_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5920698 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: The Gravy of Murder
« Reply #16050 on: August 30, 2013, 04:20:26 pm »

((Miyamoto has around...Less than half of the missions Milno has under his belt? He is still in the group, though. High-risk, high-reward missions do pop up for the newbies, like his first one. Also, our teams will not always be the same. They are not static.

Calling foul is easy. Apparently, acting is hard.))
((It's not nearly as dramatic as he is saying, I but I understand why somebody wouldn't want to jump through all the hoops.

And you can't deny that there is a definite change in atmosphere. The first seven missions in was all random, no leader, free for all.
Starting with mission eight we had squad leaders, then in
mission nine we had a group leader, in
mission 10 Jim got to pick the group, then
in mission 11 we had a completely secret side-mission, which was actually more important then everything else we did combined, and
now (missions 12/13) we have officially chosen three people, to have more secret information than everybody else, and in addition the teams got picked without even the players being aware of it happening.

I don't know about you, but I see a definite escalation.

And from the roleplaying standpoint, before now, you could be any character you want, and as capable as a potato, and still be picked on any mission. Now there's an actual competition for the missions. You can harp all you want about low-experience players getting picked, and it not being an impassable barrier (I'm not planning to give up anytime soon.) but you can't deny that there any many hoops now, and (for example: friendship and what Milno and Jim thinks of you is now important whereas before it was not), whereas before there were none, and the only difference between players were the equipment they wore.))
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:25:05 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16051 on: August 30, 2013, 04:21:24 pm »

And if I remember what I read earlier correctly those not selected for those teams will be staying on the ship on the off chance it gets attacked, so won't be getting onto other missions and even if it gets attacked will earn far less tokens.
((No, the current group has a mission, the people on the ship will also receive missions, but quite a few of them need to get debriefed first. It is what is currently happening, it is not a precedent for the future,))
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:26:17 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16052 on: August 30, 2013, 04:28:01 pm »

(( I'll try to find it in a minute but I saw it mentioned somewere that those not on teams will be defending the ship. Since it's gone outside of random teams now we'll end up with 1 of 2 things happening.

Either newer players will as I think get left to rot on the ship with minor missions at best and no hope of ever catching up. Or I'm wrong we'll get bigger missions and it'll be 10 porely equipped players tossed into a mission designed for older players so most of them will wind up dead because nobody who had the skill and equipment for it was in the team since they all ended up on the super secret teams.

Either way new players are getting the short end of the stick, or we'll get a long series of crappy minor missions that pay so little we'll never have a hope of catching up.))
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16053 on: August 30, 2013, 04:29:31 pm »

A question for Piecewise: How would mission 11 be different if Faith did not volunteer at the last moment? Or if it did actually turn out to be all-newbie.

Also, still waiting for full logs/PM's from Faiths adventures and from the Secret Briefing.

And if I remember what I read earlier correctly those not selected for those teams will be staying on the ship on the off chance it gets attacked, so won't be getting onto other missions and even if it gets attacked will earn far less tokens.
((No, the current group has a mission, the people on the ship will also receive missions, but quite a few of them need to get debriefed first. It is what is currently happening, it is not a precedent for the future,))
((I don't think we'll be getting in any missions before the current two is complete.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16054 on: August 30, 2013, 04:33:27 pm »

Pancaek selling stuff.
"Why yes, I might be interested in buying that flammenwerfer of yours. 2 tokens sounds fair?"

How long have we got to prepare?
"Several days [turns] at the very least. For the people assigned to a mission, use this time as good as you can, cause we'll probably need it."

People asking what those left behind will be doing.
"While i really hope it won't come to that, there is a substantial chance the Sword itself could come under attack. In that case you will be called upon to defend yourself and fight for your dear lives. So you better get prepared, too. Don't start flippin' over tables to form barricades just yet though, but still, get ready."

@Miyamoto:"On the tactical side of things though, I do have a few questions.  What kind of resistance are we expecting, many light units, few heavy units, many heavy units? What's the terrain gonna be, open, closed, a combination? Are we going in guns blazing or do we have a chance for stealth? I just want to know so that I can decide what kind of equipment I should prepare. Unless you already have an idea for what I'm supposed to do..."
"The people going with Milno should prepare for a stealth-oriented engagement. Big guns or bulky armor probably won't do you as much good as more subtle things could.
People going with Diamond Heart should prepare for heavy, direct combat. Details are still vague, but expect to do stuff like assaulting a fortified compound or urban warfare."

