_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5921110 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Don't poke the arch-demon.
« Reply #11925 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:25 pm »

(Been here from the start, of course, although I tend to pay a little less attention to missions I'm not on and ignore almost all of the Tinker stuff. :P If you want my opinion I would go ahead and make a character to get in Mission 9 so you don't miss the boat, unless you want to mess about on-ship first. ^^^)
((Nah. Thinking about it, I actually will likely be very busy in the coming few weeks. I'll probably skip this one and hop on to the next one. Possibly. And I tried skipping tinker, but then people were weilding weird weapons of the properties of which I had no clue, weird custom armor and other things, and uncovering interesting facts about the world. Not something I can just turn away from. With the Bishops Bolo Gun for example, there was no way for me to know what it did except to read about it.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11926 on: February 15, 2013, 12:47:06 am »

((Been here from about mid-second mission (I remember missing the volunteering opportunity for the third mission quite vividly ;) ), and yeah, read all of the thread that was there before joining. Also, since then, despite lagging behind on reading the events quite a few times, always caught up when I had time. As for tinker, I suggest reading just the GM responses to tinker actions, as they tend to provide more information than the tinker actions themselves, and thus save your time.
As for active players - well, this mission roster has twenty people on it, and about ~three fifths (give or take a few) have been active in the last couple of weeks; as for the on ship thread, there are about between five (a few days ago) and ten (most recently) people here, give or take a couple. As far as the number of reader goes, I have no data, except maybe there are about one to three occasional readers (as well as about one or two people who dropped reading it) per active player, judging from my personal experience - but those are extrapolated numbers and are little more than a wild guess. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:09 am »

((People could always go to the armory and hope the AM will take care of Ivan if he gets near her.))
((Why do you think I'm inside the armory right now?  :P))
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:46:38 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11928 on: February 15, 2013, 07:12:00 am »

((didn't mission 7 take quite a long time to finish?))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: February 15, 2013, 07:29:49 am »

((didn't mission 7 take quite a long time to finish?))

((I was on that mission, and it didn't feel like it lasted really long. But it was my first mission, so I don't really have a point of reference here. Although I have to admit that we indeed kept frakking about at times, and that... Some of us did their very best to stretch the mission as much as it could be.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11930 on: February 15, 2013, 08:09:31 am »

((and a certain teammate learned the consequences of over using those tears. And Timmy was just unlucky.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11931 on: February 15, 2013, 08:17:15 am »

((I was on that mission, and it didn't feel like it lasted really long. But it was my first mission, so I don't really have a point of reference here. Although I have to admit that we indeed kept frakking about at times, and that... Some of us did their very best to stretch the mission as much as it could be.))
((To be entirely fair, the only reason it took so long was because of the Timmy's Tears in the first place - had the guy not been so resilient to cutting because of them, he'd just been torn to shreds right there and the mission could continue without delay.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: February 15, 2013, 10:24:23 am »

Isn't pain a necessary feeling? I mean, without pain I would probably destroy my body very easily. With that I would probably need a harder body, and I don't want to become a robot. I like feeling things.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: February 15, 2013, 06:47:06 pm »

Zephy calmed down a bit, "Doesn't seem like he's aggressive.... yet. Wasn't there also something up with the TV ? .."
Use the remote to turn off the TV. Stay behind my better armed teammates.
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11934 on: February 15, 2013, 11:25:23 pm »

look over both my shoulders then poke it with my flamethrower, incinerate it if some kind of mutant or alien pops out, if no alien bursts out kick the can over.

You sneak over to the can, looking around as you do. You poke the sack with your Flame thrower. It squirms lethargically. You kick the can over and the sack hits the concrete with a soft, wet thud. You hear something move near by, but you can't tell from where.

look around, listen to the intro speech from post 1, get some clothes on (if given options, single-color clothes, if lucky then dark blue), and start wandering aimlessly about the ship, familiarizing myself with where to find what and suchlike.
get out of the way of anyone moving nearby, and avoid crowded areas. (crowded == 5+ people) avoid eye contact unless directly addressed.

after running out of comfortable places to go wander back to the armory, stand in an out of the way corner and observe the various people passing through, and the items being offered.

