_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5921532 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: The Gravy of Murder
« Reply #15750 on: August 27, 2013, 06:06:19 pm »

((It's worth a shot to take this moment to ask what a standard robo-body looks like and what the downsides are. Can't blame a guy for trying, right?))
((Like Geth from Mass Effect. But I think without the lights.

As for downsides, you shall never feel the touch of another human being. It will start out alright, but gradually, you will become more and more uneasy as your brain begins to understand that the most important of your senses were taken away. You will never feel the taste of food. The breath of wind. Sex. Can a human being possibly live with that? For how long?

You will slowly become more and more distant from reality, for touch is most important thing that allows us to separate dreams from reality. How do you know you are not dreaming? How do you know these people are really speaking to you, and not to your imagination? You cannot understand them. Their movements seem alien to you. You cannot feel them. You cannot feel them.

And when someone annoys you, when you wish somebody dead, as every human being does from time to time, you will imagine it in your mind. You will simply imagine it, but you won't feel the blood on your hands, your ears will not hurt from their screams, your eyes will not shed tears. And when you realize what you have done, will you believe it? Or was it a dream? What separates a dream from reality? Touch, smell, taste. But for you, there will be no separation.

You will be driven to madness, not knowing what is a dream and what is a reality. Schizophrenia, psychosis, a simple denial of reality. The names don't matter. You will be pursued by the ghosts of those you have killed, and by the ghosts of those you have not. You will talk to the dead, and turn away from the living thinking they are dead. In the end, you will probably kill yourself. Commit suicide. Many times. First in your dreams. But then finally, in the reality.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15751 on: August 27, 2013, 06:09:47 pm »

((It's worth a shot to take this moment to ask what a standard robo-body looks like and what the downsides are. Can't blame a guy for trying, right?))

As for downsides, you shall never feel the touch of another human being. It will start out alright, but gradually, you will become more and more uneasy as your brain begins to understand that the most important of your senses were taken away. You will never feel the taste of food. The breath of wind. Sex. Can a human being possibly live with that? For how long?

You will slowly become more and more distant from reality, for touch is most important thing that allows us to separate dreams from reality. How do you know you are not dreaming? How do you know these people are really speaking to you, and not to your imagination? You cannot understand them. Their movements seem alien to you. You cannot feel them. You cannot feel them.

And when someone annoys you, when you wish somebody dead, as every human being does from time to time, you will imagine it in your mind. You will simply imagine it, but you won't feel the blood on your hands, your ears will not hurt from their screams, your eyes will not shed tears. And when you realize what you have done, will you believe it? Or was it a dream? What separates a dream from reality? Touch, smell, taste. But for you, there will be no separation.

You will be driven to madness, not knowing what is a dream and what is a reality. Schizophrenia, psychosis, a simple denial of reality. The names don't matter. You will be pursued by the ghosts of those you have killed, and by the ghosts of those you have not. You will talk to the dead, and turn away from the living thinking they are dead. In the end, you will probably kill yourself. Commit suicide. Many times. First in your dreams. But then finally, in the reality.))

((On the other hand, you can get laser-chainsaw on your arms and/or genitalia. So it's probably worth it.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15752 on: August 27, 2013, 06:11:19 pm »

((On the other hand, you can get laser-chainsaw on your arms and/or genitalia. So it's probably worth it.))
((Exactly. And you don't bleed. I don't see why you possibly wouldn't do it.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15753 on: August 27, 2013, 06:17:05 pm »

Or you know... you could get a civilian model, im pretty sure piecewise said those ones had artificial pain sensors.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15754 on: August 27, 2013, 06:17:59 pm »

((Why would you even want the latter? One would think that a decently-sized hammer drill would be more fitting, no?))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: August 27, 2013, 06:19:53 pm »

((Why would you even want the latter? One would think that a decently-sized hammer drill would be more fitting, no?))
((Didn't somebody have a really large pneumatic drill on one mission? And were kind of always looking for things to use it on, but there just wasn't that much call for it?))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15756 on: August 27, 2013, 06:27:15 pm »

-snip-

((well, when you put it that wa-))

((Well shit, Pan isn't really psychologically all there to begin with, and he does have a history of almost bleeding to death. decisions, decisions))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15757 on: August 27, 2013, 06:47:09 pm »

((You can always plug into the VR's neural interface and touch things there.))
If you know what I mean *wink wink nudge nudge*

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: August 27, 2013, 07:46:42 pm »

((You can always plug into the VR's neural interface and touch things there.))
If you know what I mean *wink wink nudge nudge*
((That even !!better!!. The VR world is real, the real world is not. Really, I don't see a way how switching a human being's perceptions of virtual and real could possibly go wrong.))

-snip-

((well, when you put it that wa-))

((Well shit, Pan isn't really psychologically all there to begin with, and he does have a history of almost bleeding to death. decisions, decisions))
((I take it you enjoyed my writing? :P

But really, if you want to actually roleplay a realistic human beings reaction to a robot body, you have my full applause. Because nobody else has done it so far. (Except Jim, but he was more concerned with being a clone than a robot.) Not that I would want you to lose your character because of that, not at all. I probably actually like Pan more as a human than I would him as a robot.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15759 on: August 27, 2013, 08:48:23 pm »

((Well, PW did say at some point that 10-mission convicts who leave get to keep their toys*.  Per him, the cash you could get for selling a full-synthflesh body would be enough to both regrow your old body and then set yourself up for life.

*I'm not sure about space magic calculators, nuclear bombs, and extremely heavy weaponry.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15760 on: August 27, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »

((I think a character like that would be interesting, but not necessarily realistic. Only someone prone to mental illness would behave like that or someone who find no other pleasure in life except for the pleasures of the flesh. People prove they can live with disabilities every day. The only thing that matters is how determined to live you are. And that's what the robot bodies represent, I think. The drive many living things have to survive for as long as possible, no matter the cost.

And really, how much do those senses get used in a flesh body? Food and drink is crap. The only smells you have are sanitizers, blood and worst things. The only touch you can find is in the embrace of your comrades, if they're sane enough and manage to survive long enough. Perhaps one could become so afraid of the pain and suffering he sees being inflicted on the others around him that he begins wishing he would loose his senses, wishing he would loose the burdens of the flesh. So he pumps himself full of anesthetic and commits suicide, making sure his body is destroyed in the process but his mind remains intact.

To be in the HMRC and not kill yourself, you have to be either crazy, a fool or determined to survive.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15761 on: August 27, 2013, 09:11:36 pm »

((It's the little things. You realize that you don't feel air currents on your face, or smell the chemical smell of the latrines or whatever they have onboard. With no metabolism, you have that much less to do. Waking and dreaming are that much less distinct. On its own, it won't cause insanity, but in a fragile person or on top of other factors, it could push them over the edge. And the HMRC has plenty of people close to the edge...))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15762 on: August 27, 2013, 09:12:27 pm »

((Yeah... i decided about 1/4 of the way through mission 9 that the first thing i was gonna do when i got back is have the doctor transfer me into a robot body and stick my real body on ice until i complete 10 missions or i die trying.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15763 on: August 27, 2013, 09:12:50 pm »

(( I'm in trouble, I'm locked in a room full of Electric floor pannels, I can't get to my pod. ))
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15764 on: August 27, 2013, 09:13:41 pm »

But really, if you want to actually roleplay a realistic human beings reaction to a robot body, you have my full applause. Because nobody else has done it so far. (Except Jim, but he was more concerned with being a clone than a robot.)

(I'm going to take that as a compliment and thank you for it. It'll be either the second or third I've gotten for Jim. ^^^)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 2101