_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5932998 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Celebrating one year of Space Based Idiocy
« Reply #14670 on: June 08, 2013, 11:20:17 am »

Go ride past the houses and barns while lightning them on fire with the MFM.

Ahems.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: June 08, 2013, 11:37:58 am »

crawl to Feyri, staying low in the wash, attempt to provide medical aid as best I can.
bandage the wound with whatever cloth I can find, probably my own rags, then make a splint out of a spare piece of wood and some additional cloth, and use it on the wounded limb. do not attempt to remove the bullet. do not amputate anything for any reason. do not use a tourniquet.

EDIT: rememberd how PW handles these things
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:14:02 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: June 08, 2013, 03:32:00 pm »

Butterfly Effect, (Anybody has a better name for this? I hate that term.)
((Sensitive dependence on initial conditions is the technical term.))
((Huh. I never heard that before.))

((If one were to take the Butterfly example, the flap of the wings is a part of the initial conditions; one set of conditions leads to a hurricane while the other set of conditions doesn't. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events.))
((Wait, it's not a reference to A Sound of Thunder? Or was ASoT a reference to it instead? I am be confused.))
((Other way around--the original example was the butterfly in China causing a storm across the Pacific.))

((That could have been funny.))

-----

"That was dumb."

Go back into the game and look for Ms. Feyri.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: June 08, 2013, 10:50:43 pm »

Trying desperately to get the dust out of his eyes, Charles tries to find any locations with direct line of sight to where Feyri was shot but without direct line of sight the broken window and the doorway that exploded.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:04:11 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: June 09, 2013, 12:01:37 pm »

((Wait, it's not a reference to A Sound of Thunder? Or was ASoT a reference to it instead? I am be confused.))
((Other way around--the original example was the butterfly in China causing a storm across the Pacific.))
((Actually, I looked it up. ASoT did it first, at least with a butterfly:
Quote from: Wikipedia
In 1898,[1] Jacques Hadamard noted general divergence of trajectories in spaces of negative curvature. Pierre Duhem discussed the possible general significance of this in 1908.[1] The idea that one butterfly could eventually have a far-reaching ripple effect on subsequent historic events first appears in "A Sound of Thunder", a 1952 short story by Ray Bradbury about time travel (see Literature and print here).
^_^))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: June 09, 2013, 07:19:40 pm »

Attempt to assess wounds, and not cry out in pain. Look around for any openings to where I'd guess the shooter was, or any other paths leading from around this place at where I guess the shooter's rear is.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: June 09, 2013, 07:55:29 pm »

In 1898,[1] Jacques Hadamard noted general divergence of trajectories in spaces of negative curvature. Pierre Duhem discussed the possible general significance of this in 1908.[1] The idea that one butterfly could eventually have a far-reaching ripple effect on subsequent historic events first appears in "A Sound of Thunder", a 1952 short story by Ray Bradbury about time travel (see Literature and print here).
^_^))
((I'm not sure of any way to find out when someone first used that Butterfly-In-China thing, so...meh.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: June 09, 2013, 09:00:23 pm »

^_^))
((I'm not sure of any way to find out when someone first used that Butterfly-In-China thing, so...meh.))
((That's in the rest of the Wiki article, actually.
In 1961, Lorenz was using a numerical computer model to rerun a weather prediction, when, as a shortcut on a number in the sequence, he entered the decimal 0.506 instead of entering the full 0.506127. The result was a completely different weather scenario.[2] In 1963 Lorenz published a theoretical study of this effect in a well-known paper called Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow.[3] Elsewhere he said[citation needed] that "One meteorologist remarked that if the theory were correct, one flap of a seagull's wings could change the course of weather forever." Following suggestions from colleagues, in later speeches and papers Lorenz used the more poetic butterfly. According to Lorenz, when he failed to provide a title for a talk he was to present at the 139th meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1972, Philip Merilees concocted Does the flap of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas? as a title. Although a butterfly flapping its wings has remained constant in the expression of this concept, the location of the butterfly, the consequences, and the location of the consequences have varied widely.[4]

ASoT did it with a butterfly first, although the term "butterfly effect" was likely popularized with the weather research.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:24 pm »

Interesting idea. I'll add it to the list of stuff to look into after I'm done with the three systems I'm currently creating.

((Three?  ER, Perplexicon, ??))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: June 10, 2013, 03:01:37 am »

Interesting idea. I'll add it to the list of stuff to look into after I'm done with the three systems I'm currently creating.
((Well actually that would be ?? , ?? , ?? due to "creating" specifically, at least I think))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: June 10, 2013, 03:39:52 am »

((Question for pw: I think you mentioned new stuff for the armory, any sort of eta on that? And if you do update it, could you be so kind to also add the monosword to it? I'd like to compare it to the tesla sabre in terms of cost and stat requirements. No need to add flavortext or anything, just cost and stats.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14681 on: June 10, 2013, 05:23:22 am »

((Well actually that would be ?? , ?? , ?? due to "creating" specifically, at least I think))
I'm secretly hoping one of them is this:
((That's tomorrow.))
((Depends on your timezone. And the time the apocalypse happens.))
((I predict mass hysteria with a chance of Stephen hawking ascending to become Skynet and leading a cyborg revolution using those of us who have been selected to get dormant nanomachines put in us via our last injection of any kind. And the occasional cyborg zombie, so as to not leave out Sagan, Einstein, Newton, and some others.))
((We should make an rtd about this. Or the end of the world in general.))
An RTD about the end of the world eh? Sounds like something I could make.
Because who can say no to Stephen Hawking X Skynet?