You get yourself a nice pair of pants and a shirt, both in dark blue, and start wandering around the ship, familiarizing yourself with the parts available to you. Everything looks fairly normal, save for the exorcism/demon hunt going on in the Rec room. But you decide to ignore that bit of terrifying in favor of wandering over to the armory and perusing the weapons list. The armory master doesn't say a word to you, she just keeps reading.

"Alright, I'll do that then."

Anton saves the project, downloads a schematic of it to the wristpad, and takes off the VR machine's helmet. He squints, adjusting his eyesight back to reality, and looks around. A few people seem to be cautiously examining a... thing that climbs along the ceiling. "...мать твою.. sweet merciful crap." The appearance of the thing does not seem particularly friendly to Anton, and his pair of cheap-as-dirt little hand-lasers doesn't quite fill him with confidence. He cautiously backs out of the Rec room, trying not to turn his back on the mutant ninja cricket, and walks briskly to the Armory.

"Greetings, ma'am." he addresses the Armory Master. "Steve has suggested that I ask you for assistance in this project of mine. Or rather, with acquiring some parts for it." Anton displays the project schematics on the wristpad, and explains in brief the purpose of the device. "...and to complete it, I need a generator unit matching these parameters, as well as a means to create the spark gap and mount the whole thing on the suit's forearm. And I have only 3 token left. Or 4, if I am allowed to trade my second hand laser back for its original price. Can I get the required parts for that price?"

Anton thinks a moment, and adds "Also, there seems to be a chitinous carapaced creature with claws climbing along the ceiling of the rec room. I haven't been here long, and that kind of thing is rather disconcerting to me, so I was wondering if it's... normal around here."

Leave VR, converse with Armory Master.

((Somebody should really ask Steve to try and electrocute Ivan. If it succeeds, good. If not, we might have a double-TPK, both on ship and on mission. Win-win. :P))

"I suppose. I can't sell ya a premade generator this strong, but I could sell you a weaker one and the parts you'd need to modify it to work. Something like that plus the parts to do everything else would be 'bout 4 token. So yeah, sell back  that other hand laser and we got a deal."

You tell her about the Mutant.

"Ivan's started to lose it eh? Not surprising really.  Well, if it gets out of hand me or the Doctor will handle it. But for now it seems like a good challenge for you newbies. Builds character, puts hair on your chest and blood in your lungs."

Deciding that the gigantic demon cicada is not a threat to the non-lightfitting members of the ship, Victor walks back to the armory (he only took a few steps out of it anyway).
"What are we supposed to do about that demonic cicada?" he asks the Armory Master.

"I suppose you should shoot him if he gets dangerous. Or if you feel like being preemptive."

(( Quick, do we have any doors anywhere? I can remember at least one, leading to the back of infirmary. Perhaps we could ask the Doctor very nicely to allow us to stand behind during the fight.
Or we could try and make our own, 100% genuine wooden door - just remember that if he sniffs us doing that, he'll take that a declaration of war as clear as if we tried (and failed) to nuke him. We'll have to proceed with caution and discretion.))
Actually, I'm not sure - perhaps I could ask someone with an appropriate amp to try penetrating my mind and make me do something (hop in place, for a less dangerous example) and learn how to resist that the hard way. Or I could just get some psychoactive drugs and go reading/watching those great eldritch-horror-describing books and movies of the past - Lovecraftian series, New Lovecraftian series, Alien Space Ponies: Horrors are Reality, R'lyeh Wars IV: A New Dread, whatever else there is - even the Altered Wars documentaries, for what they are worth. And there was also... well, alright, there wasn't ever a strange painting, which could not theoretically be what made me cleave someone's throat, so it's not possible for me to try remembering and re-experiencing what didn't happen to me back then in order for a rematch. Except if I do try something like that, I won't forget to put on a straightjacket just in case.
Those damned space ponies, the scariest of them all... Just how could they get into that anomaly? Or was I mistaken about their participation in the ruination of that tower?..
Talk. Also, remember the tower from the last mission and re-evaluate the possibility of the alien ponies causing its destruction.
((A little humor goes a long way :P ))
"Well, I suppose I could put you through your paces, so to speak. Although, like I said, it won't be safe. But it will be safer then someone else trying to do it."

