_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5921661 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Crushing dreams and skulls.
« Reply #11805 on: February 07, 2013, 12:03:48 pm »

((I just looked at prices in the Armory, then my overall funds, then at my current VR prototype, and suddenly had a horrible, evil idea, that might net me a prototype weapon for my first mission.

Also, sketchity sketch:

edit: also, I've caught up on the mission thread now, too! ^_^

And, er... you know, pardon me if I'm wrong, but I distinctly recall the revivification time limit being five hours, not one. Either memory's playing tricks on me again, or there was a rules change I missed. >_>))
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:13:10 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: February 07, 2013, 03:29:19 pm »

Ohhh. I'm very sorry, it must be difficult for all of you. Maurice's expression turned to that of sympathy and concern.
Is there anything I can do for you, miss?

((@Sean Mirrsen Just checked it: it was stated to be five hours in the first mission, but it probably has something to do with the near-absolute-zero 'temperature' of that place. Oh, and there might be a slight variation between missions depending on how long does it take to extract the survivors and take them back to the Paracelsus's Sword in each particular case. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: February 07, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »

Ohhh. I'm very sorry, it must be difficult for all of you. Maurice's expression turned to that of sympathy and concern.

((@Sean Mirrsen Just checked it: it was stated to be five hours in the first mission, but it probably has something to do with the near-absolute-zero 'temperature' of that place. Oh, and there might be a slight variation between missions depending on how long does it take to extract the survivors and take them back to the Paracelsus's Sword in each particular case. ))
((Well, it's vacuum and cold down in the mines too (however much sense that makes.. vacuum isn't terribly cold), so I'd say Feyri should have at least two to three hours till stasis'ing for extraction. But let the team believe it's one hour, it'll make them do their job quicker, if nothing else. :P

I suppose failing that, there's always the "emergency flash freeze" to keep the brain preserved, even with some tissue damage.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: February 07, 2013, 03:50:08 pm »

((I can't speak for PW, but I think as long as the mission end is reasonably close (See: not like in mission 6 with a two-day walk) you're good to go.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: February 07, 2013, 04:01:26 pm »

((On that note - interesting, but concerning thought.

Although "Mining" would seem like a good candidate for it...  are you sure that this is even the last part of the colony you have to clear?))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: February 07, 2013, 04:13:49 pm »

"Steve? Could I order a custom automated manipulator?"

Spawn a gravity manipulator, and see if I can get it to follow a ball i.e, has the center of the gravity manipulation follow the ball.

((I realise that, and am working on it.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11811 on: February 07, 2013, 06:00:21 pm »

((On that note - interesting, but concerning thought.

Although "Mining" would seem like a good candidate for it...  are you sure that this is even the last part of the colony you have to clear?))
((Judging by that report we found the tunnels pre-date the human colonists. So at some point we're going to have to stop or we'll end up exploring some kind of alien city or something. And I think piecewise has already said that he's going to try to keep the mission short. Who knows? Maybe whatever Miyamoto is hearing will come after us. Or maybe the walls will come alive and eat us.))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11812 on: February 07, 2013, 08:47:09 pm »

snip
((You stole my idea. Now I have to make it first or make it better.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: February 07, 2013, 08:54:47 pm »

Goddamnit sean... now i want a rocket sliding kinetic amplification boxing suit.  :-\
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: February 08, 2013, 12:38:52 am »

Goddamnit sean... now i want a rocket sliding kinetic amplification boxing suit.  :-\
((Well, I'm planning to design and potentially build one in the future... It's going to be quite expensive though, since it's a custom build. The core suit would be about 9 or 10 token after modifications, and the melee pack has two amps, two tesla arcs, the jump boots and all the extra armor and hydraulics. The total cost of one would be on par with an Avatar. Maybe it could sell for less if it was standard gear (I mean, it only has a few things that a cheaper Battlesuit doesn't, besides being more compact), but till then... :\))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11815 on: February 08, 2013, 04:04:38 am »

hide nearby, inspect contents of backpack, read datapad

The backpack has a few dozen glowsticks, a medical kit, extra ammo for your weapons and a datapad. You take out the datapad and look up the information about your target. It tells you that the pseudo-human you're hunting was designed to hunt criminals and as such is an efficient urban predator.

The picture shows what looks like a man who got a significant proportion of his genetic code from a rodent and another chunk from a switchblade.

