_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5933263 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: Kinder Surpise of Death
« Reply #5475 on: August 19, 2012, 03:44:37 am »

This wasn't obvious in mission, but you remember in the first mission when you fired randomly into the tower? Yeah, that saved faith's life. See, you hit the control surface for the turret with those random shots and deactivated it (It was the tablet thing that was full of holes when the rest of the team found it). Without that, faith would be dead, hit while slowly crawling, and the rest of the team would be stuck. Might have been a complete wash.
((Holy shit. This also means Feyri was even more badass in that first mission.

But, surely Faith would have noticed the towers starting to spin and gotten a chance to dodge them, right? Also, does this mean the entire team crawled to the base for nothing, and the towers didn't fire because they couldn't fire on anything anymore, rather than because they couldn't notice low/slow targets?

If so, Steve must have loved that part. Superstitious monkeys. :P))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: August 19, 2012, 04:24:01 am »

"Well, other than the fact that we are on the worst version of death row possible, doomed to die horribly and alone in some forsaken hellhole while being taunted by an AI that likes to see us suffer for it's own programs that represent happiness, then no I suppose not."

He took a breath and scratched his chin.

"So you got something from this guy, huh? What did you get and can I have a look at the packaging it came in? I'm trying to figure out what's useful, dangerous and useless among this pile of stuff before I get anything."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: August 19, 2012, 04:43:51 am »

"I don't have the packaging on me, but it had this golden seven-sided thing on it with this upright line going through it. Inside was this really awesome marble that lets you go on some kind of incredible drug trip and, uh, do magic."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: August 19, 2012, 05:04:08 am »

((Dom's human, but she is far from normal when it comes to strength. Or endurance, really. If 5 is normal human, consider that Dom has 9 in both.))
Ah. Well, I guess thats one difference between that and this. We don't have humans who have that kind of strength and endurance because...well, humans aren't like that. Pretty much the same reason we don't have actual psychics, just people using machines through a direct brain interface. Then again, I'm guessing she has some very good in game reasons for being so unstoppable and I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know them.

(It's because Pyro doesn't know how the Dev-22 system works. It's a bit like this system in that for every three points in a stat, you get 1/6 chance of a +1 to that stat. Dom really only has a half a chance of gaining +1 to Strength on Strength-related rolls (not counting her class bonus that always gives her +1 to Strength for, I believe, non-combat purposes like moving heavy stuff. Because she's a small latina, I lampshaded it with the explanation that she's just freakishly strong, but both statistically and realistically it's not the case; someone like Ted Arcidi, who could bench 700 pounds, is freakishly strong, but she can only carry about 250 pounds of equipment on her own). Basically, Dom cannot beat Jim in a fist-fight; Jim has a straight +1 to Strength due to his arms and additionally is metal, so she'd probably have to make constant Endurance rolls to avoid breaking her hands on him. On the flipside, Dominique is a powerful kinetic psychic and can probably rip him apart before he ever gets close enough to hit her. Almost every instance of her doing something really !!STRONG!! is with the aid of her psychic powers, although to be fair she is statistically the second strongest person on the team.

Or to put it another way, since points in stats are worth more in this system since it's a 1/3 chance as opposed to 1/6, Empyrea could easily beat her in an arm-wrestling contest.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 05:13:01 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: August 19, 2012, 05:28:29 am »

Keep on shooting the blob 'till it dies.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: August 19, 2012, 06:41:27 am »

"Do... Magic... What exactly DID you do, or think you did And where did you leave that embelm?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: August 19, 2012, 06:52:02 am »

"Well, there was this pillow in the barracks, you know, and I wanted it gone. You know, as an experiment. So, right as I will it to be gone, it, like, changes color a few times, then turns to ash and falls apart. I'm like 'whoa, that's cool', but then my, uh, blood vessels start squirming. Now they're all weird."
Timmy shows Bishop his arm, points out blood vessels.
"See? I'm pretty sure I can do other magic, but I don't want to get any weirder just yet. Maybe on a mission. I still feel pretty funky, like I could destroy everything around me with a thought. Cool, huh?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: August 19, 2012, 07:16:03 am »

Bishop looks at Timmy's arm and upon seeing the veins jerks back quickly.

"That's not natural. Go see the doc about that right now, if you know what's good for you, and get help. Don't try any more of this 'magic' until you're sure you really want to end up worse. Also, don't touch anyone incase it's infectious. Now get going!"

