_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5938978 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: Kinder Surpise of Death
« Reply #5655 on: August 22, 2012, 12:10:40 pm »

(( Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Well, we could try and create laser weaponry based on pulse lasers (as compared to continious lasers currently in use), and for those the concept of rate of fire would be valid.

Oh, and yes, laser cannons are lovely :3 The cutting laser with increased power input and/or an additional array of lenses, maybe? ))
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:17:23 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5656 on: August 22, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »

"Well, if you say so. I trust your medical expertise, Doc."
Follow the doctor's instructions.
"If you plan on cutting me up, could you please put me back together afterwards as well?"
((Okay, so a Matter Converter essentially makes a person into a god, provided that said person doesn't turn its head into pudding by accident.))
(Well, you still need to have the matter to convert. Ie the Armory master converted the air (a whole lot of it, actually their should be a shockwave as this happens since she would basically suck a huge pocket of air out of existence and cause the rest of the air to rush back in with a great amount of force) into the metal, didn't just pull it out of nowhere. Plus the massive amounts of will it drains to use.)
You lay down and the doctor immediately jabs the syringe into your neck. The world goes all fuzzy before you black out.

((Okay, so a Matter Converter essentially makes a person into a god, provided that said person doesn't turn its head into pudding by accident.))

((Which means you need 20 tokens for the amp and 20 more tokens for the good overcompensator, plus at least a guaranteed +1 to the skill so protect against both 1s and 6s which could both easily be horribad fatal.  Plus, extensive practice to know what is within the scope of possibility without frying the amp or your brain.

I don't think that's unreasonable.))

Lars groaned.  That really, really, did not work.  He needed to work on his own body strength.

First, though, he needed to not die.

Run for the rifle and shoot the man.  Not worth saving this one.
(not to mention the high will skill you need. Thats the thing about this game; you can basically become a psychic demigod, an unstoppable synthflesh giant or any number of other massively powerful things, but it all takes a lot of time and money.)

Also, you're sitting in one of the isles, with the man in front of you, about one isle away. Do you want to try and charge right past him or would you like to move a different way, like running back and over a few isles before going forward?

Change laser rifle power supply.

((Better?))
The laser rifle's power supply comes in the form of replaceable batteries, what amounts to ammo magazines. Changing the power supply could mean
1.Adapting the rifle to work with a permanent energy source
2.Adapting the rifle to work with a different sized battery, either higher capacity or higher intensity
3. Adapting the rifle to handle multiple batteries at once to increase duration of fire
etc.

Sorry if this is a bit overcomplex at first, tinker is a powerful program and the weapons are complicated. But it does allow for a great deal of customization or even the creation of completely new weapons and items. If you're ever having trouble with it, don't be afraid to ask for some help, either from me or another player. People like zako, pyro and Nik are practically tinker addicts so they'd be able to help you along quite well.  A good starting place is to have a goal for what you want to do, such as increasing the power of a weapon or it's fire rate and then working through the various avenues of making that happen from there.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: August 22, 2012, 12:32:54 pm »

((I assume Timmy will be unconscious for a couple of turns?))
Dream sweet dreams of my dear departed friend, Mr. Pillow.
((On modding the laser rifle: in the end, the whole laser upgrading thing relies on how much time you're willing to spend making your very own personal implement of destruction - most upgrading efforts don't achieve much more than you can get in the armory simply through getting a specialized weapon kit. Also, I'm not sure the humble laser rifle is a good long-term investment - after two missions you can just chuck it and get a cutting laser (+1 in short and medium ranges, really powerful) or a high energy projector (+3(!!!) in short range, can fire once a minute (possibly more, if you get a better generator) due to the generator that comes with it) for 8 and 9 tokens, respectively. The Gauss rifle, however, doesn't have a "it's just better" equivalent, and you can load increasingly cruel and lethal ammo into it in addition to available weapon kits and your own mods. The only downsides of the Gauss rifle are the fact that you absolutely need ammo for it, where a generator may be good for the laser rifle and the fact that you need 4 strength (which isn't that tall of an order) to use it safely.))
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:35:12 pm by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: August 22, 2012, 12:51:34 pm »

Okay, wasn't quite sure where everything was in relation.  Let me amend-

Run back and around to get the gun, knocking over food crates to slow him down.  Get the rifle and blast him.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: August 22, 2012, 01:52:31 pm »

((Are there CON compensators?))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: August 22, 2012, 01:56:44 pm »

((Wait, you don't want to roll Con:[6+3+1]? However, I do recall piecewise saying there's a compensator for everything.))
EDIT: ((I can imagine it now: a conventional weapons mercenary dual-wielding high energy projectors with added improved generators to allow firing a blast once per 20 seconds each. I can't help but salivate at the thought of the possible destruction and reckless irresponsibility required to make this work! Why, the collateral damage alone would be absolute murder.))
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:03:29 pm by Harry Baldman »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: August 22, 2012, 01:57:27 pm »

(( Should be. But why would you need one? I mean, it seems that Con is the only skill which has no 'non-lethal' application, and you can't possibly screw with overkilling (apart from very few selected situations, I believe), can you? :P

EDIT: Ninja'd :) ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: August 22, 2012, 02:06:28 pm »

