_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5922727 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Crushing dreams and skulls.
« Reply #11745 on: February 04, 2013, 10:33:34 am »

((Some additional benefits of an NTR: you hit it with a laser burst, you pierce the case, but the coolant (also the propellant) makes sure that your laser isn't going to hit the core.))
((Although then you got a propellant leak, which although technically doesn't have to be flammable (an NTR mostly looks like a steam rocket to me), usually is. The benefit here is that outside of an oxygen atmosphere, just heating the propellant won't do much, since there is no oxidizer, so there's less risk of an explosion. Plus it gives you a sort of a controllable failure rather than a massive shrapnel fireball behind your back.

So, yeah. :) ))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11746 on: February 04, 2013, 10:49:25 am »

((PW: Here is my action again:))

Enter bullet time and avoid any incoming bullets by watching Doc's movements and predicting where he'll shoot. Move towards Doc, and if Renen can get close enough, slash him.

If the bullets stop coming, get near Doc for a attack but always ready to avoid any surprises.

>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11747 on: February 04, 2013, 11:27:39 am »

Check the link anyway, just in case, in a new tab. Restrict the search with 'not "space jesus"' and 'potentially dangerous'.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11748 on: February 04, 2013, 11:31:21 am »

((Some additional benefits of an NTR: you hit it with a laser burst, you pierce the case, but the coolant (also the propellant) makes sure that your laser isn't going to hit the core.))
((Although then you got a propellant leak, which although technically doesn't have to be flammable (an NTR mostly looks like a steam rocket to me), usually is. The benefit here is that outside of an oxygen atmosphere, just heating the propellant won't do much, since there is no oxidizer, so there's less risk of an explosion. Plus it gives you a sort of a controllable failure rather than a massive shrapnel fireball behind your back.

So, yeah. :) ))

((Well, in order to use the LOX-Injection "Afterburner", the propellant should be Hydrogen. Actually, it should be Hydrogen anyways, since it provides the highest exhaust velocity. Beauty of it is, since the hydrogen is under pressure, oxygen from the air around it won't be able to get in to make the thing explode, so you have a massive, rocket-power firespout, but no explosion. Plus, if a physical projectile like a gauss round pierces the outer casing, it'll be deflected by the resultant rocket burst, not to mention melted. So the "lightbulb" part is surprisingly well protected.

Strapping nuclear reactors to ourselves has never looked quite as appealing...))
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:38:19 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11749 on: February 04, 2013, 11:37:35 am »

((Reminds me of Ghostbusters. "Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back." :P))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11750 on: February 04, 2013, 11:39:44 am »

((Reminds me of Ghostbusters. "Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back." :P))

((DON'T CROSS THE EXHAUST.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11751 on: February 04, 2013, 11:41:46 am »

"Hrmm. I wonder."

Head to the VR, and load up a tinker sim. Spawn a MKII and jump pack. Search for a strong, lightweight cloth-like material.

((Dear god. Thats it, my idea is going to be tame after Pyro's nuculear MkIII.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11752 on: February 04, 2013, 11:42:55 am »

((Dear god. Thats it, my idea is going to be tame after Pyro's nuculear MkIII.))

((Just wait until you see my next plan, involving an ion engine, and coilguns.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11753 on: February 04, 2013, 11:45:01 am »

((DON'T CROSS THE EXHAUST.))
((Though I suppose if you wanted something melted off (or melted through), you could just brace yourself against something and point your thrusters at it. "A reaction drive's efficiency as a weapon is in direct proportion to its efficiency as a drive." :)

I'm also planning nuke-scale demo charges small enough to fit in your hand. That should count for something too, right?))
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:48:23 am by Sean Mirrsen »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11754 on: February 04, 2013, 11:47:43 am »

((Just wait until you see my next plan, involving an ion engine, and coilguns.))
((Oh, now how you are going to utilise that, I gotta see.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11755 on: February 04, 2013, 11:53:56 am »

((The thrust limiter on Ion engines has always been that there's a hard limit on how many ions you can shove through the traditional electrically charged grid at once. Using coilguns to accelerate the Ions more than solves this problem, it also enhances the ion's exhaust velocity. It'd be a null-gee only, small, high exhaust velocity propulsion system. It still won't get you much of anywhere fast, but it's better than shoving off of things to get around, and a hell of a lot cheaper than rockets.

Who said it was quite as insane? Other than the fact that you'll need a nuclear power source...))
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:56:45 am by PyroDesu »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11756 on: February 04, 2013, 11:54:59 am »

Stab the dummy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11757 on: February 04, 2013, 12:06:35 pm »

((The thrust limiter on Ion engines has always been that there's a hard limit on how many ions you can shove through the traditional electrically charged grid at once. Using coilguns to accelerate the Ions more than solves this problem, it also enhances the ion's exhaust velocity. It'd be a null-gee only, small, high exhaust velocity propulsion system. It still won't get you much of anywhere fast, but it's better than shoving off of things to get around, and a hell of a lot cheaper than rockets.

Who said it was quite as insane? Other than the fact that you'll need a nuclear power source...))
((You may be looking for a VASIMR thruster. Not coilguns, and not quite ion engine, but similar principle - accelerating ionized particulate with magnets. You might just need to pump more power in.

Also. Ion engines? Cheap?))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11758 on: February 04, 2013, 12:20:39 pm »

((You may be looking for a VASIMR thruster. Not coilguns, and not quite ion engine, but similar principle - accelerating ionized particulate with magnets. You might just need to pump more power in.

((VASMIR uses plasma, Ion just uses... ions.

And yeah, Ion is cheap, in the long term. You won't really be needing to refuel, it's got such a high Isp.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11759 on: February 04, 2013, 12:42:47 pm »

((VASMIR uses plasma, Ion just uses... ions.

And yeah, Ion is cheap, in the long term. You won't really be needing to refuel, it's got such a high Isp.))
((I meant more in terms of immediate expenses on building the thing, but long term it's probably cheaper, yeah.

And ions, plasma - (nearly) same difference. :P ))

Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 2101