Go grab that wrapping as soon as I get my answers from the dude with the mask.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: August 19, 2012, 07:20:31 am »

"Well, of course it's not natural. It's better! Besides, magic is supposed to make you weird."
Smile and walk off to barracks.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: August 19, 2012, 07:36:34 am »

Roger sits down at one of the tables in the rec room and inspects his laser rifle, looking in particular for ways to open it up, or ways it would be likely to fail.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5485 on: August 19, 2012, 10:05:19 am »

(( :o

So there are events that happen when we think nothing has happened. Or...when we can't sense what has happened. That leaves all other 5 and the ongoing mission to re-read scrutiny.

Woah. :D This just got more amazing...is that even possible?))

Edit:

It was there in plain sight. And we couldn't know about it due to us not knowing anything about the structure.

This is mind blowingly awesome.

In most cases there are a lot of things happening behind the scenes that you and your team just aren't aware of. Another good example is the one with the murderer and all the various actions he did. He actually spent most of the mission hiding in a tree, using animals to spy on you and then occasionally resting and letting his mind recover. Well, that and using an ability that you were never told about. But he actually was using the large building as a decoy. There was a man in there armed with his Razor, all ready to give an archvillian speech while the real guy scampered off. But you guys kinda gave him all the cover he needed :P.

"Yeah, a shoebox would be great, thanks. And the padding's okay, too. Thanks!"
Take all of my items, walk away from the armory, bumping into the disagreeable-looking fellow (Bishop) in the hallway.
"Hi! I'm Timmy. Who might you be?"
You take your bits and bobs and head off. You get a bit lost and end up going down the research lab hall. You find bishop and a masked man standing around on the side of the hall.

((Dude, that is AWESOME! Definately something to keep in mind!))

"Well, you aren't COMPLETELY hostile, so that's something. Thanks."

Bishop raises an eyebrow at the man with the mask.

"You alright there? Anyway, who bought something from you?"

As he wait for an answer, he takes notice of Timmy bumping into him.

"I'm Bishop... You seem to be in a good mood, what's up with you?"
"He bought one," the man says, pointing to timmy," And so did the guy in the bed. And freakshow over there." He points to Ivan who is still standing around with a blank look on his hideously mutated face.

"What, is there something I should be awfully worried or sad about? Well, one thing that did happen to me was the... uh... thing I bought. That was pretty great. So I guess I am a bit happier than usual. Anyway, you're one of the convicts, right?"
EDIT: ((Feyri did something very awesome, immensely useful in the mission. Sadly for her, she will probably never find this out and keep spiraling into a depression.))
EDIT2: ((Since the sphere was randomly selected, I have to wonder what the roll was. If I had to guess, I'd say a 6. But, since I really don't know much about the sphere's potential applications and dangers, it could be a 1 as well.))
What you get is dependent on rolls that create the designation sign. And then from that sign I create the object. I basically have a list of possible parts of the designation, roll to see which one I get and then generate the object based on that criteria. It can lead to some odd things, like harmless weapons and insanely dangerous medical devices, but it insures some fun randomness and forces me to think, which is never a bad thing.

This wasn't obvious in mission, but you remember in the first mission when you fired randomly into the tower? Yeah, that saved faith's life. See, you hit the control surface for the turret with those random shots and deactivated it (It was the tablet thing that was full of holes when the rest of the team found it). Without that, faith would be dead, hit while slowly crawling, and the rest of the team would be stuck. Might have been a complete wash.
((Holy shit. This also means Feyri was even more badass in that first mission.

But, surely Faith would have noticed the towers starting to spin and gotten a chance to dodge them, right? Also, does this mean the entire team crawled to the base for nothing, and the towers didn't fire because they couldn't fire on anything anymore, rather than because they couldn't notice low/slow targets?

If so, Steve must have loved that part. Superstitious monkeys. :P))
You would have gotten a dex roll, at a penalty because you're flat on the ground, but you could have avoided it, yeah. And yes, the entire team crawled for literally no reason. Steve didn't really find it funny because he didn't know any more then you did, but I found it pretty amusing.

((Dom's human, but she is far from normal when it comes to strength. Or endurance, really. If 5 is normal human, consider that Dom has 9 in both.))
Ah. Well, I guess thats one difference between that and this. We don't have humans who have that kind of strength and endurance because...well, humans aren't like that. Pretty much the same reason we don't have actual psychics, just people using machines through a direct brain interface. Then again, I'm guessing she has some very good in game reasons for being so unstoppable and I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know them.