Adapt laser rifle with permament power source.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: August 22, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »

((Actually, conventional weaponry can be used for impromptu surgeries and controlled demolition, only the latter of which is feasible with the HEP. How often there would be a situation that calls for controlled demolition is difficult to say. For instance, a convict with an HEP could potentially become a serious liability in a cave mission. Out in the open or in sturdy, megalithic alien ruins the HEP should work perfectly, though.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: August 22, 2012, 03:28:20 pm »

((Actually, conventional weaponry can be used for impromptu surgeries and controlled demolition, only the latter of which is feasible with the HEP. How often there would be a situation that calls for controlled demolition is difficult to say. For instance, a convict with an HEP could potentially become a serious liability in a cave mission. Out in the open or in sturdy, megalithic alien ruins the HEP should work perfectly, though.))

((Screw the HEP. When I get back to the ship, one of the first things I'm buying, other than repairs and a mod for my custom wristblade, is a kilogram block of high explosives and a couple of detonators. Nothing better for opening a locked door without a key or lockpick. Or, making a new door, for that matter. Plus, it won't go through the wall or door and continue on, destroying everything in its way until it stops, like the HEP probably would.))
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:31:10 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: August 22, 2012, 03:33:05 pm »

((I do believe screwing up with an HEP would be far less dangerous than screwing up with explosives - particularly the kind we get in the armory. That is, unless you can specifically order some non-nuclear explosives from the armory or make them yourself, the latter of which might be really dangerous. Or pick a third option and use a cutting torch or cutting laser, cutting torch being the sensible, cheap and safe option.))
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:36:41 pm by Harry Baldman »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:03 pm »

((Pffft. You guys are overcomplicating things. Just get a kinetic amp and a bomb. Arm bomb, then throw at target and you've solved the problem.))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: August 22, 2012, 03:39:20 pm »

((This is the same stuff in my High-EX grenade type. Completely non-nuclear, it's a lot like C-4, only possibly less powerful, it's a mining charge. Mold it into the shape you want, like, say, a shaped charge, insert detonator, get away, and detonate. I don't think it will blow up without a detonator, so it would be equipment failure for it to go off with anyone who isn't an idiot in range.

And it's fairly cheap. PW quoted me about 2-3 tokens a kilogram, with some detonators, while I was checking it out in Tinker.))
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:42:25 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: August 22, 2012, 03:57:27 pm »

((I think throwing a 125 ton charge at somebody within throwing range would definitely solve many problems - all of your target's and all of yours. So I'll give it that, at least. The mining charges, however, are a more civilized and refined tool for infiltration and destruction. And they sound safe, too.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5669 on: August 22, 2012, 03:57:59 pm »

((I assume Timmy will be unconscious for a couple of turns?))
Dream sweet dreams of my dear departed friend, Mr. Pillow.
((On modding the laser rifle: in the end, the whole laser upgrading thing relies on how much time you're willing to spend making your very own personal implement of destruction - most upgrading efforts don't achieve much more than you can get in the armory simply through getting a specialized weapon kit. Also, I'm not sure the humble laser rifle is a good long-term investment - after two missions you can just chuck it and get a cutting laser (+1 in short and medium ranges, really powerful) or a high energy projector (+3(!!!) in short range, can fire once a minute (possibly more, if you get a better generator) due to the generator that comes with it) for 8 and 9 tokens, respectively. The Gauss rifle, however, doesn't have a "it's just better" equivalent, and you can load increasingly cruel and lethal ammo into it in addition to available weapon kits and your own mods. The only downsides of the Gauss rifle are the fact that you absolutely need ammo for it, where a generator may be good for the laser rifle and the fact that you need 4 strength (which isn't that tall of an order) to use it safely.))
(pretty much.)
[Will:5]
You dream about frolicking through a field with Mr.pillow.

Okay, wasn't quite sure where everything was in relation.  Let me amend-

Run back and around to get the gun, knocking over food crates to slow him down.  Get the rifle and blast him.

[dex:5]
[man dex:1]
You roll back onto your feet, ignoring the pain of your arm flopping behind you, and sprint into the back of the store as the worker walks into your isle.You run over several isles and run up an isle at random, panting as you charge toward the hazy red of the outside world. You make it through the smashed front windows dive to the ground, scooping up your rifle from where it landed on the cracking blacktop of the parking lot. Overhead, the dull red clouds of sunrise boil and are shot through with flickering illumination as lightning leaps through them. A light shower of acidic rain begins to fall.

You aim your rifle back at the grocery store, sweeping it hurriedly back and forth, waiting for the worker to leap through the empty window panes and charge at you. You hear nothing but the soft patter of rain and you see nothing moving in the dusty gray of the store.

((Are there CON compensators?))
Yep. Though the cheapest ones will just stop you from shooting all together. Only the most expensive ones will actually let you shoot and not fuck things up horribly (in most cases).

Adapt laser rifle with permament power source.
Alright, thats doable. Now there are a few things to think about with this, namely price, weight and capacity. How much are you looking to spend on this source? How much do you want it to weigh and how long of continuous fire do you want it to give the laser before it has to stop and recharge a bit?

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 2101