_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5928439 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Anomaly in the box
« Reply #11385 on: January 14, 2013, 04:44:58 pm »

((PW said there were auto manipulators this plan would require no modification only creative use))
((He never specified whether any of the available auto manipulators actually do any of things you need them to. You may want to check to make sure that they can. After all, it isn't that likely that people would produce auto manipulators for generating singularities.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: January 14, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »

((As in last post I have abandoned this technology, also ruling out a line of thought just because of the consequeses of a possible bad roll seems a bit strange considering almost all of the advanced weapons possibly horrible repercussions (The MMM for example). Although Radio controlled's idea sounds intreresting or a UnConventional Fission Instigator. ))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: January 14, 2013, 06:27:31 pm »

((Here's something cool: I just found a real old scifi book that makes reference almost exactly to the MkII suit's trauma apprehension system.

To whit:
Quote from: The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (1974)
The suit is set up to save as much of your body as possible. If you lose part of an arm or a leg, one of sixteen razor-sharp irises closes around your limb with the force of a hydraulic press, snipping it off neatly and sealing the suit before you can die of explosive decompression. Then "trauma maintenance" cauterizes the stump, replaces lost blood, and fills you full of happy-juice and No-shock. So you will either die happy or, if your comrades go on to win the battle, eventually be carried back up to the ship's aid station.

It's got other similarities to the Mk suits, like the cooling fins that carry the potential of a sublimation detonation if you were to press them against material in space/really frakking cold planets, and the fragility, though they are powered armor (effectively, they're a MkIII sans rockets, and with changeable digital (but not adaptive) camouflage, from this description.)))
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:34:45 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: January 14, 2013, 07:24:05 pm »

((Wow. Indeed that finding is quite cool, and the book's title sounds very promising. Now I'm both eager and hesitant to check out that book in order to learn whether all the characters there die in vain, or not. You know, (un)useful insight and all. :P
Oh, and while we are at it, aren't the explosive decompression/flash freezing upon puncture actually myths - I mean, at least in our world (ERverse might differ in that, though)? I've seen a few sources debunking those, but, being mostly ignorant on the matter, I'm cautious to believe.
-Oh. Just understood that we originally learned about the flash freezing caused by puncture from Steve and he could have been misguiding the convicts (in no way I could believe him to be misinformed/lacking the knowledge). ))

Well, that's a relief.
Now, let's see if the Altered, with ten times as much power as they had in the height of the Altered Wars, invaded the UWM from an unexplored/supposedly unpopulated sector of space.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:26:05 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:34 pm »

((http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6df_SExVw

Only thing this guy misses is the fact that if you try to hold your breath before being exposed, like you might when going underwater, you will suffer severe pulmonary embolism. You'd die no matter what then, unless whatever picked you up out of space had a system that would breathe for you, considering your lungs would have exploded.

Also, I think PW is, apart from amps, manipulators, and a few other bits and pieces, trying to keep this fairly realistic, so the consequences for exposure to vacuum would likely be the same in the ERverse.))
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:58:59 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11390 on: January 14, 2013, 11:34:31 pm »

((how do you do the message thing?))
Flip through more channels.

Quote from: Jack Hansan to  whoever sent the message about the game
Send the Game my way.

Send the game Jack's way.
You send the game to Jack.

Put the goggles back on, closing the right eye, and keeping the left one open. Observe room. Practice picking out specific layers.
You put on the goggles and start looking around. Slowly things become clearer and clearer and clearer. You start being able to see the nerves in the muscle and the bone beneath that, as well as all the electronic bits in the VR machines. Neat.

Choose MkIII Suit, Gauss Rifle +Extra magazine; also bring a Dex Stim. Start at the front

The world fades and reforms a moment later. You're sitting in a trench, your back against a mud wall and a rifle in your lap. You can hear the electrical hiss of gauss rifles somewhere near by but the immediate area around you is empty. Well, almost empty, there's a body laying in front of you. Well, most of a body. Something not human screams overhead; a pustule on wings, trailed by a cloud spores. You can't see it but you know that there are a million angry things outside the trench. This is Hexbarax. You are likely to be eaten by a gru-Giant fucking mutant.

((Why yes I do intend to use it as with it I can suck-up peoples molecules in less than a second or even launch a singularity at something if I really wanted))

Auto Manipulators you say? lets see them then, also for the first iteration use an auto magnetic manipulator if its available

Well, not gonna work in that case. See, auto manipulators basically only have one action programmed. Ie you could get one that, say, would attempt to stop anything with x mass going at y speed or more from entering a set area around the manipulator.

There isn't really a set list of available ones because you can get them in lots of ways, so if you can think of something you want to do you can ask and we'll see if it's possible.

