_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5937581 times)

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: 6 months of alien brain rape and counting
« Reply #6510 on: September 04, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »

Take a microwave manipulator, and wire it up to a basic miniaturized computer (iphone size). Program the computer to record the calculations for past manipulator uses, and let you re-use those calculations as a starting point (or even an exact copy) for future uses. If this proves successful, try the technique with other manipulators.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:05:28 pm by Nicholas1024 »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: 6 months of alien brain rape and counting
« Reply #6511 on: September 04, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »

(( What kind of battery were you thinking of? I can look into it if you want i need to design a power source for the sentry turret im designing and i plan on making a few different one's to see what's best so i can always see if one of them is useful for your purposes. ))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: September 04, 2012, 01:00:40 pm »

Take a microwave manipulator amp, and wire it up to a basic miniaturized computer (iphone size). Program the computer to record the calculations for past manipulator uses, and let you re-use those calculations as a starting point (or even an exact copy) for future uses. If this proves successful, try the technique with other manipulators.
((Amps use your brain for the operations. All the calculations are unconscious, I think.))

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: September 04, 2012, 01:05:44 pm »

Take a microwave manipulator amp, and wire it up to a basic miniaturized computer (iphone size). Program the computer to record the calculations for past manipulator uses, and let you re-use those calculations as a starting point (or even an exact copy) for future uses. If this proves successful, try the technique with other manipulators.
((Amps use your brain for the operations. All the calculations are unconscious, I think.))

((The exotic ones yes, but not the unconditional ones.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: September 04, 2012, 01:10:54 pm »

((Field manipulators are unconventional, psychokinetic amps are exotic. You called the thing both a manipulator and an amp, and both exist in a microwave variation. It's just that it might be misread.))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: September 04, 2012, 01:38:51 pm »

Lukas takes a look at all the new guys walking around, wondering whether he should introduce himself. "Aaaw, fuck it."

Go watch television with Bishop instead. Attempt to sit on the couch.
You thud your way over to the couch and sit down. The couch crunches beneath you, pulverized flat beneath your weight.  Bishop just keeps changing channels. 
((Wrec room.))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: September 04, 2012, 01:55:15 pm »

Take a microwave manipulator, and wire it up to a basic miniaturized computer (iphone size). Program the computer to record the calculations for past manipulator uses, and let you re-use those calculations as a starting point (or even an exact copy) for future uses. If this proves successful, try the technique with other manipulators.
Glad to see you're working on my idea   :)

((Sorry, your intelligence is only 6, and you need at least 8 to understand and make the necessary calculations. Mesk has a 10 in intelligence and a natural +1 to aux, though he does have a -1 to unconventional. Aside from May (who has a -1 to aux, but has the requisite intelligence and a +1 to unconventional weapons), he is the only one smart enough to understand the MagFM.))

Why indeed, hadn't thought about that. Sorry that I couldn't help you, but i was planning to dump some exp points in int after the mission (if i survive, that is  :P ), so i might be able to work on it in the future.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: 6 months of alien brain rape and count
« Reply #6517 on: September 04, 2012, 01:56:40 pm »

((Actually, more people already had that idea throughout the hundreds of pages of this thread and that is exactly the system that works inside the automated manipulators the AM sells and are able to stop bullets before they hit you.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: 6 months of alien brain rape and count
« Reply #6518 on: September 04, 2012, 02:18:30 pm »

((Actually, more people already had that idea throughout the hundreds of pages of this thread and that is exactly the system that works inside the automated manipulators the AM sells and are able to stop bullets before they hit you.))

((Ah, ok, seeing as how I haven't had the time to read all of that, -diligently working to fix that as we speak- I didn't know. I do recall, however, that the kinetic shunts need an uncon weapon roll to work, too. It's just that the AM is so darn good with them. Or are you referring to something else? ))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: September 04, 2012, 02:28:04 pm »

((Ah, ok, seeing as how I haven't had the time to read all of that, -diligently working to fix that as we speak- I didn't know. I do recall, however, that the kinetic shunts need an uncon weapon roll to work, too. It's just that the AM is so darn good with them. Or are you referring to something else? ))
((Something else. Automated manipulators (not kinetic shunt), they are cheaper than the shunt and work a little like it, but they don't need any rolls. The AM is selling one of those that can stop a gauss round for seven tokens, if I remember correctly. Milno discovered them right after the first mission, while discussing defensive measures with the AM.))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:30:28 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6520 on: September 04, 2012, 02:52:18 pm »

