_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5925948 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: Hightech death machines before hos
« Reply #3930 on: July 08, 2012, 10:44:31 pm »

"J-J-Just get back here!"
After he yells at Milno, Thomas sends a message to May.
"Did you know there's a video of what we did on the internet?"
"Yeah. We got good reviews too! Maybe we should get more people to join next time."
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3931 on: July 08, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »

Try the idea of integrating the wristblade into the "bone" structure of a synthflesh prosthetic, with it coming out just above the first knuckle group.

((Also, might I suggest a Gamma Ray Laser instead of a Xaser? Relatively simple, just induce gamma emission in a rod of, oh, say, Hafnium? How much concentrated high-energy radiation can these suits be expected to take?

But, yeah. No complicated optics or any such stuff like for a regular laser or xaser, but inducing gamma emission might prove... difficult.

Eh, it would probably end up far too expensive, and you'd have to use a new induced gamma emission material rod each time you fire.))
Geez, missed you twice.

As per integrating it into the flesh completely, thats gonna be tricky. First, it's not like there's a lot of extra room in there, and this thing isn't small. So you'd basically be digging out big chunks of flesh in order to stick it in there. Now, if you mean just attaching it to the bone and then having the actual mechanism be above the skin, then thats fine, thats pretty much as simple as welding a pole from the bone to the bottom of the thing.

(Ugh, I'm going to have to change my speech color, everyone's using Orange now. >.<)

VR Jim: Somehow use extranet connection to beam video to Real Jim along with notes that he should consider actual upgrades. Snark if he refuses to listen to reason.
I'm already treading dangerous ground letting you two fuck about in the VR while also in mission, but if you two start talking and, god help me, tinkering, then...gah...I'll have everyone doing things in both threads at the same time.

Load up the power pack, replace the laser rifle joined to it with a plug that magnetically attaches to a socket, scans it, then sends wires down the socket to power it or drain power from it. Take Milnos armor, make it thinner and more flexible, with a slot on the back for the power pack. Also, try to bring up a VR Milno and a VR Nekarious, ask them for recommendations as for what to do or not do.
Alright, lets start with that plug. Now, what you want to do there is completely possible, but not terribly easy. For this to work as described its gonna be a pretty complex mechanism; first, you'll need a camera to do the scanning, then a computer and some custom software to actually look at the data from the camera and pick out where to put the contacts. Then, for the contacts, you'll need some very small robotic arms capable of sticking/wrapping the contacts where they need to go. That and the raw magnetic coupler to hold it. A coupler that will need to be pretty damn powerful to hold in place if you want to use it roughly, which I assume you do.

In all, it's not exactly cheap or easy to assemble, but if you want it, you're free to try it.

Oh, and you summon the two bots.

"Sonar, then. Well, let's go for the next one. Still need to test out the laser."

Reset.

Randomly choose a known motile xeno as the enemy. Start a duel in the xeno's native surroundings, putting us at a randomized distance between 100 and 1000 feet. Display xeno information before the battle starts, then unpause.

The simulation resets to an antarctic, frozen ice wasteland with a dim blue sun overhead.

The information  bubble that pops up describes an "Iceflow gulper" a sedentary creature that clings to the underside of sections of ice and ambushes it's prey.

Look up any treaties, mutual understandings, or just respectful distances the UWM has with any other alien race. Are there any "civilizations" we have something other than an all-out-war or noticed-each-other-didn't-care status with?

Also examine what tends to cause problems on UWM worlds. Specifically, if the magisters are so smart, why do their worlds tend to be oppressed and possibly unpleasant to live on?

Finally, take a glance at any starships designed for personal use. Roughly how costly are they and what can they do?

1.There aren't really that many "civilized" alien races around. There are some like the Haebi, which we don't know what the fuck to make of them, others like the three tongued guys who are basically so far beneath us that we are watching them like ants in a jar, and a few that are in our technology bracket, more or less, and even a handful that are more advanced then us.  But there aren't a whole lot of living civilizations out there that we can really have nice conversations with. There are a few, a few which we basically have a "Live and let live" policy with (Though to be honest they usually spin that as "We let them live." message) but most are either too different, too primitive, too advanced or too dead.

