_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5922089 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: The Gravy of Murder
« Reply #15765 on: August 27, 2013, 09:19:35 pm »

(( I'm in trouble, I'm locked in a room full of Electric floor pannels, I can't get to my pod. ))

Those who can't are carried, or in the case of those trapped in the clutches of the doctor, gassed and then dragged to a pod.

((Don't think too hard about how gassing you worked if you're full robot.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15766 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:06 pm »

(( I'm in trouble, I'm locked in a room full of Electric floor pannels, I can't get to my pod. ))

Those who can't are carried, or in the case of those trapped in the clutches of the doctor, gassed and then dragged to a pod.

((Probably just turned ALL the floor panels on then dragged him to the pods while he was still smoking))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15767 on: August 27, 2013, 09:43:13 pm »

((Usually, the way it works in these situations, is that you're in an alternative reality, and don't have to worry about anything happening on the outside. Continue your simulation as if nothing happened.))

((I think a character like that would be interesting, but not necessarily realistic. Only someone prone to mental illness would behave like that or someone who find no other pleasure in life except for the pleasures of the flesh. People prove they can live with disabilities every day. The only thing that matters is how determined to live you are. And that's what the robot bodies represent, I think. The drive many living things have to survive for as long as possible, no matter the cost.

And really, how much do those senses get used in a flesh body? Food and drink is crap. The only smells you have are sanitizers, blood and worst things. The only touch you can find is in the embrace of your comrades, if they're sane enough and manage to survive long enough. Perhaps one could become so afraid of the pain and suffering he sees being inflicted on the others around him that he begins wishing he would loose his senses, wishing he would loose the burdens of the flesh. So he pumps himself full of anesthetic and commits suicide, making sure his body is destroyed in the process but his mind remains intact.

To be in the HMRC and not kill yourself, you have to be either crazy, a fool or determined to survive.))
((First of all, Pancaek is pretty mentally unstable as a character, so yes, he fits the bill.

As for the other stuff, people deal with disabilities all the time, but not with all the disabilities. Some, like Rabies, are still uncurable. Some disabilities are only dealt with by a vast minority of afflicted. As for the idea that it would only be someone who finds "no other pleasure in life except for the pleasures of the flesh," I will ask you if you actually are aware of how much we take from the "pleasures of the flesh". First of all, a very significant part of what we do is based directly on those "pleasures". But a lot of it we also take for granted. Or use it to stabilize ourselves, to give ourselves foundation, to direct ourselves. Even somebody who lives like a complete Spartan depends on these things.

I don't know of a single real world example of disability that removes as much from a normal human as what a robot body does. Not perhaps in the literal sense, (cancer, alzheimer, etc) but in the sense of completely taking away what a human being perceives as a reality, and replacing it with something else.
The closest example I can find are the 60s stasis tanks, where a man was to be suspended for hours, without feeling the world around him. The minds of those testes usually began to wander, leading to hallucinations. And yes, people who spent a lot of time there displayed certain signs of losing the connection with reality. And those people after being suspended for several hours, then got out of those stasis tanks and ate, went home, etc. Imagine being suspended in such a stasis tank for an unlimited amount of time and having to deal with the real world at the same time.

As for "how much do those senses get used in a flesh body?" I would like to point out that we have unlimited alcohol, smokes, TV, food, (which tastes fine if you've been eating it forever) exotic animals and beings, procrastination, VR Simulations, VR Simulations with senses, and a knowledge about a lot of stuff that is otherwise forbidden for the general public to even think about. I don't know about you, but I'd kill for that. The idea that HMRC is some kind of hell on earth is frankly overrated, even it's casualty rates are not that bad.))

((It's the little things. You realize that you don't feel air currents on your face, or smell the chemical smell of the latrines or whatever they have onboard. With no metabolism, you have that much less to do. Waking and dreaming are that much less distinct. On its own, it won't cause insanity, but in a fragile person or on top of other factors, it could push them over the edge. And the HMRC has plenty of people close to the edge...))
((The thing is, since no real-world studies have been done on this kind of thing, we don't know if it would cause insanity on it's own. I would cautiously lean towards the idea that yes, it would. But once again, we really don't know.))

But really, if you want to actually roleplay a realistic human beings reaction to a robot body, you have my full applause. Because nobody else has done it so far. (Except Jim, but he was more concerned with being a clone than a robot.)