((I just though of doing a similar thing with Ivan by combining this weird disease thing with synthflesh and hopefully create supersynthflesh or something similar, then use it in an avatar. ))

Decide to freeze Ivan instead and once frozen take him to the doctor and tell him of my plans/ideas.

You decide to freeze Ivan and take him to the doctor.

Yep you totally decide to do that. You don't actually do it. But you decide that thats what you should do.

Continue watching Ivan and being on guard.
Continuing.

Ehndras suddenly wakes up to find himself tucked into a corner of the rec room, some sort of strange abomination overhead.

"The hell did I miss?"

(No idea where my character is since I've been afk for so long.)
You wake up in the barracks. Looks like someone mothballed you in the stasis tanks.

Send another query to the infirmary:

Quote from: Gorat 'Chin' Ivanos; to infirmary personnel
What of mw amp/manips? Head, torso; heat, cold?
More then likely he's insulated, even internally, against extreme temperatures. But if you want to do it, Heat and for the most vital systems you can hit at once.  So aim for the center of mass and make sure you make it REALLY hot.

((Yeah, Piecewise, would that be a viable way to make an ion cannon, with an automanip? And could I use programmable nanotech to create a universal plug, or better yet, is wireless energy transmission, a la Tesla, possible?))

Be ready to fight back should Ivan attack.
(Auto manips might make it possible...but it would be very expensive. Also we tend not to use Nanomachines around here, solid snake, to much room for "science is magic" silliness to take place. Wireless energy transmission...I'm pretty sure tesla never figured out how to do that. Unless you consider "Giant fucking arcs of electricity" to be wireless. Which I guess they are.)

You stand ready to die horriblyfight back.

"Oh shit. Shit shit shit shit. Guys? We are gonna need to hit him HARD. He has multiple backup organs, muscles that can lift a tank, and iridium hard skin. People with manipulators, go overboard. DO NOT MISS. If we miss, we die."

Take aim at Ivan's legs. If he makes hostile move, fire in an attempt to remove them.

Ready, stand, die, etc.

I know that pretty much everyone already said that, but a what phenomenal game! I've just finished the Mission 7 in the missions thread, and got to the debriefing for the Mission 6 in the On Ship thread. That about 1040 out of 1400 pages. Head spins when I think about how many hours I've sunk into this.

Now, a question. First, approximately how close is Mission 8 to being over? I don't want spoilers, but I would like to know if I should consider creating a character immediatelly to jump into Mission 9 (if it is), or continue catching up.  Second, how many active players are actually in the game right now? There are a lot of cheat sheets listed, but I would like to know how many people are actually using them.  And finally, how many people actually read this in it's entirety, or are catching up like me, and how many gave up or didn't even try? I know it isn't a requirement to play the game, but it's well written, and I find pretty blocks of text to be much more attractive than moving pictures.
Mission is pretty close to being over. They're getting the heck out of dodge, so beyond unforeseen problems- and those never happen around here, right?-they should be done soon.

As per active players, I'd say...maybe 25? 30 on a busy day. We've got people who show up and people who go idle and people who are back and forth, and people who are quiet because they're dead.

As per people actually reading all the way through...I'd say nowadays they're in the minority. I know our illustrious colleague Mr. Mirrsen (whose name I continuously mispronounce in my head as Morson) did recently, and probably most people who joined early did. Hard to say.