Design it to use a high power laser rifle with variable fire settings of single shot , 3 round burst of fully automatic , Operated by a power source similar to that of a MK III suit. Place it on a tripod with a ball and socket joint allowing for a 360 degree field of fire. Use a variable targeting system capable of radar , visual or voice command targeting. Also build in a wireless up link system to allow it to send data directly to the owners HUD in real time.
Alright well first off this thing is gonna be pretty damn expensive. I assume you want a cutting laser when you say "high power laser rifle". And it can't exactly have a 3 round burst if it's a laser, it's either on or off and it's better to just have it on for a second or so and sweep it across targets. A ball and socket design is gonna be very complex since it needs ways to actually move and aim on that socket, so a simple design of rotating on a plane with servos to articulate the gun on a platform is probably gonna be a better one.

Now, a variable targeting system is all fine, but, assuming you want it to be autonomous you're gonna have a problem with allowing it to infer what is and isn't a target simply from visual data. You could do something like making it target motion fairly easily, but a system you can just set down and it can understand what is and isn't a threat is gonna be harder.  Voice command might be even harder unless you're just using simple commands like "Fire ahead" or  "Fire at movement". I mean, saying "Fire at the enemy" is a hell of a lot more complex then you'd think. The computer has to know what the enemy is, be able to identify it in some way, differentiate it from non-enemies, scenery and friendlies; it's all very complex.

The wireless link up is easy though. Thats just a camera system.

Add transceivers to both the manipulator and the claw, so that their relative location can be gauged. Create a joystick with one stick and three buttons to the right of it - a red one marked "OPEN CLAW" and two blue buttons marked "UP" and "DOWN", grouped by color. Use the one-token generator for MagFM power. The joystick should not be wireless.
Now for the main component!
Summon a datapad. Remove all extraneous bits such as built-in screens and keyboards, leaving the integral computer parts (CPU and other stuff) and storage medium intact. Preserve (or create) functional external video output port, keyboard input port, joystick input port, command output port, also give the datapad a more compact, durable plastic shell. Plug the joystick into the appropriate port.
Connect the transceiver to the datapad as well. Finally, install a command input port to the manipulator. Connect the two command ports as tightly and inextricably as possible.
Okay, now I have to find somebody who can understand the crazy math in these things and program the all-important stuff.
See if I can message the smartest fellow I know, Mesk, while in VR. If I can, pester him.
"Hey, uh, Mesk. Remember how I gave you this token out of the kindness of my heart instead of using it to buy all kinds of wicked crazy armament? Well, I have something you might come in handy for. Know anything about programming computers? Also, how good are you at math?"

So are you attempting to wire that joystick into the Manipulator? because if you are, The Tinker program is going to stop you from accessing the internal parts of the manipulator.

Assist the troops in the trench and if possible raise morale.

[dex:5+1]
You leap down into the trench and bull doze your way through, crushing altered beneath your feet and pinching their heads and mutated limbs off between your fingers as you charge through their ranks. You're fairly certain you crushed a few soldiers as well, but it's rather hard not to when you're 6 meters tall.

You manage to drive the altered back and out of the trench, but the armored vehicle to the right of you succumbs to the hordes and the massive altered best continues to gain ground  as it approaches the trench, a new horde swarming around it's elephantine feet.

((Any useful vehicle should be powerful enough to carry its own power source, especially given the possibilities given by future tech.))

Lars eyes the couch.  Well, this is something he can do!  He approaches the metal man.

"Sir, please stand from this broken couch- I wish to repair it."

Fix the couch!
[handi:2]
"Yes, I wish to repair it! I wish I could repair it! However, I cannot, because I am inept. By the way, Have I told you about the gazer?"

"Can he repair the couch?" Lukas asks, staring down at the wood, fabric and stuffing pulp that was a couch once.

"Probably not."

"Then I don't want to hear about it."