2.Because thing's aren't simple. Rather then sit here and try to explain it, I'll give you an example.

So lets say we have a planet. It's a nice little civilized planet with a good, diverse textiles industry that makes most of it's income by exporting materials to the UWM Military. Now, lets say that over a few decades or maybe a century all these different textile companies are slowly bought out or merge or fail till we finally end up with a single company that controls the production of all textiles, more or less. And since they have a monopoly, this company starts cutting worker pay so that they can in turn sell their products for less while still making a larger profit. And lets say that cost cutting got to the point that the workers were basically slaves to the corporation, buying everything through a company store on credit, insuring that they'd have a perpetual debt they could never get out of.

Now we have a planet where the majority of people are living a very shitty life, but who is really to blame? The Corporation? All they're doing is trying to do is sell their product for the cheapest price possible; they're not trying to ruin lives or oppress the workers, even though they end up doing so. What about the Local government who allowed this system to come into existence?  The magistar for being complacent and not putting a stop to it? The army for indirectly encouraging it by buying the cheaper products?

And whats more, when should they step in? How much power should they have to control the economy? How much control over the private actions of the citizens is too much? These things are complex, multi-tiered and morally gray and you're not gonna find someone to point a finger at. Thats just the way it is.

3.When it comes to star ships for personal use...they're pretty damn rare. Spaceships are expensive and space travel is dangerous. It's a lot like personal planes today, but even rarer. Almost everything is done in large scale with lots of people, not single people all flying around in their own ships.

Begin writing and publishing fanfictions involving H.M.R.C. crewmates in crack-shipping.

((Crack-shipping: romantically and/or sexually pairing two characters up which would normally never have a relationship. I.e., MilnoxEmpyrean, FaithxFeyri, ArmoryMasterxAnyone, etc.))
"...Milno rubbed Jim's enormous, buzzing, chrome appendage and salivated at the thought of the warm, white liquid he would soon imbibe..."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Urgh so confusing, so many VR-people! D:))

Charro facepalms. Then he climbs out of the machine and, being something of a comfort eater, goes over to the food dispenser. At the last moment he decides not to select a plate of sugary death, instead grabbing a cup of 'drink 2'.
He'll sit at an unnoccupied table, glancing about the room as he drinks it, and clear all thoughts of owls from his mind before returning to the VR.
>Get some drink 2, relax, calm down.
You take a nice mouthful of this...whatever it is...and rest your head in your hands. Ugh.

Lukas stares at his feet quietly for a while. Then he looks up at the doctor and say "Well, my alternative was to go have myself killed. Can you be a little more specific about this debt that will have to be paid? I mean, is it gonna make me want to kill myself even more?"

Ask this
The doctor looks at you for a long second before speaking.

"That depends on you.  All  I want is data."

((Too many VR simulations of everyone. Too many!  :-\))

Discard x-ray laser idea.

Issue new idea on laser modification.

"Well, I was thinking about how laser amplification would work, and how it's power degrades over time. Is it possible to rig up a series of amplifiers along the laser's path that would increase it's power, instead of using a large power source? Or...a prismatic beam, perhaps. Meaning that the power would remain the same, but increases over time as it's set on a stationary target?"

Feyri wondered if all her ideas were just looked over as trash from everyone else.

Ask...once more.

"Computer, what is up with all the VR simulations that I haven't spawned?"

>Well, extra focusing is easy enough, just need to add more focusing chambers. Cog has done something like that already, actually. You may want to speak to him.

And as per those vr simulations, I'm not really sure. We maybe having a personality cascade effect here. If it keeps going like this I'm gonna have to hard reboot everything.

((I'm down with culling the VR's. It's time to thin the herd!

And I wouldn't be suprised if there was a lot of crying with May and Thomas, ideally mostly on Thomas' end.))

"An oversized helmet... Right... Well, how much would this one currently cost, and how much for an oversized one? And if I can't get what I want working properly, what would be a better suit, or three, for going on missions with that is the same size as the MK suits?"