((Exactly like that))

-Setup a particle beam weapon using this method from wikipedia;

Charged particle beams diverge rapidly due to mutual repulsion, so neutral particle beams are more commonly proposed. A neutral particle beam weapon ionizes hydrogen gas by either stripping an electron off of each hydrogen atom, or by allowing each hydrogen atom to capture an extra electron. When hydrogen molecules gain electrons, they form anions; when hydrogen molecules lose electrons, they form cations; when hydrogen atoms lose their electron they form protons. A particle beam weapon that accelerates anions uses a traveling wave type particle accelerator. In this kind of ion accelerator, the negative ions are released inside a cylindrical ion acceleration chamber. This chamber has an electrode with an alternating electric charge of up to 1,000,000,000  volts inside it.
Stages:

While the charge on the electrode is positive, the ions are attracted to the negative charge on the electrode, and thus bunched around it.

The alternating voltage switches the charge to negative on the accelerating electrode.

The negative charge electrostatically repels the negative ions and accelerates them to near the velocity of light.

The resulting high energy beam of anions passes through a chamber filled with low pressure gas.

There, collisions with the gas strip the extra electrons from the anions, and thus make the particle beam neutral.

The particle beam proceeds straight to its target, and damages it by running into it, and by disrupting the structure of the target with its kinetic energy.

Cyclotron particle accelerators, linear particle accelerators, and synchroton particle acclerators can accelerate positively charged hydrogen ions until their velocity approaches the speed of light, and each individual ion has a kinetic energy range of 100 MeV to 1000 MeV or more.

Then the resulting high energy protons can capture electrons from electron emitter electrodes, and be thus electrically neutralized. This creates an electrically neutral beam of high energy hydrogen atoms, that can proceed in a straight line at near the speed of light to smash into its target and damage it.

This chamber has an electrode with an alternating electric charge of up to 1,000,000,000  volts inside it

I feel as though this may be a bit too much energy for you to generate with a man portable system.

((Whee action! :D I wonder if the thing makes thunderclaps when fired? :P))

"Alright, this works." (over team comms) "Report enemies if you see them! Keep watch and keep moving if you're firing! Remember, electric discharges give away your position better than shouting!"

Take position near window and peek out. Fire lightning if enemy spotted, remember to call out to team and leave cover/reposition to avoid counterattack.

Listen to annoyed confirmation from teammates because they're essentially me and know this crap already. :P

((speaking of awesome pictures, piecewise - how exactly do you envision the laser rifle and the tesla saber? I'm trying to figure out a good design for a proper combination of the two.))
You crawl to the window and look out, keeping an eye peeled for any sort of movement. You don't see anything and a quick call to your clones lets you know that firing on them appears to have stopped.

"Probably moving to a different position" One clone says.

"Maybe they all shot each other." The other grumbles.

"We could wait for them to open fire again I guess. Or move ourselves. Can't rely on cover for anything but hiding obviously; brick and drywall aren't gonna stop a laser."

(The laser rifle has, in my mind, always been somewhat similar in design to the fallout laser rifle; ie a big boxy thing. The tesla sabre is pretty much just a handle with a metal spike coming out the top surrounded by a ring of little "claw" things.)

Victor puts on his MkI suit, gets the parts and goes to the airlock. He then plans out how he will assemble the weapon (activate dynamic roll bonus)
((Well, Victor is a dead end for roleplaying and character development. I'll just give the AM the completed weapon and put Victor in cryonic purgatory so I can create a new character who will hopefully be a better person to roleplay.
 New Character sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))
Okie dokie.

You go to the airlock and prepare to not kill yourself.

First check the sphere, it probably has the best chances as being known, looking a lot like it could be human-made. Afterwards, the bottle, not that there's much of a chance that the result is something other than "It's a bottle, dummy". Then, I'm all out of artifacts to check.
You search for "Black sphere with button and LCD screen." You get lots of responses, as you'd expect, but can't find anything definite. The closest you can find is a picture of a toy fortune telling machine that looks very similar. The bottle search yields nothing interesting.

Slice his throat. Also have dummy actually use weapons.
[dex:6+1]
[dum dex:3]
[str:4+1]

You decapitate the everliving fuck out of him with a stylish flourish.

((I just looked at prices in the Armory, then my overall funds, then at my current VR prototype, and suddenly had a horrible, evil idea, that might net me a prototype weapon for my first mission.