Regardless, I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed my little game from an observer standpoint. You're welcome to join whenever you'd like. Feel free to pm me any questions you have, or ask around here. We've got a great bunch of players and I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

((Been here from about mid-second mission (I remember missing the volunteering opportunity for the third mission quite vividly ;) ), and yeah, read all of the thread that was there before joining. Also, since then, despite lagging behind on reading the events quite a few times, always caught up when I had time. As for tinker, I suggest reading just the GM responses to tinker actions, as they tend to provide more information than the tinker actions themselves, and thus save your time.
As for active players - well, this mission roster has twenty people on it, and about ~three fifths (give or take a few) have been active in the last couple of weeks; as for the on ship thread, there are about between five (a few days ago) and ten (most recently) people here, give or take a couple. As far as the number of reader goes, I have no data, except maybe there are about one to three occasional readers (as well as about one or two people who dropped reading it) per active player, judging from my personal experience - but those are extrapolated numbers and are little more than a wild guess. ))
Yeah, reader numbers I have no idea. Although I would wager they're fairly good; since this game seems to have a habit of making people join the forums/break their lurking streak to start playing.

Isn't pain a necessary feeling? I mean, without pain I would probably destroy my body very easily. With that I would probably need a harder body, and I don't want to become a robot. I like feeling things.

"Feeling things. Rather silly, but fair enough." He cocks his head suddenly, as though listening to something far away. "Oh. Oh. New plan. Go to the Rec room. Fight Ivan. Good test of skill. Yes. Good test of your speed. Be careful. You might think faster, but he  moves faster. Much faster, yes."

Zephy calmed down a bit, "Doesn't seem like he's aggressive.... yet. Wasn't there also something up with the TV ? .."
Use the remote to turn off the TV. Stay behind my better armed teammates.

You turn the tv off while making sure to stay fully hidden behind your meatshields...teammates....meatshields.

By the way guys, I AM going to do another ER talk. I've got all the questions, I just haven't had time/quiet to sit down and record one. But I should have both this sunday. It's gonna be broken into roughly half hour sections for ease of listening.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11935 on: February 16, 2013, 12:11:30 am »

To hell with the squishy sack im jumping on the incapacitate ivan bandwagon

head over to the armory to buy a laser rifle and grab my batchip program.
Once im armed head over to the cower before ivan bandwagon and go with the flow.
Also upload my program to my suit if that doesnt require a roll.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11936 on: February 16, 2013, 05:03:22 am »

((I somehow think that making the first move on Ivan would be better than waiting for him to murder someone))
Continue waiting if enough people join the preemptive strike  in turn ivan into an cicada-thing Popsicle.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: February 16, 2013, 10:31:10 am »

((Wireless energy transmission is nothing fancy, just a pair of coils. In fact, it's the perfect way to make a universal plug with a fixed-output generator, because the coupling can itself act as a power transformer. All you need to do is make receiver couplers shaped to fit into battery compartments of various guns, and sell them separately of the generator pack. It's how the Heavy Modular Suit was going to supply power to its mounted guns.))

"Thank you, ma'am. That will be acceptable."

Anton accepts the deal, trading the extra hand laser and 3 token for the generator and assorted parts.

"Now, let's find ourselves a place to work." he says to himself, walking off in search of a table.

Find the nearest table or workbench (not inside the Rec room), lay the parts and the handlaser out on it, and focus. Examine the generator and see what modifications it requires. Consult the saved schematic and recall the construction of the VR prototype.

Then take a deep breath and start assembly of the first Red Hand electrolaser gauntlet.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11938 on: February 16, 2013, 10:42:44 am »

"Okay guys, I have a plan. Everybody back away slowly. And don't shoot him. Take aim, but don't shoot."

Grab a beer, and offer it to the demon.

"Alright demon. I know there is a human in there somewhere, because we aren't dead yet. Now, why don't you just come down off the ceiling, and we can talk about this. No one has to get hurt."

((Because beer solves everything. Plus I remember his kill-switch, and his mercury armor, and his panacea-ish.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11939 on: February 16, 2013, 12:23:01 pm »

Get into the correct stance with katana.
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 2101