_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5921046 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Crushing dreams and skulls.
« Reply #11880 on: February 13, 2013, 02:33:38 am »

((What I said earlier about 10 to 15 survivors? Scratch that. Two to five. Somebody get Faith's body! Or whatever's left of it by then. Those modifications could be useful later. (picking up her head, assuming it's detached, kind of goes without saying)

At this rate, this encounter will end as well as that novel did. I suppose the only right answer here is the same as there, at least by now.

@Corsair: A "path clearer" would have to be some sort of combination vector and gravity manipulator to push the atmosphere apart in front of the shot, because just burning it away with a laser won't work. Even then I'm not sure you'd be able to fire the shot through the resulting vacuum area before it collapses, and even if you do the shockwave from the collapse would be quite bad. This is not to mention you'd need a ridiculously powerful set of manipulators to clear the atmosphere from the barrel to safe impact range.
All in all, what you're trying to achieve is an impractically powerful weapon with a cost such that it'd be easier and cheaper to make a fusion instigator machinegun. Trying to fit a kind of weapon that could attack ships in orbit from a planet's surface, into a man-portable package tends to do that, I guess.

@Piecewise: Perfect. Well not perfect, but at least it's something Anton could theoretically assemble and have with him on the first mission, assuming the mission won't be to investigate where the last team disappeared to and pick up whatever remains of them. Hm, then again, can he?))

Anton, oblivious to the commotion in the rec room, continues his work.

Assemble a (VR) prototype Red Hand electrolaser gauntlet, using a 4 token generator mounted to the forearm piece, and a hand laser emitter/spark gap assembly on the back of the hand, firing along the center of the hand rather than being aligned to fingers.

Reuse the hand laser's switch mechanism, modified to allow alternately activating the laser, the arc, or both, with different hand positions. Add a simple "safety" switch that can be pushed with the other hand or just pressed against a surface, switching the whole assembly on or off to avoid accidental discharges in non-combat situations.

See how much extra material is needed besides what is already present in the generator and the hand laser. Show the design, and the required extra materials list, to Steve.

"Steve? I am sure you're still watching. I don't suppose there's a handy pile of scrap metal and electronics around that I could dig through? I need some materials to complete this assembly, and I doubt brand new stuff is free here." He pauses for a moment, thinking. "On that note, I don't think I ever saw an actual workshop here. Are there any tools available for use by us?"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:08:40 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11881 on: February 13, 2013, 03:16:12 am »

Well, actually I thought along the lines of the danger being quite real. I understand, however, that it is very, perhaps extremely dangerous to try even in the relative safety of Paracelsus' Sword. My question is: is it dangerous to the point of incompetence and foolishness, or not?
Perhaps having a backup in the form of a teammate monitoring my mind with a mind-reading amp ready to snap me out of it (likely with the use of the said amp) would reduce the danger to a more reasonable level?

Talk.

((@GM Request for clarification: How good/realistic is the sensory data provided by VRs in the basic/default mode?
Does it look and sound (completely) real? Can the user smell or taste? Is it possible to feel pain? etc.
EDIT: Also, what for is the IV system (mentioned as a part of the VR machine equipment)? As far as we know, of course.))
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:11:58 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: February 13, 2013, 06:36:48 am »

Stay with other teammates while still watching Ivan.

"Don't let your guard down."

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: February 13, 2013, 09:46:18 am »

Gorat, noticing the attention the others pay to the ceiling, looks up as well (presumably seeing Ivan).
"Ivan, be a good boy and come down... you're... you're scaring the freshly exhumed..."

Send a message to the infirmary:
Quote from: Gorat 'Chin' Ivanos; to infirmary personnel
Need quick summary on Ivan's condition. How to best subdue if possible, how to best kill if necessary.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11884 on: February 13, 2013, 10:03:20 am »

((@GM Request for clarification: How good/realistic is the sensory data provided by VRs in the basic/default mode?
Does it look and sound (completely) real? Can the user smell or taste? Is it possible to feel pain? etc. ))
((The VRs in their basic mode are just googles, gloves and some other things, so no pain or smells. However you can connect the VR directly to your brain thus providing all those stuff. I think Jim once used that.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: February 13, 2013, 11:39:08 am »

"Oh please. There is no such thing as overkill. I was planning on scaling the effects down anyway. Maybe smaller bullets too. And shut up about the demon."

Scan the Altered on the roof with the weirdvision. Check for any weakspots, and take aim at them with my laser rifle.

