stay that way), but despite that we're a pretty complex thing. You could even say layered. Like an onion.

If we're naming the resulting government though, the sound and meaning of the name are more important. Unfortunately, there's a whole lot of personal preference with things like that. The Free Worlds League? Federated Commonwealth? It all sounds equally silly and serious depending on who you ask.

How about a different idea? We're out to conquer a galaxy, and the center of the galaxy is the core. But, to abuse the English language, we already were - a Corps. Maybe to get the galaxy into proper shape and order, what we need... is a strong ARM.

It works as an acronym. We could work from there. A "Republic of Man", or "Mankind", but I can't think of what to use for the "A". Thoughts?
"
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20315 on: November 28, 2013, 01:28:04 am »

"Allied perhaps?"
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #20316 on: November 28, 2013, 01:38:17 am »

((Is it odd that when you said ARM with a link, I thought of the Amalgamation of Regional Militia from Larry Niven's Known Space books?

Though that would be appropriate, since agents of that ARM are kept in a state of paranoid schizophrenia, not unlike some members of the HMRC.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20317 on: November 28, 2013, 02:05:45 am »

"Allied perhaps?"
"Allied Republic of Mankind? That seems to work. Any other suggestions? What do you think, Steve?"
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #20318 on: November 28, 2013, 02:13:33 am »

No, no, not anything that the doctors here can bring organic life back from. He was irreversibly dead.
How are you here.

Is that guilt I smell, humanoid? Feyri said as she approached Jim--and by that, everyone else--I believe someone implanted a deceit chip where your brain should be, because Grate is alive. Right. There.

Feyri looked at Stacy.
I did not plan to reply to your message, and doubt your sincerity now.

((May's having a breakdown and her boyfriend has spontaneously got comatose. Anyone up to becoming her new BF/GF or at least cuddle companion?))
((...*sigh*))
She turned towards May and pretended not to recognize her as she pulled her up to a sitting position.

Are you ok, miss?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:17:06 am by Tiruin »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20319 on: November 28, 2013, 02:17:41 am »

I am not humanoid at the moment, female, Xan rumbles.

But I was there for when Grate died - he was irrevocably dead.
I will not trust this thing that is not Grate, and neither should you. However, I know you will anyway.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:21:56 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20320 on: November 28, 2013, 02:19:47 am »

What proof have you but the vague one-liners you presented to me? When can you say someone is irrevocably dead?

You also have an extra r in that typo...

..I saw that edit.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:24:59 am by Tiruin »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20321 on: November 28, 2013, 02:30:27 am »

He was crushed under a boulder the size of a small building. Someone like him can't recover from that.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #20322 on: November 28, 2013, 02:35:37 am »

Quote from: Simus>Feyri
Feyri, I won't say Xan is completely correct - he isn't.

But he wasn't there when we lifted the slab of rubble off of Grate. I was, and Grate did, in fact, 'die' under that slab - not much more than a bloody smear (which will still be there if you were to insist on testing to find out if it really is from him). However, he was also standing unharmed under it (don't ask me to explain it, I can't). We were all unnerved at that, and Morul shot him in the chest. He continued to stand there as he fell dead. So we are left having three Grates, one crushed under that rock, another shot with a gauss round to the chest (whose corpse is either in the infirmary or under investigation, for obvious reasons), and the one before us.

Disbelieve the others if you wish, but there is evidence to back up my version. Take it as you will, when you can review it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20323 on: November 28, 2013, 02:37:21 am »

Hole in the ground. A crack in between the falling debris. There could be space that gave him leeway. Grate, you tell him.

You have wristmail.
The tiny narrator noted a message which Feyri read.
...Impossible. Simus can't lie.
What happened to you? Feyri said, talking to Grate.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20324 on: November 28, 2013, 04:26:03 am »

Hop down out of Jim's arms, go around the Pony Predator lying on the floor, and poke Grate with my right forepaw.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 1353 1354 [1355] 1356 1357 ... 2101