"Do we have any additional allies? If so, who are they?"
"As far as I know, and mind you I know next to nothing, at least for now we won't. Remember even the three of us are still footsoldiers as far as Steve is concerned, so questions regarding the bigger picture should be directed to him really."

"Yes, we do. We have Steve and all the other HMRC crews as our allies. Steve is an overly secretive bastard with much more power than you think he has, to start with."
"I agree. This little rabbit hole runs far, far deeper than any of us could comprehend. We're all just cogs in a big war machine that is gearing up as we speak."

And say we do succeed. What happens then? Building a better society? I can only speak about myself, but I am a criminal - I may not think I deserved being sent into the HMRC, but yeah, I broke laws. How many of us are here unjustly or as volunteers, and how many of us are real criminals? How many of us have workable political ideals?
"I do not know if what we're doing will turn out to be the right thing in the end. No one does. However, seeing as how the UWM can't really get any worse than it currently is, I'm willing to take my chances."

Also, I get it we're not going to be receiving the full logs right now. When? After the game is done? Because I really don't want you to lose them.
((Don't worry, we won't lose em. We will keep the PM's, so unless the forum itself borks up, it should be fine.))

People asking about tokens
"Although I cannot confirm anything right now, it seems we'll be getting some sort of 'budget' for this mission. We'll let you know more once Steve gives us some more details himself."

Whilst I'm fine with the fall of the UWM, considering they are about as corrupt as they could be, but I want to know, why now? What has changed in the equation that one of the organizations it built is now planning, and soon to be executing, revolt?
"Let's just say that the... entity that is behind all this has decided his influence has reached critical mass. Believe me, this has been in the works long before you or I, or anyone in here, was born."

Peeps worrying that they won't get to play again
((While I'm not going to speak on PW's behalf, I'm pretty sure he won't allow such a situation to arise. Remember, ER is moving out of its initial 'do missions to gather interesting crap, earn tokens, die in a trench' to 'be a part of rebellion, fight for something important, die in a trench'. This is the first event of the 'new' ER, so things might still change. And even so, the reason mostly veterans got chosen is because this looks to be one hell of a tough mission, so it's only logical to try and maximize our chances. If we do indeed get to keep picking people, i promise you I'll try to give the newer players a chance to prove themselves. We'll need fresh blood to replace the inevitable losses anyway, so it would be suicide in the long run not to give you guys a chance.))
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:44:27 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16055 on: August 30, 2013, 04:36:08 pm »

Go get my leg fixed. Try to wheedle a synth flesh leg out of the doc.
Go practice amp stuff in VR.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16056 on: August 30, 2013, 04:37:57 pm »

(( I'll try to find it in a minute but I saw it mentioned somewere that those not on teams will be defending the ship. Since it's gone outside of random teams now we'll end up with 1 of 2 things happening.

Either newer players will as I think get left to rot on the ship with minor missions at best and no hope of ever catching up. Or I'm wrong we'll get bigger missions and it'll be 10 porely equipped players tossed into a mission designed for older players so most of them will wind up dead because nobody who had the skill and equipment for it was in the team since they all ended up on the super secret teams.

Either way new players are getting the short end of the stick, or we'll get a long series of crappy minor missions that pay so little we'll never have a hope of catching up.))
((Look man, you don't have to play if you don't want to play.

But going on this doom and gloom tirade about how there's three hand-picked teams going on a special operation while everyone else remains on ship, and therefore that's how it will always be forever and ever, is just depressing and weird. Nobody said that, nobody implied that, and it'd be a really weird way to run the game unless it was on its last few missions anyway.

In short, I think you're reading waaaaaaay too much into not being selected for dodgeball this one time.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16057 on: August 30, 2013, 04:39:54 pm »

((All missions pay equally, except this one that took 2 other missions to complete, so we get paid extra. You get 5 tokens per mission, plus tokens for stuff you bring back and not being completely useless. If you don't squat around on the ship and actually participate in missions, you will be able to get yourself brought up to par pretty quick. And there are always equalizers - the Doctor likes experimenting, the Armory Master provides basic training, and Nyars sells mysterious boxes of experimental doom. Plus you get to Tinker and come up with ways of being useful.