(I'm going to take that as a compliment and thank you for it. It'll be either the second or third I've gotten for Jim. ^^^)
((You're welcome.))
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:49:18 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15768 on: August 27, 2013, 10:09:38 pm »

((By "on its own," are you including a body of knowledge on what happens and how to prevent it, along with the will and way to act on it?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15769 on: August 27, 2013, 11:47:10 pm »

Wonder how the mission went. Get podded.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15770 on: August 28, 2013, 01:23:06 am »

(( The mission went terribly, but somehow we still won? I'm sure someone will tell us how in debrief :P
And you have been Nyars'd. So, mission accomplished, welcome to the pods XD ))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15771 on: August 28, 2013, 03:12:09 am »

(( The mission went terribly, but somehow we still won? I'm sure someone will tell us how in debrief :P
((Shh.... And, well, the situation was stabilized. Violently.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15772 on: August 28, 2013, 03:19:22 am »

((Now, I wouldn't say that. Clearly, we weren't there to just keep the peace, as evidenced by whatever Faith did that blew up the upper levels of the palace. I presume the Radiant One had an object or two of interest, being the Radiant One and all.

I myself would say that the mission was dealt with quite efficiently - only one casualty and we were done in less than 24 hours. It's all in how you choose to spin it.))

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15773 on: August 28, 2013, 04:24:39 am »

((Now, I wouldn't say that. Clearly, we weren't there to just keep the peace, as evidenced by whatever Faith did that blew up the upper levels of the palace. I presume the Radiant One had an object or two of interest, being the Radiant One and all.

I myself would say that the mission was dealt with quite efficiently - only one casualty and we were done in less than 24 hours. It's all in how you choose to spin it.))

(( Fair enough. As I said in thread, I think it was supposed to go on a little longer before shit hit the fan, as I'm reasonably sure Faith was supposed to have time to recruit others into the behind the scenes goal, which didn't happen :P
We'll see at the debriefing exactly what went down. Well, maybe not exactly, but at least a rough summary. ))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15774 on: August 28, 2013, 04:31:29 am »

((@Thearpox: I disagree.))

((Would be fun if Faith never told anyone what happened. That would drive everyone mad.))

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15775 on: August 28, 2013, 04:43:47 am »

((Would be fun if Faith never told anyone what happened. That would drive everyone mad.))

(( I'm not sure if it would drive me mad, persay, but I would certainly spend the next half a mission concocting increasingly preposterous theories as to what happened in there. ))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15776 on: August 28, 2013, 05:30:41 am »

(( I'm not sure if it would drive me mad, persay, but I would certainly spend the next half a mission concocting increasingly preposterous theories as to what happened in there. ))
((Judging by what little i remember of mission 10's backstory and the hallelujah screaming synth-flesh berserker at the end the only logical conclusion is... The creatures that created erik had taken over the planet.

Or my real theory that steve was trying to use the populations lack of contact with the radiant one to his advantage and intended to place faith and her synth-flesh visage upon the throne under the guise of the radiant one and leave her there until he could replace her with an identical synthflesh puppetmaster.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15777 on: August 28, 2013, 07:32:31 am »

((Judging by what little i remember of mission 10's backstory and the hallelujah screaming synth-flesh berserker at the end the only logical conclusion is... The creatures that created erik had taken over the planet.

Or my real theory that steve was trying to use the populations lack of contact with the radiant one to his advantage and intended to place faith and her synth-flesh visage upon the throne under the guise of the radiant one and leave her there until he could replace her with an identical synthflesh puppetmaster.))
((Yes, yes... spin ever wilder theories in the face of complete silence. :3))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15778 on: August 28, 2013, 07:34:55 am »

((Yes, yes... spin ever wilder theories in the face of complete silence. :3))
((Someone who cares IC, disable most of Faith's body and demand she tell you!))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15779 on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:54 pm »

((By "on its own," are you including a body of knowledge on what happens and how to prevent it, along with the will and way to act on it?))
((I assumed that I was using the same definition as you were.))

((It's the little things. You realize that you don't feel air currents on your face, or smell the chemical smell of the latrines or whatever they have onboard. With no metabolism, you have that much less to do. Waking and dreaming are that much less distinct. On its own, it won't cause insanity, but in a fragile person or on top of other factors, it could push them over the edge. And the HMRC has plenty of people close to the edge...))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 2101