Also, sketchity sketch:

edit: also, I've caught up on the mission thread now, too! ^_^

And, er... you know, pardon me if I'm wrong, but I distinctly recall the revivification time limit being five hours, not one. Either memory's playing tricks on me again, or there was a rules change I missed. >_>))
Hehe, nice picture. As per the revival time it's 5 hours if they aren't preserved. And the teams have had a pretty good habit of hucking the dead into stasis pods.

Now, as per what the altered look like, I keep some images that have some vague resemblance to what I imagine for them.
http://imgur.com/a/8lj5f

"Nope."

"Steve? Could I order a custom automated manipulator?"

Spawn a gravity manipulator, and see if I can get it to follow a ball i.e, has the center of the gravity manipulation follow the ball.

((I realise that, and am working on it.))
Whats the overall plan here? Also automanipulators are kind of limited, so I can't say for sure if it will work.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: February 08, 2013, 04:10:25 am »

((huh))

Couldn't I use a transformer?
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: February 08, 2013, 04:18:14 am »

Victor starts constructing his weapon.
If it isn't assembled correctly, dissemble and reassemble it until it is.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11818 on: February 08, 2013, 04:50:37 am »

(The laser rifle has, in my mind, always been somewhat similar in design to the fallout laser rifle; ie a big boxy thing. The tesla sabre is pretty much just a handle with a metal spike coming out the top surrounded by a ring of little "claw" things.)

Now, as per what the altered look like, I keep some images that have some vague resemblance to what I imagine for them.
http://imgur.com/a/8lj5f
((edit: So the rifle would be something like this?
Okay.. hm, how the hell does the saber have a power cell powerful enough that fits in a handle? I mean, the tesla arc has a strength req of 5, evoking the image of something like the lightning guns from Matrix:Revolution. Unless it uses the same unidentified power cells the field manipulators use...
But good to know that it's a handle. I'm really looking into completely redesigning the concept and integrating the rifle and saber into one casing, with a generator and a capacitor bank for several different firing modes. That thing is gonna be expensive. Quite unlike my evil little project. >:)

As for the Altered, I think I need to kick the mutagens up a notch. More bloatings, more carapace, more everything. :P))

Anton Prime is still peeking out the window, electrolaser at the ready, when he's suddenly struck with another project idea. He looks around in indecision, unsure whether to keep performing the field test, or pursue the new prototype. On one hand, the test is important. On the other, the new project may be available sooner, and might serve as a decent proof-of-concept for the final device. He keeps trying to make himself be in two places at once for a few seconds. Then he remembers he's already got two clones of himself here, and faceplate-palms.

"Okay, I'm stupid. I don't have to do this when I can have myself do this."

Pause VR program. Spawn another clone of Anton next to him, same gear and everything. Exclude Anton Prime from simulation, Unpause VR, and have the encounter resolve in accelerated time. Switch to Tinker, bring up and study the recording of the Duel encounter while working.

Open new project file, HAL-006 "Red Hand".

Bring up a Hand Laser and a Tesla Arc. Devise a way to pair up the devices in the same manner as the electrolaser rifle, turning the "laser glove" into a forearm-covering gauntlet, full-arm piece, or gauntlet plus backpack if necessary to accomodate powersource and other of the Tesla Arc's systems. Perform preliminary testing.

((Cheap, cheerful, electrolasery. It basically just gives the Tesla Arc the advantage of being aimable, but that's still something! :) ))
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:36:10 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: February 08, 2013, 05:33:34 am »

If you say so.
Go to the Rec room and collect the painting tools and supplies; return them to the armory.
Thank you for letting me borrow these. By the way, do you have any good books on field surgery or, let me think, psychological warfare and defending against it - not the propaganda kind, but the illusions/mind control one?
Talk to the Armory Master.

ADDED: ((@Sean Mirrsen Actually, if understand correctly, both the electrolaser rifle and gauntlet have the advantage of being (possibly) cheaper. That is, while in the ordinary tesla saber utilises a protective field (employed by the use of carefully calibrated automated field manipulator, I presume, which likely has to be costly) is used to contain the lightning-plasma-thing, in these the laser 'trail' is used to channel away the electrical mayhem. I also suggest using either the cutting laser batteries or cutting laser batteries upgraded to be rechargeable (+1 token, AFAIR) - they are so far the best known power source short of generators (offering about 240 total TPU per token in their unmodded variant).
Oh, and you might actually be better off with the tesla arc rather than with the saber.))
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:45:27 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 2101