Edit: Did I use the X thing correctly?

Edit2: @Below: Yes, a nurse told Stacy that it's based on recovered artifacts. I think it was from the Samsonite Abyss? I'm not sure. More likely to be from the info recovered from the robot testing dome.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:05:15 am by Parisbre56 »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: June 10, 2013, 05:42:29 am »

((Is the new weapon based off of recovered specimens?))
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:44:33 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14683 on: June 10, 2013, 11:41:33 am »

"Well, wickedly awesome is when you see something, and the only thing you can come up with is... whoa. As in, something really surprising, impressive and so on. Anything at all, just particular. Preferably something that influenced you personally."

Keep askin'.

>I'm Afraid the only thing that qualifies for that is a bit beyond your security clearance.

Go ride past the houses and barns while lightning them on fire with the MFM.

Ahems.
You gallop past the homes, throwing psychic sparks into them as you ride. They go up like tinderboxes.

"You people really should consider lining your houses in asbestos or something." You say, glancing over your shoulder at the girl and the houses burning behind her.

crawl to Feyri, staying low in the wash, attempt to provide medical aid as best I can.
bandage the wound with whatever cloth I can find, probably my own rags, then make a splint out of a spare piece of wood and some additional cloth, and use it on the wounded limb. do not attempt to remove the bullet. do not amputate anything for any reason. do not use a tourniquet.

You commando crawl over to feyri and use a bit of debris to make the best splint you can. You're not sure how well it will hold, but it's better then nothing.

Butterfly Effect, (Anybody has a better name for this? I hate that term.)
((Sensitive dependence on initial conditions is the technical term.))
((Huh. I never heard that before.))

((If one were to take the Butterfly example, the flap of the wings is a part of the initial conditions; one set of conditions leads to a hurricane while the other set of conditions doesn't. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events.))

((That could have been funny.))

-----

"That was dumb."

Go back into the game and look for Ms. Feyri.
You poof back into the game directly next to her. Helpful.

Trying desperately to get the dust out of his eyes, Charles tries to find any locations with direct line of sight to where Feyri was shot but without direct line of sight the broken window and the doorway that exploded.

Same places really. You don't think you're gonna get any more precise then a handful of home off to the right.At least you're not gonna get any more precise without new data.

Attempt to assess wounds, and not cry out in pain. Look around for any openings to where I'd guess the shooter was, or any other paths leading from around this place at where I guess the shooter's rear is.
Well, getting around to the shooter's back would require getting out of this wash without being seen. Which means either distracting the shooter or going far enough away to be out of his line of sight. After that it would be as simple as running into the neighborhood that the shooter is in and sneaking up behind him.

You're in no real condition to run, or fight for that matter, but you might be able to be a distraction.

((Three?  ER, Perplexicon, ??))
Oh, no, three new game systems. I'm always working on new stuff even if I'm not running a game of it. I'm working on three systems right now, switching back and forth.

((Question for pw: I think you mentioned new stuff for the armory, any sort of eta on that? And if you do update it, could you be so kind to also add the monosword to it? I'd like to compare it to the tesla sabre in terms of cost and stat requirements. No need to add flavortext or anything, just cost and stats.))

Soon. Probably today or tomorrow. I usually update things like that when missions end. So new thing(s) in the armory and that mission replay system showing up very soon. Probably tomorrow since today is a perplexicon day and perplexicon is a timesink.

Also, just gonna say that not every discovery goes towards  weapons. Sometimes things may have other consequences that don't show up for a while. 

I'm secretly hoping one of them is this:
((That's tomorrow.))
((Depends on your timezone. And the time the apocalypse happens.))
((I predict mass hysteria with a chance of Stephen hawking ascending to become Skynet and leading a cyborg revolution using those of us who have been selected to get dormant nanomachines put in us via our last injection of any kind. And the occasional cyborg zombie, so as to not leave out Sagan, Einstein, Newton, and some others.))
((We should make an rtd about this. Or the end of the world in general.))
An RTD about the end of the world eh? Sounds like something I could make.
Because who can say no to Stephen Hawking X Skynet?

Edit: Did I use the X thing correctly?

Edit2: @Below: Yes, a nurse told Stacy that it's based on recovered artifacts. I think it was from the Samsonite Abyss? I'm not sure. More likely to be from the info recovered from the robot testing dome.
Funny you should bring up that end of the world RTD...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zczkhf8h804rivr/or%20nigh.png

((Is the new weapon based off of recovered specimens?))
Yep.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: June 10, 2013, 11:54:08 am »

"Well, that's a bit of a downer. Still quite wonderful, though. Even though I can't really know about it, at least I know it's something. And sometimes that's quite enough for me."

Stacy thinks for a bit.

"It's one of those hyper-advanced alien races, isn't it? Or tied into the whole space-magic thing we've got going on. Or both, actually. That's why it's a secret. After all, there is no such thing as hyper-advanced aliens and you're not supposed to ask questions about the miracle of space magic, so say the Magisters. But still, one question, if I may - whatever it is, does it still exist? Or is that privileged information as well?"

"Also, how far am I on the security clearance chain from anybody even remotely allowed to know this stuff?"

The Questioning Returns.
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 2101