Well lets see. That machine gun is custom, and propellant based, which is increasingly rare, so probably 3 token for the gun body. 1 for the camera and circuitry needed to set up remote firing and siting through a wristpad.  Motorized ball joint stand is like 1 too, since it's fairly simple. That magazine is a bit difficult since the combination things needed to make it work as you want is sorta complex. I mean, Drum magazines area already complicated with their spider gears and all, but mix in explosive backing and making the thing essentially a claymore and you have something not cheap. A magazine itself is gonna cost 1 token, and thats empty. Filled with straight ammo, 2 token and full with the ClF3 ammo, 3.
((So assuming I didn't misread your post the unit would be 8 tokens total? Is the magazine included in the cost of purchasing a weapon or is the magazine the weapon comes with "free"?))
Use the "Explode" option on a laser rifle and a gauss rifle, see if any of their parts (with a focus on the circuits) can be used (or modified slightly) instead of custom parts (with a focus on the electronic firing mechanisms) in the gun in order to reduce the price. See if parts of the magazine can be made from cheaper parts.
Test fire it against a MkIII, a synthflesh unit, a fullbody cyborg, a door and a battlesuit (in VR of course).

((What range modifiers does this weapon have and what requirements does it have?))
Then, see if it is possible to modify an eighth kiloton charge into a Casaba-Howitzer. See if a small-scale Casaba-Howitzer can be made into a grenade launcher round or a bullet.
((I might as well do this research for PyroDesu seeing as the current mission may keep Simus away from a VR machine for a while. Speaking of which, first I use ClF3 and now I'm working on Casaba-Howitzers... I'm beginning to suspect that PyroDesu is possessing me via some sort of side effect from VR use. Could it be possible for a person to use VR so much that their research subconsciously persuades people to take up similar designs? Or maybe every time a person uses a VR machine, their consciousness becomes increasingly embedded into some sort of VR user hivemind.))
Well, none of those electronics are gonna work on your thing, mostly because they're all to do with the camera and the remote control. Over all, you're not gonna get it any cheaper then that.

As per those shooting trials, ClF3 shells or normal?

And when it comes to the Casaba, I understand the basic idea here: Big old spear of plasma generated via nuclear weapon, used to hypothetically murder things in space. Always good. Now, I am no physicist so I don't know, but from what I've read it seems like this thing only really works in space and that in an atmosphere it would have a very different effect.Is that correct?

Beyond that, I don't see why you couldn't make one, or get one made, although you may have some difficulty finding a way to actually use it.

Run and jump into a spinning kick.

You kick the armory window.

"Stop that" The armory master says, not even looking up.

Okay yeah make the chemials meet just past the end of the barrel,
As for the GAU-8 rounds if they require no internal space to store the chemicals or whatnot use them too

test fire everthing
Well, that Neotherm flamethrower would work then.

As per the GAU-8 rounds...well no the incendiary chemicals do take up internal space.

((Hmmm.... So many WMD's so little time))

Send a message to RnD lab asking about the artifact that created the crystal projector and what of it and records of it are accessible to me.

Generate two models of the singularity gun one the has no GFM and instead has all matter stored in a core that acts like a small star (compressing it and creating heat via movement to start fusion reactions) The radiation from this can also be launched in a variety of shapes and ways. Along with a normal model using the singularity. Test them both against Mk II and Mk III armour in order to discern which is more destructive using both vacuum mode and the special moves (Singularity self-destruct and Fusion laser attack).

The only records of the artifacts associated with that gun are gonna be the recordings of the mission, which is mission 1. So feel free to look over that mission. Otherwise the guys in RnD aren't one for handing out their secrets.

As per that singularity gun...I can tell you it pretty much isn't gonna work, at least outside of tinker. Auto Manipulators wouldn't have the ability to do what you need and the simple fact of the matter is that a Fission instigator would be cheaper and probably much safer. Assuming you stand far back. I mean, if you just want to play around with a gun that does whatever you want, you can do that, but actually seeing it in real life is a bit different.

((Well, I have a counter to your WMD's. Creating singularities will get you killed, either by the singularity itself, or by your teammates. One does not simply fuck around with singularities.))
Theres a lot of stuff in this universe people whouldn't fuck with, but if they can physically do it, I'll let them. He can get those manipulators and try this if he survives that long. Hell, he might even succeed. But it will probably kill him, one way or another.