A completely useless character that remains completely useless, will remain completely useless. It's your own job as the player to make him useful.

Also, a question to piecewise. Considering we've been stuck on the planetoid for more or less a whole year, do the participants of mission 9b get some minor skill or stat increases, according to what they've been doing? Or will you just assign extra points and hope we roleplay it? :P))

Peeps worrying that they won't get to play again
((While I'm not going to speak on PW's behalf, I'm pretty sure he won't allow such a situation to arise. Remember, Er is moving out of its initial 'do missions because we have to gather interesting crap, earn tokens, die in a trench' to 'be a part of rebellion, fight for something important, die in a trench'. This is the first event of the 'new' ER, so things might still change. And even so, the reason mostly veterans got chosen is because this looks to be one hell of a tough mission, so it's only logical to try and maximize our chances. If we do indeed get to keep picking people, i promise you I'll try to give the newer players a chance to prove themselves. We'll need fresh blood to replace the inevitable losses anyway, so it would be suicide in the long run not to give you guys a chance.))
((Indeed. Seriously, has nobody ever played UFO or XCOM around here? Sure, you have your team of trained veterans that get to do the toughest missions, but unless you actually send your rookies along with them, or to smaller crash sites and less hectic engagements, you will eventually start losing qualified manpower when you need it most.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16058 on: August 30, 2013, 04:41:11 pm »

"Yeah, two tokens sounds pretty fair, unless flynt wants to offer more?"

((also, stealth team, yikes. I was actually about to get myself put into a standard robot body. I'm not sure that's all that great for stealth.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16059 on: August 30, 2013, 04:42:51 pm »

Also, a question to piecewise. Considering we've been stuck on the planetoid for more or less a whole year, do the participants of mission 9b get some minor skill or stat increases, according to what they've been doing? Or will you just assign extra points and hope we roleplay it? :P))
((YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!!!

Also, to all people replying to Patrick. I believe we've made our point, and he's made his. It was a legitimate point and a legitimate concern. But it's been made, and now we should cease bickering about it.))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16060 on: August 30, 2013, 04:46:30 pm »

(( By the time new players are actually being chosen for those super hard missions they'll just be a case of watch team leader do everything then go home but what the hell may as well waste some time.
The point I'm trying to make is it's completely unfair to the newest players to suddenly not place them onto the next missions automatically. Hell most of the reason I joint was because I thought I'd get into a mission pretty quickly since I like sink or swim moments. Not end up sitting on the ship for months while people just coming back from missions go out again.

But yes point made, newer players just have to accept it.))

Go visit the doctor and ask him to genetically enhance my body in every possible way to make me far superior to a human. Then go spend all 5 tokes on a box of randomness hoping for some super special armor or exotic weapons.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:54:10 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16061 on: August 30, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »

...The point I'm trying to make is it's completely unfair to the newest players to suddenly not place them onto the next missions automatically...
((So, you would rather face certain death against enemies so tough that some of our veterans may as well not come back from this mission, armed with naught but your MkI suit and whatever gear you can buy for 5 tokens, than wait it out, train, and get onto an easier mission? The point is legitimate in its own way, but there is "equal opportunity employment" and there is "sending rats to the meatgrinder". It isn't anything to be seriously upset about. ^_^))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16062 on: August 30, 2013, 04:55:29 pm »

@Pancaek:"Nah, I'm gonna wait for my briefing to decide what equipment I'm gonna take."

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16063 on: August 30, 2013, 04:56:05 pm »

(( I like certain death, it makes it all the more impressive when somehow you walk back in carrying the oh so mighty veterans head slung over your shoulder doing your best to look like a boss and hide the piss trails on the legs of your trousers.

It's worked for me before, until the next mission where I got both my legs cut off and was fed to a giant pig. But it chocked to death eating me so I claim a moral victory on that 1. ))
Caine's law.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16064 on: August 30, 2013, 04:56:57 pm »

((Shall I pass out the 'EQUAL OPPORTUNITY MEATGRINDER' signs?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 ... 2101