Ask the all-knowing Steve!
(Harvey Birdman reference?)
>Well, that helmet is about 5, and an oversized one is about 6-7 depending on the size. As per better suit, better in what way?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: July 08, 2012, 11:00:44 pm »

(Two things: You don't have to worry about me tinkering ever, and OH GOD WHY MILNO OF ALL PEOPLE)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: July 08, 2012, 11:04:49 pm »

((At least Nick won't be replicating his virtual image, unlike somebody snarky...))
((He isn't replicating himself. It is those people who keep replicating him.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: July 08, 2012, 11:10:45 pm »

Cog...must not be the other term for gear...unsure. Must be a new HMRC member? Did I meet him?

"Computer, could I request an information file on his work? Is it possible to attach a prism at the end of the laser to aid in focusing, making it better at medium to long range...if the power-over-time cannot be achieved?"

((At least Nick won't be replicating his virtual image, unlike somebody snarky...))
((So Milno 3 wasn't done by himself?

Hm, I tried to end your clone. Failed.))

(Two things: You don't have to worry about me tinkering ever, and OH GOD WHY MILNO OF ALL PEOPLE)
((Imagination.  :P))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: July 08, 2012, 11:13:29 pm »

(I don't... but... why couldn't we have had Faith x Feyri is all I'm asking... ;-;)

VR Jim: Wait to see if message went through.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: July 08, 2012, 11:15:49 pm »

((So Milno 3 wasn't done by himself?))
((Thomas summoned it. Heh. Worry not, VR Milnos 1 and 3 are going to be quiet and leaving soon. It is VR Milno 2 that is...What the hell 3 Milnos already, stop spawning so many copies of him.))

(I don't... but... why couldn't we have had Faith x Feyri is all I'm asking... ;-;)
((Chill dude. It is "fanfiction", and there is not even any real offense.))

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: July 08, 2012, 11:16:34 pm »

"Yeah. We got good reviews too! Maybe we should get more people to join next time."
"W-What? Other people? Y'know what? I'm not even suprised. I'm not suprised you don't care. Honestly, I don't care that you don't care. Whatever you want."
After he finishes ranting, Thomas tests the packs power output and fragility. He also tests the more complex variant of Milnos armor and the smaller variant.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:41:14 am by Spinal_Taper »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: July 08, 2012, 11:18:22 pm »

"Ideally, I want it to be able to actually take a good bit of damage, both in impact terms and temperature, but I also want it to be easily modifiable so I can customize it how I would like it, especially in the helmet for adding stuff like more sensors, emp shielding, head cushioning and a neck iris. By the way, has anyone ever come up with a bit of equipment that helps protect someone's mind from psychic, or whatever, intrusion?"

Surely Steve knows the answers?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: July 08, 2012, 11:19:27 pm »

(@Caellath: But... but... Faith x Feyri... ;-; Nah I'm just kidding around. :P)

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: July 08, 2012, 11:24:04 pm »

Lukas frowns at that last remark. He thought about it for a few seconds before speaking again. "Your secrecy about this suggests that there is more to it than that. It also suggests that you are not going to tell me much more. However, let me just ask you this. Will you require me to actively gather data or will you put me through some kind of sick experiment?"

Lukas didn't wait for an answer. "You know what. Fuck it! Let's just get it over with. Whatever you have in mind for me can't be much worse than my current life and at least I get to be useful to someone for a change some sicko...."

Volunteer for project 'I am most probably going to regret this'.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: July 08, 2012, 11:31:10 pm »

Examine current legal (to the HMRC) genetic augmentations. What exactly can they do, how hard is it, does it have any side effects or risks, etc?