((The Altered is Ivan. Morul doesn't know his name. And the dude who met Victor in the vents was Cog, my last char.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11886 on: February 13, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »

Does it look and sound (completely) real? Can the user smell or taste? Is it possible to feel pain? etc. ))
((The VRs in their basic mode are just googles, gloves and some other things, so no pain or smells. However you can connect the VR directly to your brain thus providing all those stuff. I think Jim once used that.))
((Yeah, I know, hence the "basic/default mode" part. It's just that after re-reading a few pages of VR simulation combat I found the injuries to be pictured quite vividly, and that made me question the supposed absence of pain. Also, perhaps that VR helmet has some way of projecting smells to the user? Tubes plugged into nose and mouth, for example, originating at a small futuristic universal chemical lab (tiny automanip, perhaps?).

EDIT: Oh, I've found something!
You take one of the open VR machines and put on the helmet, gloves and IV cuff.  ...
(emphasis mine)
Now, I am at a loss about what that one could be used for? Supplying pain-inducing chemicals, perhaps? ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: February 13, 2013, 02:20:18 pm »

((Considering the tinker craze, I would assume its nutrients to keep you alive during extended use.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: February 13, 2013, 02:43:44 pm »

((As much as that explanation amuses and excites me, the quote actually comes from pre-tinker era. Perhaps they already had a few cases of VR obsession back then? But why not just 'cute them a little to remind that eating is healthy and required for continued 'Corps service (that is, if anyone cares about convicts taking their lives themselves instead of dying on missions, as they are supposed to)?))
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:45:35 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: February 13, 2013, 02:47:37 pm »

((Even without Tinker, one can spend quite a lot of time in Duel, Poacher, or Battle at Hexbarax. (or Hexabrax?) And besides, it's not the Matrix without some kind of thing being stuck into you. :P))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: February 13, 2013, 03:25:01 pm »

((I think it'd be out of character for them to be concerned about us poor convicts.  If we're fit enough to be slapped in a robot body and thrown out the airlock, that's good enough.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11891 on: February 13, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »

((They're not being overly concerned, just economical. Whatever the IV is composed of probably comes from the Doctor's experiment leftovers. In a way, it's cheaper than the food in the dispenser.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11892 on: February 13, 2013, 04:27:38 pm »

((The IV probably contains some sort of muscle paralytic or relaxant so you don't go jerking around and knocking stuff over during your electronic adventures. Or it contains mind control fluids. Possibly both.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: February 13, 2013, 04:31:41 pm »

((They're not being overly concerned, just economical. Whatever the IV is composed of probably comes from the Doctor's experiment leftovers. In a way, it's cheaper than the food in the dispenser.))

((Actually, those two are likely the same thing.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11894 on: February 14, 2013, 01:52:09 am »

may i hop in?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((i'm fully aware of the difficulty of roleplaying a non-talkative character, i can handle it.))
Welcome aboard. Don't poke the arch-demons.

"Ivan, are you able to talk?"

Stay on guard while I try to talk to Ivan.

((Could a manipulator accelerate subatomic particles to near lightspeed? Because of so, Ion cannons might be feasible in some manner, though it would still be complicated.

Another question:
Do most batteries connect to weapons in the same general manner, as in battery-weapon interface type? Basically, I'm asking of there's a semi-universal plug.))
Ivan chitters and continues crawling along the ceiling, punching holes in the metal with his taloned  fingers, seemingly with no effort.  He doesn't even seem to notice you.

(It could, but you'd need to be damn good with it. Or have a very good automanip. And no, we don't have universal plugs. Although  someone was talking about creating one a while ago...)

investigate trashcan
You hop down off the top of the building and carefully approach the can. The thrashing thing is a sack, a garbage bag or maybe a tarp gathered up into a makeshift bag. It's moving slowly, irregularly, making muffled noises as it does.
[intuition: 2-1]

((Would some sort of "path clearer" to create a vacuum ahead of the shot help with the whole deadly radiation thing? Also an interesting use of a magnetic manipulator is to chemically un-bond things (you rip out the electrons) and just turn things into their nucleui that are now cations and manipulating them aswell.))

Also incinerate Ivan if he does anything harful threatening or likewise

Well...he isn't yet...

Victor scans the area around him for anything that may be a hazard and readies his weapon.
"What do you mean by 'not yet'? What's going on? Why are people screaming?"
If anything displays signs of hostility towards him (such as charging at him), Victor will open fire.
You point your weapon at Ivan, ready to fire. But so far all he's doing is seriously menacing that light fixture.

((What I said earlier about 10 to 15 survivors? Scratch that. Two to five. Somebody get Faith's body! Or whatever's left of it by then. Those modifications could be useful later. (picking up her head, assuming it's detached, kind of goes without saying)

At this rate, this encounter will end as well as that novel did. I suppose the only right answer here is the same as there, at least by now.