((@ baldman: i get a natural +1 to aux, so i could help with programming stuff, i think

[int:3] Hmm the main problem appears to be that the teams didn't coordinate their actions well. That and the fact that they seem to have been filled with idiots.
Lovely :)

Well, prototypes are given for new things, not just generators with what amounts to power adapters on them. You'll find that you may have to do more then just have a generator though, since, for instance, the laser rifle uses non-rechargeable chemical batteries.  As per the armory master, she doesn't care about making tokens.

Darn, didn't know about the chemical batteries. Are there other weapons/utilities whose batteries also aren't rechargeable?

We'll may have to design new batteries too, in this case.

Of note: I'll probably be rebalancing the cost for manipulator batteries. They are as they are right now for a game balancing reason, but I went overboard and it doesn't actually make sense in universe. What will happen is you'll probably see all the batteries become a single cost, since, in universe, all manipulators use the same amount of energy.

Happy to hear this, seeing how i'll be using manipulators extensively. Am I correct in the assumption that the user is worn down due to the exhausting calculations one needs to make? Would it be feasible, then, to channel part of the workload to a computer, thereby lessening the drain on Will?))

Well, there are other problems. For instance, the tesla arc's wiring actually burns out as it's battery is used up, so the entire weapon become useless very quickly, regardless of power source. Gotta remember that these are almost all relics of a war that ended almost 900 years ago, a war in which the laser rifles weren't made rechargeable because the average soldier didn't live long enough to need a second battery.

The tinker program rejects your attempts to wire anything into the manipulator. Strangely, it doesn't allow you to examine the internal schematics of the manipulator either.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: September 04, 2012, 02:57:01 pm »

Okay then, instead of wiring the program module (former datapad) directly into the manipulator, adapt the user interface (or is that off-limits as well?) to accept the input from the program module as a method of entering commands. As in, port it into the computer that serves as the UI.
((The rest of my post still stands, right? Also, is the FM computer sophisticated or powerful?))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:01:55 pm by Harry Baldman »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: September 04, 2012, 02:58:34 pm »

(( Tinker orgy in its earnest. Good, good.

Well, if seriously, glad to know you guys have brought up quite a number of ideas I didn't have time/chance to try my hand at with my previous character. For one, it means that I'll be able to directly purchase those from the armory when I finally have the tokens :P

@piecewise Just asking - have the TPU specifications been rebalanced since the last time? If not, could you look into the tesla sabre battery price or TPU output or life time a part of the ongoing rebalancing? I believe its performace wasn't intended that way.
Or maybe the power to the sabre is supplied not continously, but in quick bursts, so that the real capacity of the battery is much smaller than use time multiplied by the nominal TPU output. ))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:05:29 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: September 04, 2012, 03:04:31 pm »

"Well, if I cannot repair it, I must replace it."

Head to the Armory and requisition another couch.  If they're not in stock, the parts to make one.  If that's not in stock either, get some wood and tools to build one from scratch.

((I'll head to tinker soon too, failing mission start with me in it.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: September 04, 2012, 03:05:54 pm »

(( Good job ive been working out ways to make this possible for the last 30 minutes and got some of it down. ))

Types in new parameters for the sentry turret
"1 Upgraded laser rifle for increased damage and range.The upgrades i designed for my own rifle should suffice if possible with a far larger battery or multiple battery's attached that it will cycle through so the rifle can fire for longer for a longer period without needing a fresh battery.
A simple design of rotating on a plane with servos to articulate the gun on a platform.
A radar operated guiding system with a visual scanner integrated.
Also on the targeting system i would like to input the electronic signature of our suits ( There systems would give off a specific signature and theoretically i could program the sentry to register that signature as friendly so it will not fire on it )
I also want voice command but not for targeting specifically but rather so i can order it to fire at will or cease fire or order it to give suppression fire on a general area rather then a specific target
Plus the direct up link into my HUD.
"
Also begin work on an adaptable battery to power the sentry's systems that has multiple port's to enable it to be plugged into various electrical source's for a recharge

(( This all makes sense in my head. If it dosnt to you GM then PM me and ill try to explain it in more detail. Im hoping i can convince the AM or Steve to let me make a free prototype of this since it is a system that the AM does not have. ))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:09:48 pm by mesor »
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 2101