Also pull up and examine a random civilization more advanced than ours.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: July 08, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »

Charro took his time finishing his drink, calming down and taking slow, deep breaths. Eventually he stood, placed his hat back on his head and headed back to the VR, feeling rather foolish about his earlier behaviour as he plugged himself in again.
>This time, summon several tophats identical to my own, a big heap of parts and materials and experiment with the possibility of turning it into a weapon, i.e: replacing the brim with a sharp, circular blade for a throwing weapon, or adding a secret sleeping-gas canister inside somewhere, or perhaps inserting a spring between the crown and brim and using the resultant slingshot-type-thing to launch projectiles. Chuckle excitedly to myself whilst doing so, of course. What an awesome idea!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3943 on: July 09, 2012, 01:03:49 am »

Cog...must not be the other term for gear...unsure. Must be a new HMRC member? Did I meet him?

"Computer, could I request an information file on his work? Is it possible to attach a prism at the end of the laser to aid in focusing, making it better at medium to long range...if the power-over-time cannot be achieved?"

((So Milno 3 wasn't done by himself?

Hm, I tried to end your clone. Failed.))

((Imagination.  :P))

>You don't need a prism, just add a focusing chamber. Unless you want to fuck about with a prism for hours only to get something that isn't as good.

As per cog's files, I can't give them to you without his permission, but he's on board, In the infirmary I believe. Nothing to stop you from just talking to him.

VR Jim: Wait to see if message went through.
Because it was the most unlikely romance I could imagine.

"W-What? Other people? A-Actually, I'm not even suprised. I'm not suprised you don't care. But, I don't care that you don't care. Whatever you want."
After he finishes ranting, Thomas tests the packs power output and fragility. He also tests the more complex variant of Milnos armor and the smaller variant.
The power pack has enough of an output to keep the laser rifle firing continuously and is fairly rugged, though ducking behind it as a shield isn't recommended.

As per that whole armor thing...expand upon what you mean exactly.

"Ideally, I want it to be able to actually take a good bit of damage, both in impact terms and temperature, but I also want it to be easily modifiable so I can customize it how I would like it, especially in the helmet for adding stuff like more sensors, emp shielding, head cushioning and a neck iris. By the way, has anyone ever come up with a bit of equipment that helps protect someone's mind from psychic, or whatever, intrusion?"

Surely Steve knows the answers?
>Well, industrial suit is very tough, designed to survive a lot, but it's also not designed for expansion. You could expand it, but you'd have to get a bit clever in how you do so and it might require having the sensors and electronics more exposed.

As per protection from intrusion, there are ways, but they are tend to be large, cumbersome, expensive and prone to failing on occasion. Usually messily.

Lukas frowns at that last remark. He thought about it for a few seconds before speaking again. "Your secrecy about this suggests that there is more to it than that. It also suggests that you are not going to tell me much more. However, let me just ask you this. Will you require me to actively gather data or will you put me through some kind of sick experiment?"

Lukas didn't wait for an answer. "You know what. Fuck it! Let's just get it over with. Whatever you have in mind for me can't be much worse than my current life and at least I get to be useful to someone for a change some sicko...."

Volunteer for project 'I am most probably going to regret this'.
The doctor directs you into the back and walks beside you as you go.

"What are you good at?"

Examine current legal (to the HMRC) genetic augmentations. What exactly can they do, how hard is it, does it have any side effects or risks, etc?

Also pull up and examine a random civilization more advanced than ours.

1.Ones on the list or all available ones?

2.Living or dead?

Charro took his time finishing his drink, calming down and taking slow, deep breaths. Eventually he stood, placed his hat back on his head and headed back to the VR, feeling rather foolish about his earlier behaviour as he plugged himself in again.
>This time, summon several tophats identical to my own, a big heap of parts and materials and experiment with the possibility of turning it into a weapon, i.e: replacing the brim with a sharp, circular blade for a throwing weapon, or adding a secret sleeping-gas canister inside somewhere, or perhaps inserting a spring between the crown and brim and using the resultant slingshot-type-thing to launch projectiles. Chuckle excitedly to myself whilst doing so, of course. What an awesome idea!
You summon a bunch of hats and random junk.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: July 09, 2012, 01:13:16 am »

Test the 2-inch battlesuit plate armor against lasers, gauss rifles and tesla sabers. Also test the other armor, which is the same as above, but with a 1-inch layer of reflective, conductive and tough metal above it, which is liquid cooled.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 2101