@Corsair: A "path clearer" would have to be some sort of combination vector and gravity manipulator to push the atmosphere apart in front of the shot, because just burning it away with a laser won't work. Even then I'm not sure you'd be able to fire the shot through the resulting vacuum area before it collapses, and even if you do the shockwave from the collapse would be quite bad. This is not to mention you'd need a ridiculously powerful set of manipulators to clear the atmosphere from the barrel to safe impact range.
All in all, what you're trying to achieve is an impractically powerful weapon with a cost such that it'd be easier and cheaper to make a fusion instigator machinegun. Trying to fit a kind of weapon that could attack ships in orbit from a planet's surface, into a man-portable package tends to do that, I guess.

@Piecewise: Perfect. Well not perfect, but at least it's something Anton could theoretically assemble and have with him on the first mission, assuming the mission won't be to investigate where the last team disappeared to and pick up whatever remains of them. Hm, then again, can he?))

Anton, oblivious to the commotion in the rec room, continues his work.

Assemble a (VR) prototype Red Hand electrolaser gauntlet, using a 4 token generator mounted to the forearm piece, and a hand laser emitter/spark gap assembly on the back of the hand, firing along the center of the hand rather than being aligned to fingers.

Reuse the hand laser's switch mechanism, modified to allow alternately activating the laser, the arc, or both, with different hand positions. Add a simple "safety" switch that can be pushed with the other hand or just pressed against a surface, switching the whole assembly on or off to avoid accidental discharges in non-combat situations.

See how much extra material is needed besides what is already present in the generator and the hand laser. Show the design, and the required extra materials list, to Steve.

"Steve? I am sure you're still watching. I don't suppose there's a handy pile of scrap metal and electronics around that I could dig through? I need some materials to complete this assembly, and I doubt brand new stuff is free here." He pauses for a moment, thinking. "On that note, I don't think I ever saw an actual workshop here. Are there any tools available for use by us?"

>Well, looks like you've got the hand laser part already. So you just need a generator and a couple metal prongs. Talk to the armory master. She might sell you one a bit cheaper.

Well, actually I thought along the lines of the danger being quite real. I understand, however, that it is very, perhaps extremely dangerous to try even in the relative safety of Paracelsus' Sword. My question is: is it dangerous to the point of incompetence and foolishness, or not?
Perhaps having a backup in the form of a teammate monitoring my mind with a mind-reading amp ready to snap me out of it (likely with the use of the said amp) would reduce the danger to a more reasonable level?

Talk.

Does it look and sound (completely) real? Can the user smell or taste? Is it possible to feel pain? etc.
EDIT: Also, what for is the IV system (mentioned as a part of the VR machine equipment)? As far as we know, of course.))

Normal it's just sound and vision, although it also pumps you full of a blend of drugs that put you in what could be described as a "suggestive" state. In otherwords, it doesn't supply nerve stimulation, it just uses drugs to induce a psychosomatic sense effect .

"Depends on what you have in mind."

Stay with other teammates while still watching Ivan.

"Don't let your guard down."

You join the group of men who continue to point their guns, magic calculators and deadly remote controls at the thing that used to be Ivan crawling on the ceiling.

Gorat, noticing the attention the others pay to the ceiling, looks up as well (presumably seeing Ivan).
"Ivan, be a good boy and come down... you're... you're scaring the freshly exhumed..."

Send a message to the infirmary:
Quote from: Gorat 'Chin' Ivanos; to infirmary personnel
Need quick summary on Ivan's condition. How to best subdue if possible, how to best kill if necessary.

He's a pseudo-altered whose had months to gestate and mature. The thing you're dealing with there is a pure killing machine barely restrained by whatever human or animal vestiges it's currently following. Subdue is going to be near impossible. And kill, well, overwhelming force is the best bet. But you better be sure about it; if he lives past the first volley, you'll all be dead before you can pull the trigger again.

"Oh please. There is no such thing as overkill. I was planning on scaling the effects down anyway. Maybe smaller bullets too. And shut up about the demon."

Scan the Altered on the roof with the weirdvision. Check for any weakspots, and take aim at them with my laser rifle.

((The Altered is Ivan. Morul doesn't know his name. And the dude who met Victor in the vents was Cog, my last char.))
Your scan of the Altered is...discouraging. Beyond a remarkable number of back up organs and systems spread throughout his body, his carapace is denser then iridium and his muscles look like they could lift a battle suit. Thats not mentioning the chitin blades hidden in his body or what look like tentacles attached to those spines on his back.

Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 2101