(It's because Pyro doesn't know how the Dev-22 system works. It's a bit like this system in that for every three points in a stat, you get 1/6 chance of a +1 to that stat. Dom really only has a half a chance of gaining +1 to Strength on Strength-related rolls (not counting her class bonus that always gives her +1 to Strength for, I believe, non-combat purposes like moving heavy stuff. Because she's a small latina, I lampshaded it with the explanation that she's just freakishly strong, but both statistically and realistically it's not the case; someone like Ted Arcidi, who could bench 700 pounds, is freakishly strong, but she can only carry about 250 pounds of equipment on her own). Basically, Dom cannot beat Jim in a fist-fight; Jim has a straight +1 to Strength due to his arms and additionally is metal, so she'd probably have to make constant Endurance rolls to avoid breaking her hands on him. On the flipside, Dominique is a powerful kinetic psychic and can probably rip him apart before he ever gets close enough to hit her. Almost every instance of her doing something really !!STRONG!! is with the aid of her psychic powers, although to be fair she is statistically the second strongest person on the team.

Or to put it another way, since points in stats are worth more in this system since it's a 1/3 chance as opposed to 1/6, Empyrea could easily beat her in an arm-wrestling contest.)
I figured it was something along those lines. Like I said, I just don't know enough about the system or the game to make or have informed anything at this point. All I know about it really is that he's much more organized then me :P. It would be interesting to see Dom fight Jim though, since that Kinetic amp of yours makes you pretty damn powerful as well (remember that mob of people you psychically uppercutted into the low stratosphere like fleshy fireworks?) but the conversions needed would probably be like putting a salt water water fish in a tub of fresh water and bleach.

Keep on shooting the blob 'till it dies.
[con:3+1]
[con:2+1]
You open fire with both your coilgun and plasma projector, hypersonic shells the size of your arm and orbs of burning plasma tear wildly through the creature, shredding it apart. No single shot is fatal but the combined onslaught leaves the beast perforated, leaking bile and blood as it rolls a few more feet before dying.

Bishop looks at Timmy's arm and upon seeing the veins jerks back quickly.

"That's not natural. Go see the doc about that right now, if you know what's good for you, and get help. Don't try any more of this 'magic' until you're sure you really want to end up worse. Also, don't touch anyone incase it's infectious. Now get going!"

Go grab that wrapping as soon as I get my answers from the dude with the mask.
You attempt to make a quick escape from the creepy man with his creepy veins, walking quickly toward the barracks and the wrapping there in. But the man starts following you, walking just behind you all the way to the barracks. You snatch the open capsule off the ground by the bed and turn around to see Timmy just standing there in the entrance to the room, grinning. Oh dear.

"Well, of course it's not natural. It's better! Besides, magic is supposed to make you weird."
Smile and walk off to barracks.
You head off to the barracks behind bishop, a great big smile on your face as you think about all the magic you'll be doing. You stop as you step into the barracks, thinking about which bed you want to potentially drop paint on.

Roger sits down at one of the tables in the rec room and inspects his laser rifle, looking in particular for ways to open it up, or ways it would be likely to fail.
You sit down at one of the tables in the mess hall and put your laser rifle down in front of you. It's an ugly thing, clearly designed on the cheap with bare functionality in mind; it's not much more then a long metal box with a rifle butt on one end, and a hole on the other marking where death comes out. The hole looks has evidence of melting and it looks like they made it simply by firing the weapon until it melted through rather then actually machining a hole. The case around the rifle looks to be held together with a number of bolts and nuts along either side of the case, a clam shell of metal protecting the delicate inner bits. You give the case a bit of a rap with your knuckles and it rings hollowly. The metal of the case isn't very thick, probably to cut costs.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: August 19, 2012, 10:20:42 am »

Bishop pointed at Timmy with a serious look on his face, unamused.

"Don't. Don't even think about it. I will rip you a new one if you try."

Leave, making sure not to touch this potentially infectious strange man, and go find Mesk. Take the insignia's on those for my own and compare them to the one I have.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: August 19, 2012, 10:26:24 am »

Get my suit from the locker and paint "TIMMY" on it (EDIT: the chest area) in large friendly letters (multicolored!). Under my name, paint a regular heptagon with a vertical line through it.
"Big Tim always told me not to think too much. He said I'm not very good at it. What do you mean, anyway? If you think I'll try magic on you, don't worry. You're on the 'friend' list, not the 'kill' list."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:41:42 am by Harry Baldman »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: August 19, 2012, 10:29:33 am »

Raise hands in air and shout.

"YEAH!!"

((How on earth is my character so well?))
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:50:31 am by Tavik Toth »

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:04 am »

Roger sets the rifle aside and opens up the emergency kit, checking the contents and organising them to make sure he can what he wants quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 2101