((Wow. Indeed that finding is quite cool, and the book's title sounds very promising. Now I'm both eager and hesitant to check out that book in order to learn whether all the characters there die in vain, or not. You know, (un)useful insight and all. :P
Oh, and while we are at it, aren't the explosive decompression/flash freezing upon puncture actually myths - I mean, at least in our world (ERverse might differ in that, though)? I've seen a few sources debunking those, but, being mostly ignorant on the matter, I'm cautious to believe.
-Oh. Just understood that we originally learned about the flash freezing caused by puncture from Steve and he could have been misguiding the convicts (in no way I could believe him to be misinformed/lacking the knowledge). ))

Well, that's a relief.
Now, let's see if the Altered, with ten times as much power as they had in the height of the Altered Wars, invaded the UWM from an unexplored/supposedly unpopulated sector of space.
Invaded how? Like just as a giant armada?  And by power do you mean 10 times the number of units or that those units have 10 times the killing power of originals? Makes a difference in spread.

((Here's something cool: I just found a real old scifi book that makes reference almost exactly to the MkII suit's trauma apprehension system.

To whit:
The suit is set up to save as much of your body as possible. If you lose part of an arm or a leg, one of sixteen razor-sharp irises closes around your limb with the force of a hydraulic press, snipping it off neatly and sealing the suit before you can die of explosive decompression. Then "trauma maintenance" cauterizes the stump, replaces lost blood, and fills you full of happy-juice and No-shock. So you will either die happy or, if your comrades go on to win the battle, eventually be carried back up to the ship's aid station.

It's got other similarities to the Mk suits, like the cooling fins that carry the potential of a sublimation detonation if you were to press them against material in space/really frakking cold planets, and the fragility, though they are powered armor (effectively, they're a MkIII sans rockets, and with changeable digital (but not adaptive) camouflage, from this description.)))

To whit:

I don't recall if I said it somewhere in the threads or if it was during a stream but The Forever War was one of the larger influences on this game; I was reading it at the time in fact. The MK suits, or at least aspects of them are inspired by the suits in that. If you guys are ever curious I can tell you all sorts of stuff about the origins of the game and it's influences and stuff.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11391 on: January 14, 2013, 11:49:43 pm »

Ask a player character to punch me in the chest. Declare my invincibility.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:02 am »

Hey mutzel can i join your battle of hexbarax?

select neo-therm flamethrower, mkIII suit and a hand laser then spawn about ten feet away and incinerate the nearest xeno i see

Huzzah he said yes... time to burn stuff  :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:52:42 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40:46 am »

((The thing about all these WMD Superweapons is that you'll never get to use them. If one costed, say 30 tokens, by the time you get that far you've already died; this will either be from a semi-sucidal mission or you'll get nearly enough tokens and then you die in a horrible accident after the crew decides to play a game of "Clinton's Little Bake Oven Metaterrestial All-Soviet-American Football"))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: January 15, 2013, 12:41:02 am »

((ClF3 rounds.))
Repeat the tests except the target is now behind a door and instead of firing, a full magazine of ClF3 rounds is attached to the door and remotely detonated.
((I think (inviting people more knowledgeable about the subject to correct me here) that it requires it to be in a vacuum so that most of the energy is released as X-rays, however, I don't think that the entire area must be a vacuum, just the weapon itself. I might as well give up on the idea of using it in grenade launcher shells or bullets seeing as it'll probably be too large and expensive. I'll probably AFK for the next week so I won't post anymore actions for now.))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:59:24 am by Empiricist »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11395 on: January 15, 2013, 01:10:09 am »

((Thank you PW, I guess the main auto manipulators I would want if they are available would be a vector manipulator that essentially causes a laser to travel from designated x towards designated y. Also the reason I wanted to ask the RnD lab was to give reason for knowlege about the artefact retrival from mission one that empiricist told me about. ))

Look through 1st mission log.

Look at the exploded view of the crystal projector, examine a crystal that is formed due to firing and analyse for anything from neural activity to rdiactivity even its interaction with amps.

Finally the story of the inspiration of this game sounds interesting>

So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: January 15, 2013, 01:27:09 am »

((Judging by what you mentioned in the email about your intentions towards those, I have a really, really bad feeling.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: January 15, 2013, 02:47:53 am »

If you guys are ever curious I can tell you all sorts of stuff about the origins of the game and it's influences and stuff.
((Enlighten me, but about NPC designs instead of the setting itself. What are your inspirations for Steve, Doc and AM, for example, (if any)?))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: January 15, 2013, 04:06:53 am »

If you guys are ever curious I can tell you all sorts of stuff about the origins of the game and it's influences and stuff.
((Enlighten me, but about NPC designs instead of the setting itself. What are your inspirations for Steve, Doc and AM, for example, (if any)?))
((I wanna hear about more macro-setting-based things.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: January 15, 2013, 04:44:30 am »

((I would like to hear about the less conventional technology (crystalline projectors, field manipulators, FTL travel, etc.)))
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 2101