_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5931193 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: I told you.
« Reply #12195 on: February 23, 2013, 09:21:04 pm »

((You still didn't have any kind of plan or coordination beyond everyone deciding they should go point a gun at him, though.

Plus, you probably could have not aggroed the demon and had no problems at all for a while.))
((Let me post a couple things you did not do.

You did not request a battle map of the rec room to plan it better (correct me if I am wrong at this.)
You could have stick somebody in the air vent, say someone with a manipulator or an amp (less danger=better results.)
You did not use any cover (VR Machines, tables?), and you did not try to spread out to cause Ivan the most time trouble.
You did not put any traps on, nor any diversions, nor anything else.
You did not load up a proto-altered in the VR to try to determine the results.
Did I miss anything? Yes.

What you did do however, is anger a destructive machine of great power, when every NPC on the ship told you it was a stupid idea. Note, I did not say you did not have enough people, I said you could have planned it better.

For all that, I am completely fine and even happy with all that.  :D Bad planning is one of the features of ER after all, and a good combat practice before a mission is never bad. Worst case: you make a new character, but still take part in the mission (and play smarter). Win win for everyone!

Oh, and I just read the part where someone asked the Labs if it is possible to cure Ivan. So much for hoping he'll be fine.))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:23:17 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: February 23, 2013, 10:40:02 pm »

((Unfortunately Ivan cannot be fixed, the only real way to nullify his condition is to introduce another one that is equally dangerous and let them interfere with each other, of course, the second condition may just constructively interfere with the first and make matters worse. I really hope that his condition is not very virulent otherwise Michael will turn into Ivan MkII.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: February 23, 2013, 10:48:38 pm »

((You still didn't have any kind of plan or coordination beyond everyone deciding they should go point a gun at him, though.

Plus, you probably could have not aggroed the demon and had no problems at all for a while.))
((Let me post a couple things you did not do.

You did not request a battle map of the rec room to plan it better (correct me if I am wrong at this.)
You could have stick somebody in the air vent, say someone with a manipulator or an amp (less danger=better results.)
You did not use any cover (VR Machines, tables?), and you did not try to spread out to cause Ivan the most time trouble.
You did not put any traps on, nor any diversions, nor anything else.
You did not load up a proto-altered in the VR to try to determine the results.
Did I miss anything? Yes.

What you did do however, is anger a destructive machine of great power, when every NPC on the ship told you it was a stupid idea. Note, I did not say you did not have enough people, I said you could have planned it better.

For all that, I am completely fine and even happy with all that.  :D Bad planning is one of the features of ER after all, and a good combat practice before a mission is never bad. Worst case: you make a new character, but still take part in the mission (and play smarter). Win win for everyone!

Oh, and I just read the part where someone asked the Labs if it is possible to cure Ivan. So much for hoping he'll be fine.))
((Yeah, I realize that we never tried to plan. One of us just took a shot and the rest followed. We probably should have planned, though.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: February 23, 2013, 10:55:19 pm »

((On the battlefield, plans do not survive an encounter with the enemy. In the HMRC, plans seem to not survive even their inception. :P

To be completely fair, there isn't a lot we could have done tactics-wise. We had two mass murder manipulators on the job, a guy attempting to crit Ivan from suicidally close range while he was docile, and me shooting fancy lightning in hopes for a crit on his nervous system, all with at least a turn's worth of preparing. If we didn't mostly roll low, the initial round could have ended quite differently - though perhaps not for the "suicidally close range" guy. :P))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: February 23, 2013, 11:01:28 pm »

((Hey. To be fair, I DID try diplomacy first ya know.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12200 on: February 23, 2013, 11:05:58 pm »

((On the battlefield, plans do not survive an encounter with the enemy. In the HMRC, plans seem to not survive even their inception. :P

To be completely fair, there isn't a lot we could have done tactics-wise. We had two mass murder manipulators on the job, a guy attempting to crit Ivan from suicidally close range while he was docile, and me shooting fancy lightning in hopes for a crit on his nervous system, all with at least a turn's worth of preparing. If we didn't mostly roll low, the initial round could have ended quite differently - though perhaps not for the "suicidally close range" guy. :P))
((But you weren't on the battlefield, were you? You had all the time in the world to plan, and you missed that opportunity.

And I completely agree that in the HMRC plans don't survive inception. That's not an excuse not to have one. Or be a glorifying example of how they don't.  ;D

And I believe I posted some of what you could have done in the post above. I can post more if you want.

Reply to post below: No, you were on a home ground, not on the battlefield. You knew the territory, had friendly people (both players AND NPC's) near, you controlled the initial engagement situation, and didn't lack resources (I'm referring to the VR Machines that could have helped with planning, and to the fact that you could have switched weapons with the AM, or potentially gotten) something helpful for free. Most importantly, you had time, and the choice of whether to start the battle at all. On the battlefield, a single one of those things is a luxury. Having all of them is almost unheard of.))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:18:43 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12201 on: February 23, 2013, 11:11:49 pm »

((We were with a potetially hostile being. I think that counts as a battlefield.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:25 pm »

((As your suicidally close range guy, I would like to note that so far I'm one of the two people who have actually hurt Ivan, though I did do so at he cost of a good chunk of robot lower body and a broken artificial spine.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: February 24, 2013, 01:37:05 am »

((No, the suicidally close range guy was the other guy who hurt Ivan. You were the normally suicidal "go melee against a bladed mutant whirligig" guy, and you at least had the benefit of a robot body. :) ))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: February 24, 2013, 02:33:13 am »

((No, the suicidally close range guy was the other guy who hurt Ivan. You were the normally suicidal "go melee against a bladed mutant whirligig" guy, and you at least had the benefit of a robot body. :) ))
((Oh, yeah, that guy. Come to think of it, we've been the first two to deal damage, and the first two to get torn to bits.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12205 on: February 24, 2013, 02:33:24 am »

((How about we agree that everyone is screwed and that using extreme measures with planning now is better than thinking about how we could have engaged Ivan the Demonic Cicada))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: February 24, 2013, 02:40:40 am »

((How about we agree that everyone is screwed and that using extreme measures with planning now is better than thinking about how we could have engaged Ivan the Demonic Cicada))
((Yeah, let's go with that. Anyone have ideas?))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: February 24, 2013, 02:42:45 am »

((Run.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: February 24, 2013, 02:58:33 am »

((Run.))
((Our main vectors of attack were the amp-users, since they're the only ones able to mostly bypass both Ivan's speed and his armor. In that regard, our disparate "plan of attack" was sound, just gang up on him and distract him long enough for somebody to fry him. Now that we don't seem to have any ampers handy, we need to pool firepower and blast away, hoping to wear him down before he cuts down our numbers. No point running, he's faster than everyone here.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: February 24, 2013, 03:08:14 am »

((Run.))
((Our main vectors of attack were the amp-users, since they're the only ones able to mostly bypass both Ivan's speed and his armor. In that regard, our disparate "plan of attack" was sound, just gang up on him and distract him long enough for somebody to fry him. Now that we don't seem to have any ampers handy, we need to pool firepower and blast away, hoping to wear him down before he cuts down our numbers. No point running, he's faster than everyone here.))
((I know. But it was too good an opportunity to pass up. Sorry. Good luck, and I'll stop clogging up this thread. (although if you make it to the armory or infirmary... Nah, don't reply to this. I know I won't. Anymore.)))

Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 2101