_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5934700 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Anomaly in the box
« Reply #11160 on: December 29, 2012, 01:03:41 pm »

(( A bit late, but still:
@Corsair Welcome to the HMR Corps! Enjoy your stay  ;)
@Piecewise Welcome back!))
Whistle a merry tune. Check the search progress bar.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: December 29, 2012, 08:04:19 pm »

((Im going to guess that peicewise will answer tavis toth so ill leave that to him))

Search for someone to make my kinetic shunt feild thingy
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: December 29, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »

((Eh? Why would he do that?))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: December 29, 2012, 10:23:47 pm »

((Also, there aren't methods of manufacture, other than "make it yourself" and "find someone handy to make it for you."))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: December 29, 2012, 10:50:48 pm »

((Also, there aren't methods of manufacture, other than "make it yourself" and "find someone handy to make it for you."))

((I think he meant like machines and such that we could use to manufacture stuff.

In which case, the answer is still, no. Best we have is tools borrowed from the armory, some weapons/devices that have alternative uses (Jim's Microwave/Mass Manipulation amps for making swords out of scrap, for instance), and whatever materials we are given for prototyping/buy ourselves.

Actually, why don't we have some sort of machine shop-esque bit? That way, we don't just borrow tools piecemeal from the armory whenever we want to build a prototype of make something.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: December 29, 2012, 11:03:08 pm »

((The idea of the kinetic shunt is to have it tied to the suit the PC is wearing (whatever it is) and when the player is hit by the attack absorb the kinetic energy of it (like a kinetic shunt) and use it to build up kinetic energy so that by the 30th hit (when the battery runs dry) you could use the absorbed energy and apply it to one point or just use it to power the kinetic shunt again thus creating an invunerablilty from kinetic attacks to an extreme degree (as I understand how this would work)  ))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: December 29, 2012, 11:24:34 pm »

((I don't mind at all. Just let me know when it's ready.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: December 29, 2012, 11:29:26 pm »

((The idea of the kinetic shunt is to have it tied to the suit the PC is wearing (whatever it is) and when the player is hit by the attack absorb the kinetic energy of it (like a kinetic shunt) and use it to build up kinetic energy so that by the 30th hit (when the battery runs dry) you could use the absorbed energy and apply it to one point or just use it to power the kinetic shunt again thus creating an invunerablilty from kinetic attacks to an extreme degree (as I understand how this would work)  ))

((The shunt isn't automatic, it requires a roll to act successfully. And the point of the kinetic shunt is to, well, shunt the energy of a hit. It doesn't really absorb as much as redirect. Although using it to recharge the shunt itself is an interesting idea, using a generator to provide a steady source of power would be smarter, even if you use the shunt to provide power, have it shunt into separate power packs, so that a bad shunt roll doesn't mean wasted power in the shunt's battery.

Also, Tinker, in VR, does not require any rolls at all to design something, but assembling a prototype, assuming you get a green light for prototyping, does. You can design something and have someone else assemble it, in other words. You can even pay the Armory Master to guarantee that it comes out exactly as it should. Another player (one with a good handiwork skill) would probably be cheaper, but less certain. This all coming from one of the few resident Tinker Addicts, in-character and out of character.))
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:33:50 pm by PyroDesu »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: December 29, 2012, 11:37:39 pm »

((IIRC, no one has tested out the shunt, even in VR.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: December 29, 2012, 11:49:14 pm »

((IIRC, no one has tested out the shunt, even in VR.))

((It has, if indirectly. We got some info on it when it was used by a simulated AM in a duel session, if I recall. Might have been some tinkering with it afterwords, just to find effects and whatnot, but I'm not quite as sure about that. I'll see if I can dig up any relevant information.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: December 30, 2012, 12:43:51 am »

((Could multiple shunts be arranged so that if one fails to stop a hit another could attempt to like a re-roll, or would it be best to buy one with multiple batteries so that it could last longer. Also after reading that some of the suits can fly I have an idea of where the kinetic energy could be rerouted. Also with this system could the energy gained be run through a kinetic amp to boost the power gleaned? ))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11171 on: December 30, 2012, 01:14:23 am »

((Could multiple shunts be arranged so that if one fails to stop a hit another could attempt to like a re-roll, or would it be best to buy one with multiple batteries so that it could last longer. Also after reading that some of the suits can fly I have an idea of where the kinetic energy could be rerouted. Also with this system could the energy gained be run through a kinetic amp to boost the power gleaned? ))

((Try it and find out, I don't know all the answers. Like I said, VR, especially Tinker, allows you to test stuff like that.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: December 30, 2012, 01:25:27 am »

((Do note that a shunt is a specialized manipulator, and knowing or modifying exactly how manipulators work is a big no-no. Thus, I don't think you can transform absorbed shunt energy into more shunt power.

Also, if you're planning what I think you're planning, I'd guess that shunt-flight would be rather jarring and unreliable. Shunting it into a kinetic amp would probably be doable, though I'm not sure how useful it'd be.

Also remember that it stores the force until needed, so some sort of direct-flow setup really wouldn't be necessary; you could just store up however much force you needed and then release it on whatever gadget you had that could use it.))
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: December 30, 2012, 02:12:11 am »

((Well the idea is that the shunt would only shunt energy that is hitting the users armour and the kinetic amp would simply allow for more bang for your buck. The flight would be simply be using the kinetic energy to boost out of or into enemy engagements.

Another function could be to out of missions constantly have a robot/drone charge the armour by hitting it. Also the kinetic energy coud be eventually released to fling a giant asteroid at someone or throw a enemy at his friend fast enough that they are both "atomised".))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: December 30, 2012, 02:52:34 am »

((I'm not sure I follow with the armor thing. What else would it be hitting, or do you mean wearing armor over it just in case? Or only shunting the energy that makes it through the armor?

Anyway, for the flight thing, yeah, but remember that you're still talking about using raw kinetic force to move yourself. That's perfectly doable, but it's likely to be a bit inelegant and possibly dangerous. The amp would indeed work like that, though you might need a piston system to properly transfer it.

The trouble with charging up the shunt before battle is that it needs battery power to use. Its main use is to protect you from harm, not give extra force to your blows. Unless you're trying to wring every last bit of offensive power out of it regardless of cost, that's probably inefficient.))
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 2101